Several thoughts on yesterdays games

Tigermike

After watching football all day, I don't think AU should lose any ground in the polls. But I am not a voter.

Vanderbilt 43, Temple 14!!!! It's hard to remember Vanderbilt ever scoring that many points. I'm sure they have, but it has been a while and I sure don't remember.

I was truly surprised at the closeness of the UGA & Ole Miss game. The UGA offense is struggling with a young QB. Ole Miss played hard, but they just don't have the horses.

Washington State hung with SoCal better than I thought they would. Since they have both played and beat WSU, I didn't see anything that would make me think SoCal should be ahead of AUBURN.

LSU looked great. But then they were playing MSU. MSU did score 17 more than I expected.

Bama looked better in the first half than I expected. I thought Fla would have been able to run the ball better than they did. This past week, the Bama fans were ready to send Shula out of town on a rail. Will their performance against Florida silence the Shula critics? This week Bama should get back in the win column against Duke. Are they already practicing Rammer Jammer?

Ohio State looked very good, offensively & defensively. Iowa made too many mistakes to have a chance.

Dennis Franchonie may be looking for a job soon. Will the A & M $$$$ guys put up with much more?

Nebraska/Kansas - overtime! Kansas is not a good team and they took Nebraska into OT. It really shouldn't have been a big surprise, between them, they have only played one good team and Nebraska lost that one to USC.

Miami barely beat Houston. Larry Coker probably should go ahead and schedule the movers.

Oregon beat Arizona State 48-13. Last week California beat ASU 49 - 21. ASU plays USC this week, will USC hang 60 on them?

Bama's performance against FL was ALL Florida's lack of execution. Take the bad snap-fumble TD out and Bama has no TD at all. A fluke was Bama's only meaningful production. They just can't find the endzone this year. I'll bet their red zone numbers are among the worst.

Florida looked like crap in the first quarter. If they come to JHS looking like that it'll be ugly. I don't expect them to, though!

You are correct about the Bama offense sucking in the red zone. But their D played well for the most part.

The Gators will be coming to JH the week after they play LSU. If they are as beat up as the AU players were after the LSU game, they will be hurting. Which will give the talking idiots at ESPN another excuse to denigrate AU when they beat the Gators.

But Arkansas is this week. Beat the Hogs!!!!!

** Bama passed better than I thought they could, until the last two picks.

** Wonder how the loss of their RB Wynn will hurt the Gators? I will be surprised if he is back for our game.

** Two or three more minutes on the clock and WSU would have beat USC! They could have beaten them if they had just figured out and been able to cover Smith.

** OSU looks like the best team rigt now! But, I still have my doubts about the D. Those questions will be answered very soon when they play Michigan.

Now more impportantly, my concerns about our Tigers:

** Other than Courtney Taylor and Rod Smith, WRs have been very disappointing.

** Really bothers me we give up a BIG PLAY to SC's TE when we got beat the same exact way for a TD the first game against WSU! Don't think some of the better offensive teams didn't notice this. Our safties, specifically #38, have to get better!

** Our D will be better overall with Mr Wilhite back in the lineup.

I also think we should continue to look for our young TEs!! They are both studs!!

Well, bring on the piggs!! Warrrr Eagle!!!

Obervations on the UAT/UF game:

1. Poor camera angles all game long. Didn't matter what camera they used for instant replay, they were all at some weird angle where you couldnt definately make a true decision about the call.

2. Biased commentating. Both commentators were pro-Florida. Really doesn't suprise me. Most telecasts go into a game hyping up the team they want to win. It seemed like whatever the color commentator said, Bama did the opposite. Proved his lack of football related intuition. If you do what the other teams expects, that's an easy way to lose.

3. Ranking. On more than one occasion both announcers said if Florida could run the table against UAT, LSU, AU and UGA, there's no reason why they should not be #1 because the SEC is the toughest conference. No joke. CBS finally figured it out. I wish they would call ESPN and let them know. Where was CBS two years ago?

4. Florida QB's. Having two good quarterbacks and being able to freely rotate them in and out is a weapon. Not only to show something different but also in case one goes down. Nothing beats experience when it's time to step up. It also says something about the offense. During a game the line is used to the cadence and pass protection of one QB. It's hard to adjust to another and still produce positive yards.

Observations about AU:

The most important thing right now is to play every game one at a time. Don't look ahead. Don't worry about what everyone else is doing. Forget about ranking, polls, stats. Just play the next team on the schedule. There's a lot of football to be played.

Archived