Pros and Cons about Auburn football so far.

ProgRock

First I would like to thank the defense on a fine preformance against LSU. ONLY 3 POINTS...!!! WOW

Ok here's some of my views of our team a the moment.

PROS

1)I like what Mushcamp is doing.This IS WORKING!!!

2) Kicking game still looks fantastic in my eyes.

3) Kenny is a beast and hits with furiousity.His running in the LSU game,when it just looked like he got real mad and was like....I gonna pound this ball down your throat.It literally lifted the whole team as well as the fans ,when he did this.

4)Holding on to the ball real well.

Cons

1)We need a pass rush please.Russell was making fajatas back there and serving them too.

2)We need pass blocking...Cox right behind center all by his lonesome really doesn't hold a pocket very long.Need maybe shotgun with two blocker to protect.

3)Cox needs to throw faster or run more.Taking way too long.

Also has anyone noticed we don't bunch up on the offensive line anymore? Last year we were shifting out the ying yang and very tight on the line...couldn't wedge paper between the guard and tackle.This year complete players aren't being blocked right off the D line...huge spaces.

Anyways what do you guy think?

First I would like to thank the defense on a fine preformance against LSU. ONLY 3 POINTS...!!! WOW

PROS

3) Kenny is a beast and hits with furiousity.His running in the LSU game,when it just looked like he got real mad and was like....I gonna pound this ball down your throat.It literally lifted the whole team as well as the fans ,when he did this.

Cons

1)We need a pass rush please.Russell was making fajatas back there and serving them too.

2)We need pass blocking...Cox right behind center all by his lonesome really doesn't hold a pocket very long.Need maybe shotgun with two blocker to protect.

Also has anyone noticed we don't bunch up on the offensive line anymore? Last year we were shifting out the ying yang and very tight on the line...couldn't wedge paper between the guard and tackle.This year complete players aren't being blocked right off the D line...huge spaces.

I agree with the Pros. Matt Clark needs scholly next year!!!!!!! If he can keep that up all year that is a weapon. Kody Bliss is unbelievable!! He is booming the ball and using that touch to land inside the 20 when needed.

From my point of view on pass blocking. I thought the OL did pretty good pass blocking. I think most of those sacks were coverage sacks, which could be b/c of some inexperience at the WR ?? #72 is a HOSS on LSUs DL. He is one of the best DL I have seen. I know we have some good and experienced OGs and he was making them look bad. I think LSU has a lot better of an OL than anyone thinks, plus they were kinda liking to hold quite a bit yesterday. We did miss the blitzes from left or right of the C, but I don't know whose responsibility that would be. I am sure coaches will make that point today as they watch game film.

"1)I like what Mushcamp is doing.This IS WORKING!!!"

Except the 3 plays when he played a "prevent defense" during LSUs last drive (giving up 20 yards on each), agreed.

PROS

Cons

I agree with the Pros. Matt Clark needs scholly next year!!!!!!! If he can keep that up all year that is a weapon. Kody Bliss is unbelievable!! He is booming the ball and using that touch to land inside the 20 when needed.

From my point of view on pass blocking. I thought the OL did pretty good pass blocking. I think most of those sacks were coverage sacks, which could be b/c of some inexperience at the WR ?? #72 is a HOSS on LSUs DL. He is one of the best DL I have seen. I know we have some good and experienced OGs and he was making them look bad. I think LSU has a lot better of an OL than anyone thinks, plus they were kinda liking to hold quite a bit yesterday. We did miss the blitzes from left or right of the C, but I don't know whose responsibility that would be. I am sure coaches will make that point today as they watch game film.

I also thought the O-line actually blocked very well on passing downs.

With two strong defensive teams, the DC cannot blitz as much do to the three-step-drop which both teams used. If perfected, the 3-step-drop is one of the most effective offenses today, especially with today's defensive speed (at least in the first half). There has to be more coverage of receivers under these circumstances. Muschamp did send one linebacker on certain down situations, which I saw as conservative and smart. All of the Auburn coaches did a hell of a job Saturday and do not deserved to be second guessed by the likes of us.

The offensive line of Auburn grew-up Staurday, so don't be dismayed. I know, Auburn's a running offensive team, but remember these coaches have far more experience than me or anyone else here, so cut them a bit of slack and stop being so selfish in your concerns. You may, possibly, consider thinking about the players to whom the coaches are responsible, and not your selfish desires.

PROS

Cons

Matt Clark is a SENIOR.

If you found any CONS with the team I watched, you are being very critical. That is a national championship contending team right now! I am a diehard LSU fan, but also a SEC fan in general. You should be very proud of this years team. I would not at all be suprised to see this team holding up the crystal trophy when all is said and done. USC will lose a game this year. They have chinks in the armour. Ohio St. may run the table as well and would be a great NC opponent for AU. We put 8 men in the box and Irons still beat us. He didn't have the gaudy numbers that he had last year, but he still beat us. The punter was the MVP. He won the field position battle by himself. The kicker is just jinxed against us. He was the only weak spot that I saw and he only had one attempt. You have a great team. BE PROUD!!

we have problems on the line. it's not a talent thing. individually this line actually looks MORE talented than the group last year, but they just haven't jelled yet. there were two times in particular that either cope called the wrong blocking formation or the guards didn't get the call b/c dorsey (once) literally didn't get touched on his first sack and there was a linebacker sack where the guy didn't get touched... from the inside linebacker spot. you always pick up from the inside out. those aren't physical problems; they are mental issues. the kinds of things you can work through.

and yes, it was the prevent, and no, we don't know how to play it. savage was playing too deep, and we were rushing three guys. my guess is we spent all of 15 minutes on it all of fall practice so it was silly to try to run that timid set late in the game. best plays on the final drive? rushing 5 (when dede caught russell from behind), and rushing 4 on the final play. we don't know how to play back, and i think muschamp learned that this week.

we have problems on the line. it's not a talent thing. individually this line actually looks MORE talented than the group last year, but they just haven't jelled yet. there were two times in particular that either cope called the wrong blocking formation or the guards didn't get the call b/c dorsey (once) literally didn't get touched on his first sack and there was a linebacker sack where the guy didn't get touched... from the inside linebacker spot. you always pick up from the inside out. those aren't physical problems; they are mental issues. the kinds of things you can work through.

and yes, it was the prevent, and no, we don't know how to play it. savage was playing too deep, and we were rushing three guys. my guess is we spent all of 15 minutes on it all of fall practice so it was silly to try to run that timid set late in the game. best plays on the final drive? rushing 5 (when dede caught russell from behind), and rushing 4 on the final play. we don't know how to play back, and i think muschamp learned that this week.

Good post. Agreed.

Our o-line always seems, to me at least, to start out slow and hit their stride mid-season. From some of the comments coming from Duck and the other linemen, you can tell they aren't satisfied, and I have no doubts we will get the problems fixed. I think that we are still looking for another WR to step up as well. R Smith looks like the best candidate, only time will tell. One thing I will say is that as conservatively as we played on offense Saturday, you can rest assured Borges is cooking something up for the big boys later on.

You are correct and thats part of the reason it bothers me that we played it (dont get me wrong I dont see many cons after this game it was a hard fought win) but I hate the prevent I have seen way to many teams use it and lose. I get the "idea" around it, but the thing that bothered me the most is that we had been successful with our defense scheme all game long...why change it??...every time I have seen major changes in a scheme like this there are issues because the defense isnt used to playing it, thereby causing breakdowns.

Coach Muschamp please dont play the prevent!!!

Archived