Official Game Thread

AUesquire

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll wait to watch games on Saturday, but right now, I'm dropping AU out of the top 5 until we find an effective offense.

X2

Our offense scored on all but two drives are i think. D was just playing very soft. Also Willhite was out witch really hurt.

Spurrier did a nice job of finding matches, which is what he does. They attacked Gilbert and Powers all night. Need to get healthy back there in the secondary.

We all knew this could be a trap game going in, with Spurrier coaching, a road game, and it being a short week.

Our recievers still are not stepping it up, and thats what I am afraid is going to bite us somewhere.

With all due respect...anyone who posts on this board about being disrespected can shove it, at least for the next week. (nerves getting to me, better just call it a night)

Oh well guys. This was Muschamp's wake up call. Our D needs a TON of work. This wasn't UF or UGA for crying out loud. Maybe a week or two in the second half of the top ten will wake these guys up. Now we get to see how these guys handle this dose of humility they were just served. Suck it up Tigers!!

Uum...we won...War Damn Eagle..... in any season, you need to win games like this....an SEC win on the road is a good thing....plus, I like beating Superior no matter how you do it....

I'm usually the roughest on Auburn in a game like this..but come on guys....we're winning and there is a lot to work on.....

Talking heads are gonna tear AU a new one this Saturday... all day long

It is not going to be pretty. How I long for the days when a road win against a great head coach was enough. Unfortunately we live in a world where style points are as important as winning the games.

War Eagle!

My God...it's upset night, and we're the freaking Goliath. How the HELL did that ever happen?!?!

Because we underestimated Steve Spurrier just because it was SC. Mushcamp got out coached tonight by a great offensive mind. But, that is no reason to call for the guys head. Muschamp is a proven DC and he will move on from this game and learn.

Look I have no problem with being critical of the defensive coaching tonight, but some of the comments about getting rid of Muschcamp, etc was over the line if you ask me. Sounded too much like fans of the school on the west side of the state.

I also so a lack of execution from the players at times. Our young secondary got exposed. We also had a bad night with penalties.

OK, lets just be THRILLED that we barely won the game just because they were coached by Stevie. I mean we should not expect the #2 team in the country to handle a team that got killed by UGA. I guess Steve was not coaching that game because he surely would have put at least 40 points on the board. Sorry, but we are ranked #2 in the nation. We should not be content with just winning. We need to play like the #2 team, especially when the nation is watching.

Well, was that an offensive clinic or what?

That was a classic Spurrier offense. Fantastic time management. I bet USC knocks off somebody big this week.

Exactly. We saw SC play a Steve Spurrier type offense. Until last week, they had not showed that yet. I think or coaches were not prepared for that. I also think we underestimated Newton.

Some were questioning why we were not blitzing more and I agree with that. Those last two blitzes worked. But also, I remember seeing two times that we did blitz that we got burnt on a Newton run. Our secondary also finally showed their youth tonight. With Wilhite hurt, that did not help either. We had some blown coverages that had nothing to do with the defensive scheme. Regardless of the scheme, you still have to cover the WRs.

Listen guys I agree with ranger, Muschamp is a proven D-coordinator all u have to do is look at his record. With that being said I disagree with the 3 man rush and the very limited blitz package he called tonight. Plus just like I have been saying all year, as much as I love :au: I am still waiting on them to prove to me they are a national champion caliber team. But I must note that the other top teams in the nation have not been all that impressive either. WAR EAGLE!!! WE WON ON THE ROAD AGAINST STEVE SPURRIER!!

Well, was that an offensive clinic or what?

That was a classic Spurrier offense. Fantastic time management. I bet USC knocks off somebody big this week.

Exactly. We saw SC play a Steve Spurrier type offense. Until last week, they had not showed that yet. I think or coaches were not prepared for that. I also think we underestimated Newton.

Some were questioning why we were not blitzing more and I agree with that. Those last two blitzes worked. But also, I remember seeing two times that we did blitz that we got burnt on a Newton run. Our secondary also finally showed their youth tonight. With Wilhite hurt, that did not help either. We had some blown coverages that had nothing to do with the defensive scheme. Regardless of the scheme, you still have to cover the WRs.

I would also add that this was exactly the kind of team we needed to play at this juncture in the season. Quite frankly, I think South Carolina's offense tonight is better than Florida's. Seriously. Their new QB is a phenom.

We need Gibbs! We went from Chizik to Gibbs to THIS???

We did not stop them but one time since the first quarter... We will not be #2 Monday, we probably were over-rated. We came in flat as a pancake on Defense.

Thank God the O woke up just in time. We have to get into playing as the favorite. We have to grow and act like Champions.

The growing pains are killing me though. That was the worst D I have seen AU play since the :ua: 01 game. CWM would not blitz and just kept giving them all day long to throw.

We let :usc: get first down after first down after first down. We did not tackle until they had the first downmarker time after time. I am very worried about the the rest of our schedule. t may be time that CTT took back over the D from now on.

My God...it's upset night, and we're the freaking Goliath. How the HELL did that ever happen?!?!

Because we underestimated Steve Spurrier just because it was SC. Mushcamp got out coached tonight by a great offensive mind. But, that is no reason to call for the guys head. Muschamp is a proven DC and he will move on from this game and learn.

Look I have no problem with being critical of the defensive coaching tonight, but some of the comments about getting rid of Muschcamp, etc was over the line if you ask me. Sounded too much like fans of the school on the west side of the state.

I also so a lack of execution from the players at times. Our young secondary got exposed. We also had a bad night with penalties.

OK, lets just be THRILLED that we barely won the game just because they were coached by Stevie. I mean we should not expect the #2 team in the country to handle a team that got killed by UGA. I guess Steve was not coaching that game because he surely would have put at least 40 points on the board. Sorry, but we are ranked #2 in the nation. We should not be content with just winning. We need to play like the #2 team, especially when the nation is watching.

Dude, you need to chill. Nobody is getting "thrilled" about almost getting beat, but we did win. If you guys want to start acting like the bammers board and cry that the sky is falling, then go ahead. I bet they are enjoying reading this crap after all the grief we give them about their meltdowns.

Everbody has a close game, even the top teams in the country. How many times in the last few years have we seen USC, OU, etc have a close game in the regular season? It happens folks!!!

Well, that's the thing. We played soft all night long because of SC's stud receivers. But you have to admit their QB is a complete stud. My God.

Seville quit the QB position when Spurrier arrived because he could not grasp the offense. With Blake Mitchell suspended/ in the dog house Newton was forced into action as QB. A stud? Me don't think so... Spurrier an offensive genius...yep.

Well, that's the thing. We played soft all night long because of SC's stud receivers. But you have to admit their QB is a complete stud. My God.

Seville quit the QB position when Spurrier arrived because he could not grasp the offense. With Blake Mitchell suspended/ in the dog house Newton was forced into action as QB. A stud? Me don't think so... Spurrier an offensive genius...yep.

Hey, that guy was a threat on every down. Except for the INT, he really didn't make a mistake all night. And remember that he managed to scramble out of what should of been a helluva a lot of coverage sacks.

He remnds me of Matt Jones, actually.

I am happy about the win, but let's face it, we are the 2nd ranked team in the nation, and we need to play like one. They may be coached by Steve Spurrier, but it was our defense that was giving up plays after plays. Sure, Spurrier is famous for finding weaknesses, but look at the result when we rushed 4, we pressured the QB, forced him to throw it away or sacked him. But when we rush 3, first down, first down, first down. Shouldn't that make you worried? When something works, why would you revert to old scheme?

Ok, I'm so mad right now I could eat nails and spit bullets.

First the positives:

--Kenny Irons ran hard, got tough yards, over 100 yds rushing and two TDs

--The tight ends. Great hands and nice catches to extend drives

--Gutsy calls. Loved the onside kick and going for it on 4th in SC territory.

--Cox made nice throws. Still held the ball too long a couple of times.

--We won.

Now the negatives:

--Well, one negative. Defense played awful. Tackling wasn't worth crap. Coverage was just as bad except for a couple of key plays in the endzone (thank God). Lazy, lazy, lazy play. Undisciplined rush by the line allowing a mobile QB to escape containment. Failure to take away the quick inside slants after getting killed by them all night. Never figured out that using a LB as a spy might help with containing Newton. Gave up key 3rd downs all night.

Basically, a really good offense would have killed us if we played this way. Where was the intensity we had against LSU? We'd better find it.

I think that the O of SC was aided by the youth and complete lack of concentration by our DBs. USC did what not one person thought they would but in usual Ball Coach fasion he showed why SC was elated to get him. SC deserved that game tonight we played 3 Quarters of solid ball and looked like we were spining our wheels in the last 10 min of the game. The O did show some real problems for opposing teams but we have got to throw on 3rd down when we have the lead!!!!!!!!! PA to the tight-end on our last drive keeps us on the field with there weakness starting to come out on D! One last point if there is any to this rant. We must get better!!!!! I take nothing away from USC they really shocked me tonight on O and D.And yet we are 5-0 with a couple days to get ready for another SEC dogfight with Ark and they have shown that they can compete with the top teams and will beat someone they shouldnt I just pray it is not US!!!!!

Great job by Brandon Cox, Kenny Irons, and the O!

Really disapointed in the D gameplan, but I had been worried about Syvelle and his legs. he did a great job of passing the ball at times as well.

Glad to win it! But almost feels like a loss in the gut......We got sucked into a clock game, and almost lost it.................... War Damn Eagle! 5-0

Archived