Auburn notebook August 10

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/huntsvill....xml&coll=1

Auburn notebook

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Huntsville Times

AU takes level attitude to scorching scrimmage

AUBURN - After Saturday's 80-play scrimmage in stifling heat and humidity, nobody seemed overly happy or overly unhappy.

Junior quarterback Brandon Cox shrugged off a spotty passing day that included two interceptions - one on a throw tipped by defensive end Quentin Groves and one that bounced off tight end Tommy Trott's hands.

"Coach Borges likes to come out and run the ball a lot in the first scrimmage," Cox said. "We definitely lined up and got after it. I think we wore down the defense at the end.

"The passes we did were third-down passes. I think, in our next scrimmage, when we are throwing the ball on first and second down, it won't be as bad."

Sophomore linebacker Merrill Johnson got his first live action in the middle after moving earlier in the week from outside linebacker.

"I think I had a fair practice," Johnson said. "I have to get better. "I have to prepare better than what I did.

"I have to come out and play confident, not play slow and think too much."

Johnson, who said he weighs "208 or 209" said playing in the middle took some adjustment.

"It's not really that much different, but you have to take on those linemen," Johnson said. "That's the hardest part."

Missing Cope: Starting center Joe Cope, who is nursing a mild knee sprain, dressed out but did not participate in Wednesday's scrimmage. Without him, projected starting right tackle Jonathan Palmer worked with the first team at center. Sophomore Antwoin Daniels and junior Leon Hart alternated at right tackle.

"Everything works from the center out," offensive line coach Hugh Nall said. "I heard a lot of things that weren't right as far as communication. If the communication is wrong, then the technique is wrong. It's a big business up front.

"You have to have a lot of reps to get it right."

Injury report: Sophomore safety Tristan Davis sat out Wednesday's contact because of mild headaches. Freshman defensive end Darrell Roseman has yet to practice full-speed because of shin splints.

"They're doing X-rays and scans of his leg," Tuberville said. "He's had shin splints for the last month. He's in so much pain he can't run."

Wide receiver Courtney Taylor left practice early Wednesday to meet with an academic adviser, Tuberville said.

Work to do on D: First-year defensive coordinator Will Muschamp said much remains to be done before the Sept. 2 opener against Washington State.

"We lined up offsides about four times, which is amazing to me," Muschamp said. "We just have a lot of things to correct. With that being said, we did some good things with turnovers and third-down stops.

"We didn't do any movement, any pressure. We rushed four guys all day."

Basic vanilla D on a hot hot day, Lot of mistakes. RBs look great. DBs look good.

Archived