Anyone hear the Opening Drive on WJOX this AM?

MDM4AU

I caught a little of the WJOX morning show today around 6:45 on my way in to work. Al DelGreco referred to an email from a Bammer that, from what I gathered, wasn't very flattering. I didn't hear anything else about it. And to their credit, some Bama fans called in and slammed the author of the email.

Did anyone hear this? What did the email say?

I didn't hear it.

But I will say this, as childish as it is for AU fans to celebrate Bryant's death, it is equally as stupid for our fans to poke fun at Fyffe. Both of these men were good people and have gone on to leave this world. There's no reason to parade their deaths, no matter how much you hate their respective schools.

Fyffe was awesome. Ive never met a Bama fan who didnt respect him big time.

Me too. As much as I don't care for his school, you gotta admit that the man had some great calls...

I feel the same way about Eli. To me he is Alabama football. I have a hard time following his call sometimes but that is just cause I don't listen to him all the time. Maybe it is more about a familiar voice more than anything else.

I feel the same way about Eli. To me he is Alabama football. I have a hard time following his call sometimes but that is just cause I don't listen to him all the time. Maybe it is more about a familiar voice more than anything else.

See, I disagree. A lot of Tide fans love the guys call... but to me, he's prolly one of the worst I've ever heard.

My key complaint w/ him is that he makes a 3 yard gain seem like a game winning TD. Stabler does a great job on color... but I've never been to high on Gold.

JMHO

saniflush.. have you started tailgating already? ELI.. good ..yikes!.

I am with WC on Eli. You cannot follow what is going on. I do not think he is a very good play by play and never has been. Snake onthe other hand is a very good color guy. He is for his team but gives good accurate information and insight no matter which team makes a play.

The main problem with Eli has always been the thirty minute opening of the game to describe each team's uniforms down the the jock strap. He also sounds like he has a mouth full of chicken about half of the time. I'll stop there before getting banished to the woodshed.

The main problem with Eli has always been the thirty minute opening of the game to describe each team's uniforms down the the jock strap. He also sounds like he has a mouth full of chicken about half of the time. I'll stop there before getting banished to the woodshed.

Right on.

I believe he does this to make up for his lack of football knowledge.

The only problem I have with eli, other than his association with west vance, is that he is terrible at offering up down and distance. He and kenny will go off telling a "related" story and you have no idea as to what is taking place on the field.

Boys, the honesty here is refreshing...now let's hunker down and talk about the GREAT Larry M for a while. What down...what distance??? B)

:au::homer:

Boys, the honesty here is refreshing...now let's hunker down and talk about the GREAT Larry M for a while. What down...what distance??? B)

:au::homer:

Munson is one of the greatest ever.

The "hob nail boot" call at UT in '01 was classic.

Larry M is a God and I will openly admit that. UGA football will never be the same when he steps down!

I can't wait for him to retire

You're kidding, right?

crack-pipe.jpg

MY Eli peeve moments are the down and distance calls.

Eli: "2nd and six at the bama 40, Darby off right tackle, churning, powering, lunging for ward for four yards. Bama sets up shop at the 43, 3rd and 5."

I swear he does this. I love to playcall the O when I listen. I just gives me somethng to keep me in the game. But when I listen to Eli I stay just confused to the point of frustration.

In the example. I should be planning on 3rd and 2 on the 44 according to the call. But I then find out that ball is really 3-5 on the 41 OR 3rd and 3 on the 43. Which it really is I dont know unitl I hear Snake predict his call. There is a world of difference in a 3rd and 2 and 3rd and 5.

Larry M is a God and I will openly admit that. UGA football will never be the same when he steps down!

You're kidding, right?

crack-pipe.jpg

No. He is passed his prime. He calls games terribly. He doesn't know who is who and just rambles a lot of the time.

It's annoying.

Just retire already, Larry.

I'm with SouthLink on this one. He's another one of those guys that gives you some classic quotes every now and then (see "Sugar" and "Hobnailed Boot"), but his actual playcalling is not good. Not to mention the "we" and "us" which is annoying as hell.

You're kidding, right?

crack-pipe.jpg

No. He is passed his prime. He calls games terribly. He doesn't know who is who and just rambles a lot of the time.

It's annoying.

Just retire already, Larry.

I agree, it's more out of respect than anything, after 10 minutes of his "we, and us" I'm done.

I think Eli is a very talented announcer of many things, but football on the radio is not one of those things. It's almost as if he is announcing for TV. He doesn't give you the info that you need to visualize what's going on, just comments on the things he sees.

For instance, I was driving home from a local event when UAT was playing Hawaii a couple of years ago. In that 15-25 minute ride home I never once heard the score or even had an inkling of who was winning the game.

Late in on this but here is my take

Talking bad about the dead is not in good taste be it Jim Fyffe or Tha Baar. Bryant was no friend of Auburn but he was part of its history and I hated him but did respect his accomplishments.

May the dead rest in peace.

As for Larry Munson I really like him as he is almost comical in the way you would think some directional school was kicking UGA's butts by listening to him. Then you would hear Musnon say the score and UGA was up by two touchdowns in the first quarter.

ELI Gold needs to stick to Neckcar or go cover Syracuse.

Stabler is colorful especially when he has his best friend Jack in his hip pocket.

Maybe Bama could get Namith to cover the female sideline reporters?? I might even watch some of their games then.

Archived