Final word and explanation on the call

TitanTiger

I know it won't, but this should end the handwringing over the call:

SEC supervisor of officials Rogers Redding said Monday afternoon that the call was correct because Brock's tip made the pass not catchable. Video seems to indicate that Gilbert hit Doucet before Brock tipped it, which could be pass interference. However, that hinges on whether the officials determine the ball was catchable.

"Here's what we had," Redding said. "The back judge correctly saw pass interference contact. He threw his flag. The other defensive player came flying across and, just about concurrent and maybe a tiny bit after the contact, he knocks the ball away. It became an uncatchable forward pass.

"What the back judge saw was correct. The field judge came in and said the ball was knocked away. They determined this was an uncatchable forward pass.

"The timing of the tip didn't come into play. If there is [contact] before the ball arrives, it could be pass interference. It depends on whether the touching of the ball made the ball catchable. This was not a tip. This was a deflection, which is what made it an uncatchable forward pass."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/gamedayFinal...e=gamedayFinal3

The problem is people don't know the rules and don't bother to look them up, either. Even Les Miles looks like a total ignoramus when he said, "I've got to get a better understanding of the rules." I know he's trying to be diplomatic and all but Sweet Jesus, he's the head coach!

I think part of the misunderstanding here is the concept of a "catchable forward pass." A rulebook definition for this phrase basically defines it as an untouched forward pass. As soon as the ball is tipped in flight (anywhere Coach Miles, not just at the line of scrimmage,) it no longer can be defined as a "catchable forward pass." Confusion is then introduced when you start calling it an uncatchable forward pass, because it implies that the pass can't be caught. Obviously, this isn't always the case because tipped or deflected passes are still sometimes caught. In trying to describe a negative of something, the "uncatchable" forward pass is poor phrasing and the official explanation just comes off as further confusing people who were ignorant of the rule to begin with. It's like this: many of the LSU fans are hung up on the timing of Gibert's interference vs Brock's deflection. The timing is irrelevent. I know it's a hard pill to swallow, but when you read the actual rule ... ... you will find enlightenment. Geez, I hope Les Miles gets around to reading the rule!

its no different than a call such as a WR gets decked in the end zone but the ball was thrown 20 ft in the air above his head and there is no call (which i'm sure we've all seen happen at least once before). question #1 about a PI call is "was it catchable?" if it was touched, overthrown, on its way out of bounds, etc it is deemed uncatchable. i didn't understand why all the bickering was started in the first place regardless of the rule.....its done and over with.

Ironic isn't it? Bama fans jumping on the wagon to defend LSU about a pass interference call when most of those same Bama fans are still whining about a "non" call in the Bama v. LSU game of two years ago.

That guy wasn't defending LSU.. he was just stating what he saw... and BTW, I havn't heard 1 Alabama fan complain about that call since that season. Sometimes it gets old with all the bickering about Alabama fans and anything involving the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa. :puke:

LSU wasnt complaining on this horrible gift call against Bama.

The hipocricy is running a bit rich since the game. If you want to belabor The SEC Official review of the call on Saturday, then please have the nads to admit that you guys should never have beaten Bama with this call.

Goose-Gander...

If, but for the contact from Gilbert, Doucet would have had a play on the ball before the tip, then LSU would have a gripe; once the ball was tipped, however, it became uncatchable. Whether the contact prevented Doucet from making a play on the ball before the tip was a (non-reviewable) judgment call, and, rightly or wrongly, they made it. Tough break for LSU, but move on.

"The timing of the tip didn't come into play. If there is [contact] before the ball arrives, it could be pass interference. It depends on whether the touching of the ball made the ball catchable. This was not a tip. This was a deflection, which is what made it an uncatchable forward pass."

http://www.wilddogdigital.com/Auburn2006/index.htm

These new pictures should explain everything and end all doubt. I'm just quoting the above rule, but it sort of appears to me that their is a minor bit of contact BEFORE the ball was tipped. For the love of GOD, Gilbert starts hanging all over Doucet's arms a good 5 yards before the ball was even deflected. This is f-ing Pass Interference and there is absolutely NO denying this. The whole "well, the ball was tipped so therefore there is no PI" argument is obsolete. You can not contact the WR like this until AFTER the ball is tipped. You can freaking tackle the WR, spit in his face, kick his dog, etc... do anything you want AFTER the ball is tipped.

What stings every LSU fan is that the back judge who is clearly standing 5 yards away called the play and 10 minutes later (exageration) they overturn it.

Would we have scored? Dunno. Would we have fumbled the ball next play, and Auburn ran it back for a TD? Dunno. We just feel a little cheated about not getting the opportunity to play it out.

http://www.wilddogdigital.com/Auburn2006/index.htm

These new pictures should explain everything and end all doubt. I'm just quoting the above rule, but it sort of appears to me that their is a minor bit of contact BEFORE the ball was tipped. For the love of GOD, Gilbert starts hanging all over Doucet's arms a good 5 yards before the ball was even deflected. This is f-ing Pass Interference and there is absolutely NO denying this. The whole "well, the ball was tipped so therefore there is no PI" argument is obsolete. You can not contact the WR like this until AFTER the ball is tipped. You can freaking tackle the WR, spit in his face, kick his dog, etc... do anything you want AFTER the ball is tipped.

What stings every LSU fan is that the back judge who is clearly standing 5 yards away called the play and 10 minutes later (exageration) they overturn it.

Would we have scored? Dunno. Would we have fumbled the ball next play, and Auburn ran it back for a TD? Dunno. We just feel a little cheated about not getting the opportunity to play it out.

He was in the air BEHIND Brock!''You are dreaming on the 5 yards bit...he got there early but wasn;t on him 5 yards early!

AUBURN GOT SHAFTED ons everal no call PIs as well so get over it!

Russell couldn't score throw a td pass with 3 freshmen being forced to play due to injuries in the AU seconday!

If PI is called against LSU in the 3rd quarter (inside the 10) (WHICH WAS FAR WORSE) then LSU is out of the game much earlier!!!!!!!!!

Those pics show NO depth and are posted to make the players appear much closer than they were..either way the ball gets deflected....SNIFF SNIFF!

PAYBACK from `04s screwing!

Guest Tigrinum Major

Well, like I said, it should be the final word, but it won't be. So I'm locking it down before this one spirals out of control as well.

I told all of you to relax with a Black and Mild, but y'all just couldn't let it go. Now you done made us go and lock another thread.

No gumbo for you! One year!

Archived