Learning on the fly

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birmingha....xml&coll=2

Learning on the fly

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

CHARLES GOLDBERG

News staff writer

AUBURN - Safety Eric Brock has been in overdrive this fall, which is pretty much the mandatory state of survival for all of Auburn's defensive backs learning on the fly this fall.

A misstep here or a slip there, and they might get beat. Worse, they might just get run over by Will Muschamp, their new energetic coach who has sold his players on the need to be aggressive.

"I think his little boost of energy on the sideline is a big help for the guys out there playing," Brock said.

"When you look over to the sidelines and you see your coach into the game and excited about football, it kind of gives you goose bumps and makes you want to play hard."

Brock and his defensive back buddies finished off two-a-days Monday, having escaped too much praise or criticism, and will now go behind closed doors for the rest of fall camp to prepare for the Sept. 2 opener against Washington State.

What they'll do next is set the playing rotation - and get another crash course in defensive back play.

That's been a requirement since Muschamp arrived before spring practice.

"We've come along very well since the first day, especially with our communication," Brock said.

There's been some tough lessons. All-SEC safety and defensive quarterback Will Herring was moved from safety to linebacker in the spring, opening a hole in the back end for Brock. Or is it Aairon Savage? Muschamp has been reluctant to say which player will take over Herring's free safety position. The other will play strong safety.

Right now, they've simply been designated as "right" and "left" safety.

Brock says that's the easy part.

"I know it was kind of mind-boggling at the beginning when he came in and changed some of the roles and some of the defensive schemes, but once you understand his philosophy, you can pick it up pretty quickly," Brock said.

The quicker the better, especially without Herring, and especially for a veteran such as David Irons, an All-SEC preseason selection who is ready to take on more responsibility.

"I really don't want them to help me as much as they did last year. I want to get it on my own," Irons aid. "That's why I'm not asking anybody. I'm quiet out there ... thinking. Last year, I was asking Will for help and he always helped me with the signals and stuff. This year, I'm trying to learn on my own and get the signals down, and plays down, so I'll be in the game and know for myself and not ask my secondary for help."

But even Irons can look over his shoulder, especially while standing on the sidelines nursing a sore hamstring.

"I hope I don't lose my spot. I've got to get back out here soon," Irons said.

Irons figures to be ready in plenty of time. Jonathan Wilhite will be running beside him as the other starter at cornerback. Others in the secondary mix are Tristan Davis and Lorenzo Ferguson at safety; and Zach Gilbert, Pat Lee and Jarroud Powers at cornerback. Zac Etheridge is playing both positions.

"Everybody is starting to understand their role and what Coach expects from them," Brock said.

Archived