Aunews.net videos are being removed

AuEngineer

The Auburn copyright enforcement company, Collegiate Images, has contacted the owners of aunews.net and informed them that the immediate removal of all content (specifically videos) must happen immediately.

Since the site is apparently causing the university to lose traffic to its own money generating content and not making money for the university or its trademarks, the site is in violation.

Also mentioned was the fact that targeting sites such as aunews.net is much more important than attacking sites such as youtube.com or putfile.com.

Thanks for all the support and the long run.

Special thanks to David at AuNation.net for all of his support.

The Auburn copyright enforcement company, Collegiate Images, has contacted the owners of aunews.net and informed them that the immediate removal of all content (specifically videos) must happen immediately.

Since the site is apparently causing the university to lose traffic to its own money generating content and not making money for the university or its trademarks, the site is in violation.

Also mentioned was the fact that targeting sites such as aunews.net is much more important than attacking sites such as youtube.com or putfile.com.

Thanks for all the support and the long run.

Special thanks to David at AuNation.net for all of his support.

Boy, I am telling you that it is starting to get very hard to support anything the university adminstration does at AU. They just keep finding ways to screw fans and supporters just so they can make a buck. :angry:

Man, I am sorry.

I had no idea they would do that. I have hosted those videos for years now. I am glad we just cut them off a few weeks ago.

Man, I am sorry.

I had no idea they would do that. I have hosted those videos for years now. I am glad we just cut them off a few weeks ago.

no problem, it would be different if any of us guys were actually making money off these sites. We're providing content that nobody else offers and we're paying for it out of our own pockets.

Man, I am sorry.

no problem, it would be different if any of us guys were actually making money off these sites. We're providing content that nobody else offers and we're paying for it out of our own pockets.

I know, it was why I keep referring to this site as AUNation. Collegiate Licensing has me on speed dial for the old War Eagle Nation name we used to use. You and I were thinking we were being good ole AU guys in providing a servioce to the AU Family too. If they knew how much cash I have lost on the hosting...

Anyway, I am on aim as dward2002@charter.net and on msn as davidkward86 if you want to chat.

Dang this sucks.... All that hard work...I just hope people enjoyed it while it lasted. Why, after so many years, did they get their panties in a wad now? Somebody tip them off or they just wanted to exercise their power???

Dang this sucks.... All that hard work...I just hope people enjoyed it while it lasted. Why, after so many years, did they get their panties in a wad now? Somebody tip them off or they just wanted to exercise their power???

Apparently they just love to alienate the same people that pad their budget every Saturday during the falls.

Apparently they just love to alienate the same people that pad their budget every Saturday during the falls.

here here!

here here!

It reminds me of the Daniel Moore thing with Bama.

to kind of expand on this, at the student section entrances if you tried to bring a digital camera into the game with a video record function on it, they made you either get out of line and take your camera home or check it into some kind of place in the stadium and get it afterwords.. no cameras in the games now?? what is this world coming to?

Is this a function of the television provider trying to put their foot down?

I better change my sig picture before I am served papers.

I think it was brought on by the Under Armour Commercial. I posted it on Sunday and I already had several thousand hits on just that video. I had already received about 15k users and .5 million hits in the first 5 days of september. With that kind of traffic, it was only a matter of time before AU caught wind and got upset.

Well it's all getting so commercial and oriented to the Almighty Dollar that it's taking some of the Rah Rah out to me.

The only way to get our school back to the people is to boycott all of the pay sites. Remember that old song, "Got along without you before I met you, gonna get along without you now."

The Auburn Family is now required to buy meal tickets before they can have a family dinner together. If you don't pay, then obviously you weren't hungry, huh?

I think it was brought on by the Under Armour Commercial. I posted it on Sunday and I already had several thousand hits on just that video. I had already received about 15k users and .5 million hits in the first 5 days of september. With that kind of traffic, it was only a matter of time before AU caught wind and got upset.

You would think they would LIKE people going out of their way to watch their commercials.....

I wonder if it has to do with the television companies as much as the university - you know that whole paragraph they read saying "no part of this program may be re-broadcast" yada yada yada.....

Does the university have any "sancitioned" sites that show these types of videos - if so I have never heard of them. How could we be taking away $$$ if it's a service they don't provide?

I wonder if petitioning the university would have any impact? I doubt it, but who knows?

I wonder if it has to do with the television companies as much as the university - you know that whole paragraph they read saying "no part of this program may be re-broadcast" yada yada yada.....

This was on another board concerning the copyright question. Don't know if it is right but it sounds good.

The public has rights to copyrighted materials. That is why, for example, I can fark with wild abandon. It is protected speech.

Video compilations fall under the same protected speech, as do most of the conversations on this board.

If you've ever listened to the pregame "disclaimer" it states that any accounts, descriptions, etc of the game are expressly prohibited. That is not what the law says, but the networks throw that legalese up there to scare people. If it was true, CBS/ESPN/etc would be in here in a heart-beat and could shut scout.com down. We talk about the game we saw on TV, the quality of the announcers, etc... According to their "legal disclaimer", that is in violation of the terms of use, except that they have no legal ground to stand upon.

Copyright is long overdue for an overhaul. It used to be 15 years of protection. Now it is 100s of years thanks to the Mouse.

Well, one thing is for sure. I'm going to keep preparing the video clips just like I always have, and if anybody wants them, they can download them directly from me, or I can put them on a disc and drop it in the mail....

why are they going after a site "promoting" their university, but not going after something like youtube. They are basically the same thing. Neither one is making any money on it. Ask David what it cost him before he took the page down. BTW, david, how many hits did the media page generate in a given week/ month/ year??? I'm curious....

Well, one thing is for sure. I'm going to keep preparing the video clips just like I always have, and if anybody wants them, they can download them directly from me, or I can put them on a disc and drop it in the mail....

why are they going after a site "promoting" their university, but not going after something like youtube. They are basically the same thing. Neither one is making any money on it. Ask David what it cost him before he took the page down. BTW, david, how many hits did the media page generate in a given week/ month/ year??? I'm curious....

Sadly pcola, in the numerous server swaps, that hard data is gone... I can speculate as to the bandwidth and hits, but it would be pointless.

Suffice to say it was a painful resource hog....

Cost wise it generated about $160-200 per month.

One week in Oct 2004 it was $450 for one week, that 4 T-1 lines worth of traffic.

It's ridiculous. They don't get that the fans were providing Auburn with free viral marketing. Those videos get passed all over the internet, even to non-Auburn message boards. The same message boards that recruits happen to visit. You can't pay for that type of exposure.

Frickin' idiots.

I wonder if it is even possible to try and educate the powers that be at the university?? How can someone claiming to be educated be so stupid?

I wonder if it is even possible to try and educate the powers that be at the university?? How can someone claiming to be educated be so stupid?

Bro, it aint about smarts, it is about money...

Archived