Scarbinsky on Borges

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/ks...7060.xml&coll=2

Borges would like shot as head coach

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Al Borges wants to be a head coach.

"Sure," he said the other day. "I'm 50. I've been coordinating an offense for 20 years. What's the next step?

"You can go to the NFL or become a head coach. Or you can keep doing what you're doing. Which is OK. They can bury me. I'll be fine. I love my job. I'm not saying that.

"But yeah, heck, you sit in the driver's seat for 20 years, you'd like to drive the car a little bit just to see what it's like."

No shock there. Here's the surprise: He hasn't gotten a call about a head coaching job. Not one. Not since he got to Auburn.

Not after the Tigers went 13-0 in 2004 and sent their backfield into the first round of the NFL draft. Or after they finished a 9-3 season in 2005 with the SEC's leading rusher and four career 1,000-yard receivers.

His phone here has rung, but with inquiries about coordinating the offense for other college teams. His response? "I'm just not interested."

Unlike Gene Chizik, Borges doesn't believe he has to leave Auburn to get a shot as a head coach. He left UCLA for Cal for that reason. He doesn't plan to repeat that mistake.

"I like it here," he said. "I really do. Some people may say that as a political statement. I'm very sincere when I say it. I mean it with all my heart. It may change in a year. This is a volatile job. Right now, I ain't going nowhere."

Hiring Borges has been Tommy Tuberville's best personnel decision since proposing to Suzanne Fette. The Auburn program has soared since Jetgate, and the offensive coordinator has been the biggest reason.

Check the stats and the scoreboard. Talk to the man. The next Charlie Weis is right here.

Borges discounts the lack of offers so far. After the 2004 season, he said, "My name really wasn't much. I'd been in the doldrums for a couple years."

Last year, openings were scarce.

"If you have continuously successful seasons and nothing happens, you better start looking at yourself," he said. "You're doing something wrong. I'm too fat. I'm too bald. I'm too old. I'm too something."

His third season on the Plain should be just as charming. This is the first time he's worked with the same starting quarterback for a second straight year since Cade McNown at UCLA.

He coached McNown from last in the Pac-10 in passing efficiency to first in the nation. Imagine the progress Brandon Cox might make.

"If he stays on track," Borges said, "he will improve."

Borges has stayed on the same track for a long time. He's been a college offensive coordinator for 20 straight seasons.

It's something, he said, no one else has done.

How does he know? "I've checked."

Borges flirted with NFL assistant jobs during his days at UCLA but hasn't interviewed with anyone in the league since 1999. He said he no longer cares about going to the pros.

Unless the right college comes along with the right head coaching job, he plans to stay right here.

You know.... I've been thinking about the subject. Borges is a GREAT O.C.... I would not replace him for the world.

But saying that, it also takes another type of person to be a head coach. I'm not saying Borges is not qualified... I'm saying that maybe hes always going to be more of a better O.C. than managing a team.

I think thats the reason why Tuberville has done so well here at Auburn. He manages the Auburn team very very well... whether its hiring, keeping players in check, or making some gametime input.

You know.... I've been thinking about the subject.  Borges is a GREAT O.C.... I would not replace him for the world. 

But saying that, it also takes another type of person to be a head coach.  I'm not saying Borges is not qualified... I'm saying that maybe hes always going to be more of a better O.C. than managing a team.

I think thats the reason why Tuberville has done so well here at Auburn.  He manages the Auburn team very very well... whether its hiring, keeping players in check, or making some gametime input.

251157[/snapback]

Get out the stones and pitchforks!

Of all the coaches Auburn's had in my lifetime -- Jordan, Barfield, Dye, Bowden, Tuberville (wow, that's the same number my 16-year old daughter can say she saw coach at Bama :D ) -- I would have to say that Bowden was probably the best at halftime adjustments, particularly in his first few years. He did make some that backfired, but he also had a knack for bringing an entirely different team to the field in the second half if the first had not gone as well as expected.

I think he probably was a really good X's and O's guy but he just wasn't ready to take on all the responsibilities being a head coach requires. Being HC has so little to do any more with actually knowing the schemes and specifics.

The status -- and the immediate success -- went to Terry's head. His first year, I went to a coaching convention and he was down to earth friendly, accessible and bubbling over with excitement. I really thought he would eventually become one of the great ones. He seemed truly delighted to be there and to mingle with us. The players were inspired by his infectious enthusiasm. By his fourth year, the change was incredible. Aloof, standoffish, dismissive. Made token appearances and always seemed like he had somewhere better to be. Seemingly had little to no interaction with the players. He was so sure of himself, so cocksure, that he refused to see things and refused to listen to people who tried to help him. He could have had a long and successful career at Auburn if he'd followed the same path as Tuberville and been a D1 coordinator and then a head coach at some dinky D1 school before stepping on the stage there.

I'm not one of the ones who lays everything bad at his feet. He's not the first manager promoted too quickly up the chain. Not the first to be unprepared for the responsibility. His implosion was just more public than most.

All I can say is keep up the great work coach! Give us all you have, and the rest will fall into place.

Terry as we all found out was very dependant on Tommy Bowden.

Al Borges will be a head coach one day but I hope he helps put Auburn back into the top 5 teams in the country every year before he leaves.

Al Borges will be a head coach one day but I hope he helps put Auburn back into the top 5 teams in the country every year before he leaves.

251181[/snapback]

========================================================================================================== Terry as we all found out was very dependant on Tommy Bowden

=====================================================

there is reason for tatertots' success at AU.....when tommy split, tater showed us what he could do....i get sick to my stomach every time i see or hear this little drip

251181[/snapback]

That statement quantifies the original arguement. How many of you really thing that Tommy Bowden is a good HC? Anyone? Anyone?

There are folks that are made for that spot and Borges is by far made to be an OC. That's not to say he wouldn't make a good HC, but that there are so many intangibles to being a head man at a major program these days that even he may not know until he actually gets to try.

Maybe your opinions are a little biased because you don't want to lose Coach Borges, but how can you say he probably is only O.C. coordinator material only, when they guy has not had the opportunity as a head coach yet? I don't want to lose the guy either, but I am not going to try to assume he would probably not make a good head coach. Your statements in general have merit and is true in alot of coaches, but I am not going to take that and make the same assumption about Coach Borges. I am not lecturing , but I am kind of laughing and can't help but think you guys are speaking out of hope that he never leaves. :lol:

No doubt I hope he never leaves, but all I was pointing out was that even he doesn't know how he would fare as a HC, because he has never been in that spot. He is a bright enough guy to know how to do all of the things it takes to be successful, but one never knows until put into a situation.

No doubt I hope he never leaves, but all I was pointing out was that even he doesn't know how he would fare as a HC, because he has never been in that spot.  He is a bright enough guy to know how to do all of the things it takes to be successful, but one never knows until put into a situation.

251249[/snapback]

C'mon, admit it, you are being biased. :poke::lol:

No doubt I hope he never leaves, but all I was pointing out was that even he doesn't know how he would fare as a HC, because he has never been in that spot.  He is a bright enough guy to know how to do all of the things it takes to be successful, but one never knows until put into a situation.

251249[/snapback]

251251[/snapback]

NEVER!

;)

251249[/snapback]

251251[/snapback]

NEVER!

;)

251252[/snapback]

:lol: I stand corrected, as fans and alumni, we would never, ever be like that. Personally, I hope the man never gets to prove it, but I sure would feel bad holding him back, if I had the power to do so. I guess every man has to see what he is capable of at least once in his life. Spurrier did it and found it he was a great college football coach and no more then that.

Borges is getting the shaft IMO. Teams are foolish to not even LOOK at Borges when they have an opening.

I've always thought it was b/c of his appearance. But look at Mark Mangino of KU or Ralph Friedgen of Maryland. I dunno... it's the only thing I can think of. It surely can't be b/c he doesn't know what he's doing. He took the stagnant (for the talent you guys had in '03) AU offense to new heights.

Again, this article is VERY easy to translate:

"Coach Borges, PLEASE take a HC job so that uat has a prayer to win an IB" :D

251302[/snapback]

I don't think Scarbinsky really cares one way or the other, but there sure are a LOT of fans in this state that feel that way.

One thing to remember in this is that if(make that when) Borges takes an HC position, CTT will have the best of the best interviewing for his replacement. Borges has already made it perfectly plain that this is the best OC situation in the nation. I feel as though as long as CTT is here, we will be able to reload at the coaching postitions as well as the playing postitions.

Its seems Borges has made it perfectly clear that if he doesn't get a very inticing offer for a HC job such as a consistant top 25 team that he is staying right here. With that being said I don't think he will get the opportunity because he has no experience being a HC.

251302[/snapback]

I don't think Scarbinsky really cares one way or the other, but there sure are a LOT of fans in this state that feel that way.

251303[/snapback]

Bingo!

And those are the simpletons he is trying to stroke into buying a paper. :thumbsup:

251302[/snapback]

I totally agree. The bammaerham news needs/wants to level the playing field for uat.

Another thought that I have made before but with very little comment is.......

I think CTT could possibly move up to AD within 2-4 years and CAB may be given his first real shot at a hc position right here at AU.

251302[/snapback]

251303[/snapback]

Bingo!

And those are the simpletons he is trying to stroke into buying a paper. :thumbsup:

251320[/snapback]

IF the bammer Media (Hit and Run Media) of this state knew all, as they suggest.

Borges would have left to become the HC at San Jose St. the week following the 2005 Iron Bowl.

CTT would have been named the HC at Texas A&M in May 2006.

And finally,

It would be proven that Logan Young did not die a drunk convicted criminal, but yet a kind, generous open-hearted friend of Paul Bryant.

Sorry, I don't have links.

No links required. Just my opinion.

You know.... I've been thinking about the subject.  Borges is a GREAT O.C.... I would not replace him for the world. 

But saying that, it also takes another type of person to be a head coach.  I'm not saying Borges is not qualified... I'm saying that maybe hes always going to be more of a better O.C. than managing a team.

I think thats the reason why Tuberville has done so well here at Auburn.  He manages the Auburn team very very well... whether its hiring, keeping players in check, or making some gametime input.

251157[/snapback]

Get out the stones and pitchforks!

Of all the coaches Auburn's had in my lifetime -- Jordan, Barfield, Dye, Bowden, Tuberville (wow, that's the same number my 16-year old daughter can say she saw coach at Bama :D ) -- I would have to say that Bowden was probably the best at halftime adjustments, particularly in his first few years. He did make some that backfired, but he also had a knack for bringing an entirely different team to the field in the second half if the first had not gone as well as expected.

I think he probably was a really good X's and O's guy but he just wasn't ready to take on all the responsibilities being a head coach requires. Being HC has so little to do any more with actually knowing the schemes and specifics.

The status -- and the immediate success -- went to Terry's head. His first year, I went to a coaching convention and he was down to earth friendly, accessible and bubbling over with excitement. I really thought he would eventually become one of the great ones. He seemed truly delighted to be there and to mingle with us. The players were inspired by his infectious enthusiasm. By his fourth year, the change was incredible. Aloof, standoffish, dismissive. Made token appearances and always seemed like he had somewhere better to be. Seemingly had little to no interaction with the players. He was so sure of himself, so cocksure, that he refused to see things and refused to listen to people who tried to help him. He could have had a long and successful career at Auburn if he'd followed the same path as Tuberville and been a D1 coordinator and then a head coach at some dinky D1 school before stepping on the stage there.

I'm not one of the ones who lays everything bad at his feet. He's not the first manager promoted too quickly up the chain. Not the first to be unprepared for the responsibility. His implosion was just more public than most.

251166[/snapback]

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Bowden was one of the better GAMEDAY coaches we've had.

However, that was only ONE attribute that matters. We all know he couldn't cut it in the other areas. (Recruiting, education, leading young men, etc.)

Borges is getting the shaft IMO. Teams are foolish to not even LOOK at Borges when they have an opening.

251278[/snapback]

That's easy to say now that you've seen Borges produce. MANY on this board, myself included, seriously questioned CTT's decision to hire Borges.

If a school wants Borges bad enough, we'll lose him just like CTT has lost his other high profile assistants...it's all business. Ones thing's for sure...CTT knows how to hire talented assistants.

It would be proven that Logan Young did not die a drunk convicted criminal, but yet a kind, generous open-hearted friend of Paul Bryant.

Same deal with Ken Lay..... when they're dead, give it up. Are you so insecure that it pissed you off that the media didn't come out with a 24/7 Logan Young smear fest?

That's a mental sickness, dude.

You are on an Auburn board trying to defend uat and you call someone else "mentally sick"?

Archived