Best Backfield in the SEC

DCWarEagle

Here's an amusing exchange from the ESPN chat with Ivan Maisal:

Mark, Tuscaloosa: Does alabama have the best backfield in the SEC?

Ivan Maisel: (11:58 AM ET ) Alabama doesn't have the best backfield in the state. John Parker Wilson may become a winner, but Brandon Cox has already proven he's a winner. If you're just looking at running backs, Alabama can make a case with those fullbacks. But backfield as a whole? Nope

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=12654

"rollin' FIVE deep"...and STILL not enough to be the BEST "backfield" in the STATE ! ! !

I'd give us the nod in the SEC with Cox coming back with a season under his belt. I'd have to go with LSU a close second. QB is experienced and talented and the back I thought would have put them over the top last year, Alley Broussard, returns. Doesn't a former starting fullback return for the cajuns too? Peters or something like that?

He clearly said that runningbacks wed have an argument.

And i think its a totally fair assesment to say that Brandon Cox is a proven player at the QB position and JPW has yet to prove on the field what he can do.

Doesnt make me mad at all. I cant stand it when people rate guys all world based solely on potential and put them ahead of proven winners.

JPW can win all practice awards all day long...but until he does it on the field, he surely doesnt deserve more accolades than Cox.

Ivan Maisel: (11:58 AM ET ) Alabama doesn't have the best backfield in the state. John Parker Wilson may become a winner, but Brandon Cox has already proven he's a winner. If you're just looking at running backs, Alabama can make a case with those fullbacks. But backfield as a whole? Nope

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=12654

Not to be picky BG, but Maisel said that the fullbacks make the case, not the 5 stud RBs...

Good point. We will not run a lot of fullback formations this season...much like '04.

If you're just looking at running backs, Alabama can make a case with those fullbacks. But backfield as a whole? Nope

He's including FBs in the running backs discussion...then saying that Cox is the difference between the two. I dont see how you could read that any other way.

Viva la Difference ! ! !

If you're just looking at running backs, Alabama can make a case with those fullbacks. But backfield as a whole? Nope

He's including FBs in the running backs discussion...then saying that Cox is the difference between the two. I dont see how you could read that any other way.

Given the sentence structure, I don't see how you could see it the way you do. He clearly states that the case is made "with those fullbacks." Not "the running backs and fullbacks make the case" or "the running backs are as good, not to mention the fullbacks", etc. Come on BG, you don't have to be a UAT grad to figure that one out. :poke:

If you have been watching the "'06 Preview" series on Fox Sports Channel and CSS that previews each team in the SEC, then you heard a quote last night that confirms what many people have claimed on this board.

The quote: "Auburn is Alabama."

He explained that what he meant was that the roles of the two programs are completely reversed from 20 years ago. And that is so true. Bear Bryant did not walk around looking over his shoulder at Auburn. Tommy Tuberville does not look over his shoulder at Mike Shula. Hilarious to even think about Mike Shula or Alabama in those terms, except maybe in their own minds.

It is so true.

HHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Sorry. Had to get that one out.

Last time I checked, Bama finished in the top 10 last year. So anyone who cares to suggest that AU is just light years ahead of bama in terms of overall program strength or quality needs to get their head checked.

HHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Last time I checked, Bama finished in the top 10 last year. So anyone who cares to suggest that AU is just light years ahead of bama in terms of overall program strength or quality needs to get their head checked.

"overall program strength" UA is ahead "all-time".........but in the last 5 or so years AU is a MUCH more threatening program! And I would even go as far as saying as AU is "light years" ahead of UA right now!

"overall program strength" UA is ahead.........but in the last 5 or so years AU is a MUCH more threatening program!

geauxscott, you have to realize that bama can't fathom that the rest of the country sees things realisticly. The tuscalooser mindset is a whole different breed of animal. As you can see, they get their jollies by referring to little smigens like 'we finished 8th last year" while ignoring the fact that they got their butts kicked for the 4th time in a row by their hated rival.

Keep beating that "top ten" drum on the corner as long as you can. Maybe a few kindly folks will drop nickels into your hat. Last season's "top ten" ranking was a complete sham. You know it. I know it. Everyone knows it.

"overall program strength" UA is ahead "all-time".........but in the last 5 or so years AU is a MUCH more threatening program! And I would even go as far as saying as AU is "light years" ahead of UA right now!

I agree scott....

I will also agree that probation took quite the hit, but to say that Bama's ten win season was dominate is quite a false one. Yes, alot of respect to the "ten win season," to be had...but the ball bounced alot in bama's favor. Too many close games against too many weak opponents. You lost to the only 2 teams in the west that were strong, including a "21 points in ten minute" performance against your rival.

Your ten win Bama team finished behind LSU and Auburn in your own conference.

BG.... please. I'm not trying to take away anything from that season. But dont hold your head high and mighty above a program that has been in the national spotlight longer that Bama has the past couple of years. A program that has had to EARN it's respect. A program that has proved it to bama for 4 straight years.

Say what you like, but I will say for a fact having lived in this state for over 30 years, that things ain't what they used to be. I noticed just this past weekend how many people have Auburn stuff on their cars...Auburn tags....Fear the Thumb stickers....Honk if You Sacked Brody....in BIRMINGHAM. I did a comparison driving around town and I counted the AU stuff while my passenger counted UA stuff. Not even close.

That is pretty bad when the Bama Good Old Boy capital city has more visible Auburn fans than Bama fans. I'm not saying you have to like Auburn. Just that Auburn is Mike Shula's Daddy.

bammers ar so desperate to have anything to claim,

we were on cbs more than :au: last year

our qb has had stellar practices

we finished 10th

:ut: is really our biggest rival

You've heard of the nip well how about the gap? It gets closer every year

In 10 years Auburn will lead the series.

meanwhile Air Hawaii is heading your way

Aloha

1) Bama won 10 last year.

2) Like CGS said, 'the most important game/season is the next one.'

Lets play 'What if' for just a second.

What if:

1) Bama had lost the three last second/late in game fg games? :om: (3-8), :ut: (5-6), and Texas Tech 9(-3 #20). Two were against teams with losing records. One was against a team that barely finished in the Top 20.

2) Bama did whip a first year coach @ :uf: A team that also lost to :sc: and almost lost to :vandy: .

There is no question Bama won. The question is the razor thin edge in which they won. Not many teams ever have 7 seniors on D at one time. Even fewer will be able to recover from losing 7 seniors and not noticeably fall off.

Just for the record, Vaughn's one really bad game may be an aberation too. Lets play 'What if' for just a second with :au: What if one of 5 fg goes through for Vaughn, or Skyler Green doesnt return a kick for a TD? :au: wins and goes 10-2 and to the SECCG to play a team it just beat in :uga: Possibly to win the SEC for a second year in a row, after replacing $85M loss in the backfield.

What ifs are fun. We didnt, Bama did. But it does show you just how close games can go. Our three losses were against teams in the Top 25. I would also argue that if Bama had lost to Ole Miss, the season would have quickly gone south with Tennessee coming in the next game.

Archived