2006 Tiger Bowl

DKW 86

BTW, Kim is working on a "Tiger Bowl" logo just for us.

2006 Tiger Bowl

#6 LSU @ #3 Auburn

9-16-06 2:30PM CDT

Lets take a look at the first ever Tiger Bowl. Without boring you with the repetitive info on the game you get elsewhere, I will give a general over view of trends, tendencies, and probable outcomes for this game.

This is not your regular college football game. This is not even your regular smash-mouth SEC Conference game. The 2006 Tiger Bowl is about as an important game as you can have at this point in the season.

Even though we are only three games into the season, the SEC West Title will be for all intents, will be settled at Auburn's Jordan-Hare Stadium. The game this Saturday will name the SEC West representative to the SEC Championship Game, just as it has five of the last six years.

The BCS Championship Game is still a possibility for the winner of this game too. Much is riding on the outcome of what has become THE game in the SEC West.

History

The home team has won the last 6 Tiger Bowls. The last two games have been decided on the toe of Auburn's PK John Vaughn. The 2004 game was won by Auburn on a re-kick of a pat after Auburn scored to tie the game at 9-9 with under two minutes to go.

The 2005 game was won by LSU in Over-Time 20-17. We got to overtime because Vaughn went 1-4 kicking fgs in regulation. His miss in OT gave LSU the win. It also gave Vaughn a year of grief. The grief came from everyone but his teammates and fans. They may have had misgivings but they never called for his head. Auburn especially forgave him after he kicked the game winner over Georgia with less than 10 seconds to spare.

On Offense

The Offenses for both teams are very effective. LSU averages 45 ppg with a mixed attack. Auburn averages 37 ppg and can swap methods of attack to take what ever you give them. Line up to stop the run, AU can pass. Allow them to run and they will run all over you.

On Defense

These are two are very much alike. As a matter of fact, LSU's Defensive Coordinator for 2004 is now the Auburn DC. These Defensives are exceedingly fast. They are also very aggressive. They push the envelop at every opportunity. They attack and they stop the run well. These two sets of Tigers are aggressive and a looking for turnovers. They are almost mirror images of themselves.

Coaching

The LSU Tigers enter under the second year coaching of Les Miles. They keep the same OC that they have had since 2000. Bo Pelini is the DC for LSU and he has an impressive resume from his time at Oklahoma.

For the Auburn Tigers, they have third year OC Al Borges. At DC they have a brand new DC in Will Muschamp, a recent departee from LSU as he went to coach in the NFL and returned to the college game.

The best thing you can say for the uninformed is that all four of these Coordinators would make the Top Ten list at their positions. They are all among the hottest coaches in their fields. Don't be surprised if all this talented group ends up being head coaches in the near future. It is safe to say that almost any of them could easily being HCs within the SEC in the near future. Yes, they are all THAT good.

Trends

There are several trends to note in prediction of this game. Lately the home team wins in this series. The last two years the AU D has held the LSU O to only 9 & 10 points in regulation. The rest of their points came in OT and from special teams. In 2005, LSU's Skyler Green returned a punt to for a TD. I am happy to report that Mr.Green is now playing on Sundays.

For the AU O, they have managed to put 10 and 17 points the last two years. Keny Irons even ran for 218 yards last year against that vaunted LSU D. As was stated earlier, Auburn's Vaughn missed 3 fgs in regulation. All from distances that he far out kicking this year. I wont play what if, but AU did find ways to get into scoring position last year and that was with a completely new backfield from the year before. AU replaced $89M worth of backfield and still lead the SEC in scoring.

For LSU, what cannot be said for Les Miles and steering this LSU team thru all the aftermath of Katrina? He deserves kudos for navigating a path many would never want to face, and doubtless that few staffs would have done as well as the LSU staff from last year.

This game has a difference of only 4 points in the last two years. Plan on staying for the whole game come Saturday.

Prediction

I fully expect another game decided by three points or less either way. Due to homefeild alone I will give the nod to Auburn. I expect for LSU to come out first and lead for a while.

Auburn will have to have time to adjust and calm down our relatively un-experienced LBs and WRs. So I see very much a replay of the 2004 game and the 2005 game. Kicking will play a huge part in it all. I also expect that the improvement in the AU kicking game to show up on the scoreboard of this game. Vaughn and AU know that even with a new backfield they had LSU on the ropes in Baton Rouge even though Auburn was breaking in a new qb on his first road trip. Just one fg thru the uprights and Vaughn is in AU history books. One tackle on Green on that punt return for TD and AU is back in Atlanta for the second straight time.

AU 13

LSU 10

Vaughn was 1/5 in regulation, 1/6 overall.

Does anyone remember Bowe dropping a TD pass. Those FGs would not have even mattered.

Anyone ever hear that IF a frog had wings............

Does anyone remember Bowe dropping a TD pass. Those FGs would not have even mattered.

Yes, you've whined that same refrain for nearly a year now. It has the same whining consistency as "10 games, #8 ranking"

Yes, you've whined that same refrain for nearly a year now. It has the same whining consistency as "10 games, #8 ranking"

I am not the one whining about all the FGs missed. Get over it!!

I have to defend LSUSCOTT for 2 reasons....1)he's an LSU fan 2) his name is Scott.... :lol:

But I would have to agree that the reason us LSU fans bring up dropped passes is because ALL we hear is how AU 'WOULD HAVE' won if Vaughn makes 1 of those kicks....... so we back it up with a big 'IF' too....

Bottom line is both parties need to stop worrying and talking about LAST year and look forward to THIS year (which is 2 days away by the way).......Lets all just agree that BOTH teams left opportunities on the field and if BOTH teams had taken advantage who knows what the outcome would have been.

The game is 2 days away....lets get excited and look forward to it instead of arguing about LAST year!!!!!

I have to defend LSUSCOTT for 2 reasons....1)he's an LSU fan 2) his name is Scott.... :lol:

But I would have to agree that the reason us LSU fans bring up dropped passes is because ALL we hear is how AU 'WOULD HAVE' won if Vaughn makes 1 of those kicks....... so we back it up with a big 'IF' too....

Bottom line is both parties need to stop worrying and talking about LAST year and look forward to THIS year (which is 2 days away by the way).......Lets all just agree that BOTH teams left opportunities on the field and if BOTH teams had taken advantage who knows what the outcome would have been.

The game is 2 days away....lets get excited and look forward to it instead of arguing about LAST year!!!!!

That's what I'm talking about. If's and but's are for :ua: fans. Last year will have no bearing on Saturdays game. Well put, geaux!

There will always be if's from the losing side.

Thats whats soo cool about this game. For the last few years one to two plays can absolutely determine the outcome. A lot of pressure on young kids, thats for sure.

I am very excited to see whats in store on Saturday.

I am not worried about missed FG's or dropped passes...that stuff happens every game to every team. My what if is...what if the pass had not gone off of the foot of a falling down LSU WR who make a juggling catch on LSU's last drive in regulation on 3rd and 10. Next play would have been 4th and 10 instead of 1st down. On the first down play, I believe Russell completed about a 40 yeard pass that set up the tieing field goal. That probably never happens on a 4th and 10. I am not making excuses...that is just a play everyone overlooks...

I am not worried about missed FG's or dropped passes...that stuff happens every game to every team. My what if is...what if the pass had not gone off of the foot of a falling down LSU WR who make a juggling catch on LSU's last drive in regulation on 3rd and 10. Next play would have been 4th and 10 instead of 1st down. On the first down play, I believe Russell completed about a 40 yeard pass that set up the tieing field goal. That probably never happens on a 4th and 10. I am not making excuses...that is just a play everyone overlooks...

"What if" LSU doesn't miss tackles on Irons long TD run??? COME ON GUYS....lets DROP last years game...ITS OVER!!!

"What if" LSU doesn't miss tackles on Irons long TD run??? COME ON GUYS....lets DROP last years game...ITS OVER!!!

But what if we don't drop it and what if we continue to talk about it. what if what if what if what if!!!! :poke:;):big:

Yes...does anyfaux remember the ones we dropped? NO!

:au::homer:

I remember that this is Thursday, and in the morning, when the sun comes up over the Plains of Auburn........it will be Friday.

And then there's Saturday......when all this !@#$ hits the fan.

And on Sunday, the streets of Auburn will be white as snow ;)

Just a little note David was not whining about the missed field goals he was just telling the statistics of the recent games. <_<

David Irons certainly remembers that play. He was the one covering and if i remember correctly he tipped the pass which then fell on Bowe's leg and Bowe grabbed it off his leg. Crazy play, but it does count.

Archived