Biggest fear come Saturday

jwise0022

Overconfident? Too small on defense? Injuries? Missing linebackers?

Not me. I think our defense will be spectactular, maybe the best in the SEC. My fear is that our two new offensive tackles aren't ready. Don't get me wrong, I think we will win big, but thinking back to the pressure Cox faced in last years opener, I really am afraid he won't have time to deliver the ball downfield. I look for many 2 tight end sets or two running backs with a lot more than expected of Carl Stewart. I think the coaches want to ensure the running game gets going this year and we develop the passing game, much like in 2004. I only hope the results are similar.

My biggest fear is that I'll still be sober when it's over. That's likely since I have to leave at 2 A. M. Sunday to take my wife to the airport. Geez, married guys just don't get the breaks! *grin*

My biggest fear is rain. I have 65 WSU fans tailgating with my group, we will be about 85 strong in total. I'm smoking 40 lbs of ribs and boiling 20 lbs of shrimp (in a country boil).

Wow!

I am afraid that our new Safeties will get exposed by a veteran QB and WRs. It could be bad. I think/hope/rationalize that CAB will keep the ball on the ground in an effort to keep the Wazzu O off the field. CTT said we will be far more physical this year. That tends to lead me into thinking that we will run the ball more than ever.

I would not be surprised at all to be behind at halftime, and pull it out mid fourth quarter when our better depth will wear them out.

I agree with DKW regarding the Safeties... That is what scares me most. We should be OK but this passing offense might exploit them and force them to make really sudden decisions. i.e. crossing in front of the safety etc...

Other than that I think we'll be fine, except for maybe our tackles and depth at O-line...an injury to a tackle would be devistating

WDE

Cox going down to injury!

with injury (correction)

I dont think losing Cox would kill the season. W/O Cox we could still win an SEC Title. We have the horses to win it now. BUT w/ Cox we could win an MNC. He is the best we have, but Field could hand off to the rbs and throw just enough to make the WRs keep the line open.

yep. season ending injuries to cox, either irons, or taylor would really put a damper on the season.

oversleeping saturday would be a big fear as well.

"My fear is that our two new offensive tackles aren't ready."

Nope. We already have three all-SEC picks (Grubbs, Duck, Cope) on the O-line; my prediction is that, by season's end, J Palmer will be the fourth. (I'm not forgetting King Dunlap; I think he's going to play well, too. I just think JP, finally getting his chance, is going to explode on to the scene. The way he stepped in (and up) vs. UGA last year in a critical situation (and not even at his natural position) really said a lot about him, IMHO.) Bear in mind that we've got a 5-star recruit (Leon Hart) who, in three years, hasn't been able to crack the starting line-up; I think that says a lot about the abilit of the guys in front of him.

Now, if you want to talk about depth on the O-line, well, I can't; that makes me nervous . . .

"I am afraid that our new Safeties will get exposed by a veteran QB and WRs. It could be bad."

Agreed. The guys that aren't inexperienced have been largely ineffective; I thought strong safety was the weakest position on the team last year - and, boy, did they get exposed in the Cap One . . . . Hopefully, the renewed emphasis on playing physical made an impression . . . As far as pass coverage, given the players' inexperience, combined with a new system (not to mention the opponent's experienced QB and future NFL wideout), Wazoo will have opportunities to make plays down the field . . .

"I think/hope/rationalize that CAB will keep the ball on the ground in an effort to keep the Wazzu O off the field. CTT said we will be far more physical this year. That tends to lead me into thinking that we will run the ball more than ever."

I don't know about running the ball "more than ever," but I agree that CTT is going to emphasize (more than ever) being physical ("from beginning to end") and establishing KI and the O-line right away. If that happens, then Wazoo will be at the mercy of Cox / CAB . . .

Safeties, Tackles and rain...oh my!

I too am worried about such a young group back there against an experiences passing team. I know there is much speed and that can correct some mistakes, but not all of them.

As for the Tackles, I am worried about how King will react in his first start under the bright lights of ESPN.

I am also worried that the cheerleaders will attempt to make the fans practice chanting "Touchdown Auburn".

I also worry about the guy who normally sits 3 rows in front of us. When he doesn't show up, bad things happen...

this is the reality thread for sure. Washington State will bring a team ready to play.

Lets' don't make the same mistake last year (Ga Tech). Think the Cougars have been studying that game.

yeah. I believe :au: has learned from the past, the biggest fear will be Auburn keeps them in the game

with turnovers, 3 and out, or silly penalties (new rules can be a problem).

All eyes will be on Muschamps defense.

I really get nervous before a season opener............I guess I have that right? I just hope that becoming over confident, and our past track record for being ranked high and having a let down does not sneak up and :poke: us in the rear end.

I know I know I know............We have learned from our mistakes but if you touch a burning stove more than once you tend to never forget how bad it hurts!

Oh yeah, I also fear that UAT will beat the hoola skirts and we will have to endure 7 days of gloating before their next fragile opponent. :puke:

Archived