New pro league eyeing Birmingham

Tiger in Spain

New pro league seeks Legion Field deal

Within the next three months, the All American Football League hopes to finalize a stadium-usage agreement for a franchise at Legion Field.

"I think some time soon we will have completed a document with them that would give us an opportunity to start speaking with investors in Birmingham," Doug Dickey, a founding member of the AAFL and former college coach, said Thursday. "Birmingham is one of those sites we've projected as a place we believe we need to be at."

The city's basic stadium rental is $5,000 per game or 10 percent of the attendance gate, whichever is greater, said Melvin Miller, director of Birmingham Park and Recreation.

"We need to see what they're talking about," Miller said. "We have always been flexible. I haven't heard anything lately. That's great news they're that interested."

The new league, which begins in April 2007, requires players to have graduated from college and will be built around college fan bases. A Birmingham team would likely be filled with many Alabama, Auburn and UAB players who did not make the NFL.

The AAFL will start stocking players after the NFL Draft in April. Players, who will be employed by the league, will earn about $100,000.

Franchises will be sold for between $2-3 million. The AAFL is seeking local ownership for each team, with fans and alumni able to purchase ownership shares.

The AAFL would be just the latest outdoor professional football league to make a stop in Birmingham. Past leagues were the World Football League, World League of American Football, United States Football League, North American Football League, Canadian Football League and XFL.

Link

Birmingham Vulcans/Americans. . . Failed

Birmingham Stallions. . . Failed

Birmingham Fire. . . Failed

Birmingham Barracudas. . . Failed

Birmingham Bolts. . . Failed

Anyone notice a pattern? Not one of these teams lasted more than 2 years, why on earth would anyone think it would be different now?

Meh. I'm against it.

Not b/c of any reason other than it would take away money from Bama. Instead of buying a Tide hat, someone would shell out the dough for a Vulcans (or whatever they'd call it) item. It'd do the same damage to AU as well.

Meh. I'm against it.

Not b/c of any reason other than it would take away money from Bama. Instead of buying a Tide hat, someone would shell out the dough for a Vulcans (or whatever they'd call it) item. It'd do the same damage to AU as well.

No way. AU fans have enough disposable income to buy an AU hat and tickets to a pro game. It will fail for other reasons -- who wants to watch Pro football in the spring? I just don't think enough sustainable interest is there.

Meh. I'm against it.

No way. AU fans have enough disposable income to buy an AU hat and tickets to a pro game. It will fail for other reasons -- who wants to watch Pro football in the spring? I just don't think enough sustainable interest is there.

Just AU fans, huh? I'll have you know that :ua: is in the Top 10 in the nation in selling school merchandise. I believe :uga: was the only team that outsold us in the SEC. So, take that! ;)

UNC led the nation, duh.

Birmingham Vulcans/Americans. . . Failed

Birmingham Stallions. . . Failed

Birmingham Fire. . . Failed

Birmingham Barracudas. . . Failed

Birmingham Bolts. . . Failed

Anyone notice a pattern? Not one of these teams lasted more than 2 years, why on earth would anyone think it would be different now?

My recollection for the WFL and USFL was that the B'ham teams did far better than most in the league, but the leagues failed.

Meh. I'm against it.

LH,

uh, no offense, but I don't have enough disposable income. I hope that doesn't disqualify me as an AU fan. I promise that I spend as much as I can. Those pesky medications and daughters tuition!

B)

just having some fun with you!

But if any want to contribute to the "get Scottie4AU enough money to buy a Birmingham (fill in the blank) hat, let me know. I think it would be tax deductable.

Meh. I'm against it.

Just AU fans, huh? I'll have you know that :ua: is in the Top 10 in the nation in selling school merchandise. I believe :uga: was the only team that outsold us in the SEC. So, take that! ;)

UNC led the nation, duh.

That's becasue Auburn doesn't "sell out" and sell liscensed items for the THUG crowd.

Archived