Official Game Thread

AUesquire

We need Gibbs! We went from Chizik to Gibbs to THIS???

We did not stop them but one time since the first quarter... We will not be #2 Monday, we probably were over-rated. We came in flat as a pancake on Defense.

Thank God the O woke up just in time. We have to get into playing as the favorite. We have to grow and act like Champions.

The growing pains are killing me though. That was the worst D I have seen AU play since the :ua: 01 game. CWM would not blitz and just kept giving them all day long to throw.

We let :usc: get first down after first down after first down. We did not tackle until they had the first downmarker time after time. I am very worried about the the rest of our schedule. t may be time that CTT took back over the D from now on.

We need Gibbs! We went from Chizik to Gibbs to THIS???

We did not stop them but one time since the first quarter... We will not be #2 Monday, we probably were over-rated. We came in flat as a pancake on Defense.

Thank God the O woke up just in time. We have to get into playing as the favorite. We have to grow and act like Champions.

The growing pains are killing me though. That was the worst D I have seen AU play since the :ua: 01 game. CWM would not blitz and just kept giving them all day long to throw.

We let :usc: get first down after first down after first down. We did not tackle until they had the first downmarker time after time. I am very worried about the the rest of our schedule. It may be time that CTT took back over the D from now on.

You can say that again.....

Except for the Gibbs part.

I thought the end of the LSU game was a wakeup call for CWM. Apparently not. We did not play the same defensive game tonight that we did against LSU. No physicality whatsoever. It looked like we picked up right at the end of the LSU game. Being of the defensive mind, I'm sure Tubby has CWM's boys in a vice already.

I will say that if Newton had been the QB since the beginning of the season and played as well as he did tonight, They could be undefeated now. If he plays this well in the future, they could end the season really well.

The big question is, Is SC really this good. Or did SOS pull one out of his arse?

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, we won a road game in the SEC. We are not going to run rough shod over every team like we did MSU and Buffalo. Sure, our defense showed some weakness, but our offense showed some nice new wrinkles. Calm down. War Eagle, and bring on those stinkin Hogs! B)

Well, that's the thing. We played soft all night long because of SC's stud receivers. But you have to admit their QB is a complete stud. My God.

Seville quit the QB position when Spurrier arrived because he could not grasp the offense. With Blake Mitchell suspended/ in the dog house Newton was forced into action as QB. A stud? Me don't think so... Spurrier an offensive genius...yep.

Hey, that guy was a threat on every down. Except for the INT, he really didn't make a mistake all night. And remember that he managed to scramble out of what should of been a helluva a lot of coverage sacks.

He remnds me of Matt Jones, actually.

If you think Seville is a stud, Tebow will blow your mind. If we play man to man against UF and lose containment on the QB we will lose. Mark it down, we will need some major improvement on the defense before we play the gators...

After reading my post I think what my point should be is we have got to step on the throat of our oponent (SP). What this team lacks at times is that killer instinct that the 04 team had. And I agree we beat one of the all-time great coaches at his house!! But this is not Fla, Ga, or Bama. And I know that Bama is not what they used to be but at BDS with 4 in a row and them having never beat us there scares that yohoo out of me!

Good win and now lets fry up some Bacon!!!!

ONE at a time!!!!

But USC had 2 TRUE FRESHMAN on the o line and a wide receiver in at QB,...the #2 tema in the nation should have been a 14 point winner at least!....our D looked like crap...our safeties are weak...and I've never voiced it here before but I'm not a fan of Zach Gilbert...he hasn't covered anybody since he's been at AU...don't like to pick out players but come on...

My assement is the opposing team QB no matter who it has been has ALLLlllll day long and some of the next day to throw.Washington State 2nd string QB comes in for some "game experience" has all day throw for a touchdown.Buffalo..........by gosh buffalo giving us a hard time.Russell's jersey was spot less.

That's our main problem ......giving the other QB heck.We just can't do it.It isn't just all of a sudden gonna click guys ,this is the 4th game it will be like this for the rest of the season.I know we all who are here are waiting for that game,but all I heard so far is excuse's.

the sky is not falling, but with that said, NO MORE 3-4. Even when we are ahead by 100+, no more 3-4. It doesn't work aginst average QB's. time to put some pressure on the QB.

There will be a freshman QB comign into our house next week. Don't let a freshman have time to read the d. put pressure on him.

good night!

Ok, I'm so mad right now I could eat nails and spit bullets.

First the positives:

--Kenny Irons ran hard, got tough yards, over 100 yds rushing and two TDs

--The tight ends. Great hands and nice catches to extend drives

--Gutsy calls. Loved the onside kick and going for it on 4th in SC territory.

--Cox made nice throws. Still held the ball too long a couple of times.

--We won.

Now the negatives:

--Well, one negative. Defense played awful. Tackling wasn't worth crap. Coverage was just as bad except for a couple of key plays in the endzone (thank God). Lazy, lazy, lazy play. Undisciplined rush by the line allowing a mobile QB to escape containment. Failure to take away the quick inside slants after getting killed by them all night. Never figured out that using a LB as a spy might help with containing Newton. Gave up key 3rd downs all night.

Basically, a really good offense would have killed us if we played this way. Where was the intensity we had against LSU? We'd better find it.

I agree with you TT. But why Muschamp didn't go zone early when Newton began scrambling is beyond me. How can your DBs and LBs react to a scrambling QB when they are locked in man to man coverage with their backs to the QB? They can't. That's why you play zone to keep the QB in front of the defensive players... :no:

An athletic QB tends to neutralize our speed on D. He kept getting 1st downs few QBs would get. I would have loved to have seen a better performance, but we held a Spurrier team to 17 points on a Thursday night away game. I'll take it.

the sky is not falling, but with that said, NO MORE 3-4. Even when we are ahead by 100+, no more 3-4. It doesn't work aginst average QB's. time to put some pressure on the QB.

There will be a freshman QB comign into our house next week. Don't let a freshman have time to read the d. put pressure on him.

good night!

The Steelers won the Super Bowl with a dominate 3-4 defense. Difference? The use of the zone blitz. Steelers use it often. Muschamp better start using it more or else we'll continue to see offenses abuse our defense.

I thought our offense played a great game tonight and had our defense done ANYTHING we'd have scored 40+. For those of you that went to the Buffalo game, you will agree that this is 2 incredibly poor game plans in a row. Yes. it was Buffalo and we can use all the cliches you can come up with for a game like that. Bottom line, it looked as if they had NO defensive game plan for a high school team coming in to JH. They only scored 7 but they moved the ball all over the field.

This was SC. This was the same team that couldn't score 20 on MSU. This is the same team that got ROOFED by UGA. My problem is that I and evryone on this board and everyone across America and my father in law who just called me....saw that rushing 3 WAS NOT WORKING. We made no attempt to put pressure on this team. And it wasn't a 3-4. It was a 3-2 with the other 6 trying to figure out who to cover.

This was NOT a Spurrier brainchild...some crazy offense we've never seen. This was Muschamp calling a defensive gameplan that made everyone go :blink: WTF??? All game long. Let's rush 3. Oh gee, they got 9 on that play? Well, let's rush 3 again, they'll never expect that. Wow, they just converted a 3rd and 14? Hey, why don't we rush 3???????

I think Cox did throw a little better although he can't or won't run at all,needs count 1,2,3 run or scramble or throw(it is that simple).Kenny ran great.Where was Lester?

Anyways I don't know really what to think,I don't think we are national title material.I still love my Tigers but I grew up in the Dye era and the defense was feared and agressive.I'm thinking we've just moved into another era ala John Lovett bend but don't break defense.

I don't know why some posters are satisfied that we won by a thread. Instead of looking at holding Spurrier to 17 points...

I'd like to look at why we gave up 17 points, gave up 350 yards, 100+ yards in rushing and 200+ yards in passing to a new QB.

I'd like to look at why we did so well against LSU but decided to hang it up against SC, and believe me, we hung it up for this game.

I'd like to know why we kept on rushing 3 when CLEARLY it wasn't having its intended effect and why we did not change.

Some of you seem to have been relieved that we won and think that it's okay, but not for this Auburn fan. I remember the 04 season when we were outside looking in. And unlike ND, USC, OSU, we DO NOT have the media salivating over us. Those teams can have close games and still get by in the poll, but not Auburn. The reality is that we nee to win, and we need to win with style. You and I might not agree to this, but it is reality, and we have to start playing within those bound.

That being said, I am extremely pleased with our Offense. Kenny had a great day, 2 TD to go with that 100+ yards, and BC managed the game extremely well. CAB definitely opened up the playbook a little and I can't wait to see more of it next week.

Now, we have a lot of work to do. We are #2. We are known for our D, and we need to live up to our namesake.

I don't know why some posters are satisfied that we won by a thread. Instead of looking at holding Spurrier to 17 points...

I'd like to look at why we gave up 17 points, gave up 350 yards, 100+ yards in rushing and 200+ yards in passing to a new QB.

I'd like to look at why we did so well against LSU but decided to hang it up against SC, and believe me, we hung it up for this game.

I'd like to know why we kept on rushing 3 when CLEARLY it wasn't having its intended effect and why we did not change.

Some of you seem to have been relieved that we won and think that it's okay, but not for this Auburn fan. I remember the 04 season when we were outside looking in. And unlike ND, USC, OSU, we DO NOT have the media salivating over us. Those teams can have close games and still get by in the poll, but not Auburn. The reality is that we nee to win, and we need to win with style. You and I might not agree to this, but it is reality, and we have to start playing within those bound.

That being said, I am extremely pleased with our Offense. Kenny had a great day, 2 TD to go with that 100+ yards, and BC managed the game extremely well. CAB definitely opened up the playbook a little and I can't wait to see more of it next week.

Now, we have a lot of work to do. We are #2. We are known for our D, and we need to live up to our namesake.

We won.

We won.

Yes, we won, but we did not win in a convincing fashion, and this game exposed our weaknesses on D and that is not us. It'd be great if all we have to do is win and we will get to MNC, but that's not facing reality, reality is you have to blow out your opponents, and anything short of that is perceived weakness. Like it or hate it, that's the confine we have to work with now.

Two things I noticed alot of on defense, if we blitzed the kid got outside of it and ran for big yards or threw to whoever Gilbert or Powers was on cause they got free and went for big gains.

I think we dumped the blitz to keep them underneath and try and avoid giving up the big play which was coming, and missed once due to a drop.

Missing Gandy, and now Wilhite put us in a hole in the secondary and if you look at where the completions went they went at the back-ups. Blitz or not, Spurrier went right at the weakness and inexperience of our D.

Am I upset that we didn't win by more than 7 points? Yes....but then I thought about it, and Steve Spurrier is a great coach whether you like him or not, so that probably played a factor in the close score.

I'm not ready to fire Will Muschamp....I mean it's not like he plays the game or anything...and overall I think the D will be fine....but the safeties might be a concern...

I haven't seen many people talking about the fact that we had the ball for the entire 3rd quarter....I've never seen or heard of that ever, by any team....on the other hand we didn't really help things in the 4th by playing it conservatively, but then again, how angry would we all have been if we tried to throw the ball and Cox was picked off and then everyone would be complaining about how we were trying to go for style points and we should have just taken care of our business and won and let the polls work themselves out.......

I thought we played well, at times looked like a number 2 team in the nation, but other times not so much...but will we even be worried if Southern Cal or Ohio State lose this weekend?? My point is, we won...it wasn't a convincing as I'd have liked, but a win is a win and I'll take it. Let's correct our mistakes, rest up, and get ready for Arkansas....and start preparing for Florida's offense (not much of course, b/c don't want to overlook any opponent, but we need to work on some stuff before we play another top 5 team)...

If we beat Florida convincingly we won't even be worrying about tonight...and like I said if Ohio State or USC lose we probably won't worry much either. War Eagle!!

(aren't we only a few wins from being bowl eligible and it's not even October??)

Yeah, I am not ready to fire CWM either, I just know that we have to shore up our defense. The O is playing like the 2nd team in the nation, efficient, deadly, quick, and balanced. A good mix of throwing and rushing, reminds me of the 04 season. When our D catches up, we will be ready. But as of now, at 5-0, I do not believe we have played 100% on both sides of the ball in the same game. Hope that will change next week!

WDE 5-0! 1 win from being bowl-eligible B)

You know what the most reoccurring phrase on this site is as of this year?Don't worry well get it together next week,we'll adjust things, and we'll be fine.I wish I had this many people to back me up at work,when I don't get things done and just keep on pumping the sunshine for me.That would rock.Does this apply to all the areas of your lives.Barely getting by sux.Dad I made all D+'s on my report card, whooo that was close but hey you PASSED that all that matters,you'll do better next time.

Archived