Newberg on the BCS

DKW 86

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=6&p=2&c=567361

At this point in the year who do you feel will be in the National Championship game? Why?

Chad (Urbana, Ohio)

This has been the hardest off-season I can remember in trying to determine who will play for college football’s National Championship. I really believe that there are as many as 15 teams or so that could play there way up in the polls and into the title picture. I don’t think there is one dominant team and it wouldn’t surprise me to see everyone with at least one loss. With that being said it could come down to schedule and who you face and when you lose.

First, I think Southern Cal has the easiest road to the title game. They are so talented despite losing all that offensive production. Their defense is vastly better than a year ago and the talented John David Booty finally gets his shot as the full time starter at quarterback. Wide receivers Dwayne Jarrett and Steve Smith are a great wide receiver duo and Fred Davis is poised to have a breakout season. The key to the Trojan success will be depend on three things – John David Booty, their ability to run the football and most importantly, who will step up offensively when the Trojans need that big play in the fourth quarter. Also, the Trojans have the best defense in a league that doesn’t play much defense. USC’s key games with Cal, Oregon, Notre Dame and UCLA are their final four to end the season.

Who will play USC for the national championship? It’s hard to say but right now I like three teams – Ohio State, West Virginia and Auburn (or LSU) . Perhaps one of these teams can run the table. Of this group it is quite obvious that West Virginia has the easiest road and they will have to beat Louisville on the road to keep their national title dreams alive. But they will also need help from the teams ranked ahead of them in addition to beating the Cardinals. The top ranked Buckeyes have to make it through the Big 10, most notably at Iowa and Michigan to finish off the season. That win over the weekend in Austin was impressive, especially from their defensive unit. Auburn has to go through the SEC but they get LSU, Florida and Georgia at home and arch-rival Alabama on the road. Of course if they do win the West they will likely play the Vols, Gators or Dawgs in Atlanta. That’s a tough road for Auburn.

So based on what lies ahead for each of these teams I like USC and Ohio State to play in the title game. Of course USC won’t likely get there if Auburn (or LSU)and Ohio State run the table. Anything is possible and anything goes with this football season. /quote]

Archived