Stat of the day...

StatTiger

Since 1987, Auburn has compiled 285 pass plays of 30-yards or more. Here is a breakdown of the top-25 in terms of longest play...

Jason Campbell .... 6

Dameyune Craig ... 5

Reggie Slack ........ 5

Ben Leard ........... 3

Stan White ......... 2

Daniel Cobb ......... 2

Jeff Klein ............ 1

Patrick Nix .......... 1

Brandon Cox's longest completion was 31st on the list.

War Eagle!

How many does Cox have?  The UGA fans know he completed at least one last year.  :thumbsup:

253401[/snapback]

Cox had 11 pass plays of 30-yards or more last season.

Let me see if I understand the post: If you take the longest plays and put them in descending order, Campbell has 6 of the top 25?

Further, Cox's longest pass was shorter than any of those 25 listed, right?

Let me see if I understand the post:   If you take the longest plays and put them in descending order, Campbell has 6 of the top 25?

Further, Cox's longest pass was shorter than any of those 25 listed, right?

253436[/snapback]

You are correct sir, on both counts. Here is the top-25 list:

Year Opponent Play

2004 La. Tech 87 Daniels TD pass - Campbell

1988 Kansas 85 Joseph TD pass from Slack

1989 Tennessee 83 Wright TD pass from Slack

1999 Georgia 78 R. Daniels from Leard

1989 Pacific 78 Wright TD pass from Slack

1991 Tennessee 78 Joe Frazier TD pass from White

1997 Virginia 77 Bailey TD pass from Dameyune Craig

1999 C. Florida 77 R. Daniels from Klein

1997 Georgia 76 Bailey TD pass from Dameyune Craig

2002 Syracuse 75 Marcel Willis pass from Cobb

1988 Tennessee 75 Wright TD pass from Slack

1989 Pacific 73 Wright TD pass from Slack

2001 LSU 72 Carter 72yd TD pass-Campbell

1997 Arkansas 70 Bailey TD pass from Dameyune Craig

1997 Tennessee 69 Poor pass from Dameyune Craig

2003 Ole Miss 68 Obomanu pass from Campbell

1994 E.Carolina 68 Sanders TD pass from Nix

2003 Vandy 67 McIntyre pass from Campbell

2004 Arkansas 67 Aromashudu TD pass from Campbell

1996 Ole Miss 67 Baker pass from Craig

2000 Wyoming 66 R. Daniels 66yd TD Pass-Leard

2002 Arkansas 65 Aromashodu TD pass from Cobb

1999 LSU 65 R. Daniels from Leard

1992 Ole Miss 65 Parker pass from White

2003 Alabama 64 Obomanu pass from Campbell

what's more impressive: dameyune setting up hicks poor to get his name in the books? or ronney daniels lugging jeff klein up the charts?

what's more impressive: dameyune setting up hicks poor to get his name in the books? or ronney daniels lugging jeff klein up the charts?

253478[/snapback]

Actually, Klein would be #1 on the list if not for a bogus holding call against UT in 1999. Daniels made a "Lynn Swann" grab and went 90-yards for a TD.

i miss the 1999 ronney daniels... i never expected it, and he never delivered it again.

i miss the 1999 ronney daniels... i never expected it, and he never delivered it again.

253481[/snapback]

yah, 2000 was a major drop off but he had a bad ankle most of the season and he saw a lot more double coverage.

then he went pro and didn't get drafted... too bad. i'll always remember him fondly. for some reason, i keep a lot of respect for the guys who poured out their hearts while we played bad ball. guys like gabe gross, who clearly was a baseball player and didn't have to take the beating he took in 98. was he good? not at all. do i think he represents auburn as much as any guy on the 04 team? yes i do.

so cheers to the grosses and the daniels, and two cheers to the whiteheads and whites and leards for going through the bad times and helping bring us back.

Don't know how many times I heard Campbell only threw the "short" ball yet he leads AU's list for longest plays.

Amazing :au::thumbsup:

I wonder how many of Campbell's were off of "hard counts" seems like I remember a couple. I love that Borges tries to do that every now and then. It's such a low-risk play call. If they jump, throw the deep ball, if they intercept, take the penalty. If they dont' jump, check off. Simple as that. I know that play picked us up some pretty good chunks of yardage in '04.

Don't know how many times I heard Campbell only threw the "short" ball yet he leads AU's list for longest plays. 

Amazing  :au:   :thumbsup:

253492[/snapback]

We still don't know until Stat sheds light on it. If JC threw a 5 yd slant then Ben took it 70 yds, it's not quite the same as hitting Ben while running a post.

Help Stat...yac.

253492[/snapback]

We still don't know until Stat sheds light on it. If JC threw a 5 yd slant then Ben took it 70 yds, it's not quite the same as hitting Ben while running a post.

Help Stat...yac.

253658[/snapback]

I certainly know. He led the list for longest plays. As simple as that. Dont spin it.

253492[/snapback]

Help Stat...yac.

253658[/snapback]

I certainly know. He led the list for longest plays. As simple as that. Dont spin it.

253680[/snapback]

No spin here. A WR catch and run for 30 yards is different than pass for 30 yards. Total yardage is the same, but they arrived at the total in two completely different ways. ;)

Well, I would also offer that there's a different reason: Al Borges' offensive game plan, whhch uses far more of the playing field than previous coordinators.

However, Stattiger, thanks for this.

253492[/snapback]

Help Stat...yac.

253658[/snapback]

253680[/snapback]

No spin here. A WR catch and run for 30 yards is different than pass for 30 yards. Total yardage is the same, but they arrived at the total in two completely different ways. ;)

253718[/snapback]

Agreed. I loved the way Campbell played his last year, but he never hit the long ball consistently. The receivers were always having to adjust. Had he led the receivers the majority of the time, his numbers would have been HUGE. Example, check out the pass to MIX on the media page. He was three steps behind the defender and had to slow down one step to get the ball. Then he got tackled. NOt that there are many QBs who do this consistently, but Campbell was not in that category.

Tis a beautiful thing to see a QB hit a receiver in full stride.

Archived