Perspective

wesfau

If your mom says she's cooking steak and you get there and it's hamburger steak, you still enjoy it, but it's hard to get that nagging taste for a juicy ribeye out of your mind.

That's friggin' hilarious! And it's probably happened to me with my wife a time or two, so you pulled me exactly into your thoughts with that analogy. Do you make these things up or is that a common analogy that I am not aware of?!? Great, War Galen! (in my best Jim Rome impression)

Also, regarding perspective, I remember Texas 3 to 5 years ago. Everybody was always saying that Mack Brown couldn't get over that hump. They were always 11-1 or 10-2, ranked in the top 10 or top 5 mostly at the end of the year, but could never get over that hump and win a national championship (or beat Oklahoma). Some critisized, but I always looked at it as a good problem to have. Then once they realized this and stopped worrying about it, they won the national championship. I feel we are on the right track; recruiting is great, we are consistantly part of national discussion, we OWN Bama, we have for the most part been in the top 10 for quite a while and we have a great head coach and staff with quality players and personnel all around. It will all come in due time. And be very much worth it when it does happen I hope it is this year (go Vols!, go Scarlet Knights!, etc.), but if not we always have next year. Now, don't take this as me being a 'sunshine pumper', I like to discuss our woes as much as the next guy (change punt returners now or I will lose my mind!!!), but this is truely how I feel.

Some of you guys and gals need some, apparently.

Tour the Arky boards. They are, for the most part, very excited about being 8-1. Their one loss was a drubbing. They have beaten: Auburn.

Our fans are griping, pissing and moaning about the littlest things and seem oblivious to the fact that our team is 9-1. Our one loss makes it more difficult to get to the SECCG, but was not a drubbing. We have beaten: UF and LSU.

Come on get happy.

Arkansas was expected to finish a distant third in the SEC-W. Some had them pegged behind Bama. They control their own destiny now.

That wasn't the case for Auburn. Auburn was projected to win, and win handily. Instead, there seems to be a constant struggle to gain any momentum. Reverse the roles and I'm dancing in the streets. Sometimes the burden of expectations (realistic ones, even) weighs down the joy. If your mom says she's cooking steak and you get there and it's hamburger steak, you still enjoy it, but it's hard to get that nagging taste for a juicy ribeye out of your mind.

Bingo. If this season happens any other year but this one, YES, we're all dancing in the streets. All we've done this year is win and it just doesn't seem like enough sometimes. We're 9 and freakin' 1. Our loss is to a top 10-15 team. We constantly harp on the SEC being the toughest conference in the nation and when one of the best teams in that conference comes in and catches us flat...we're all deflated about the season that could have been. We're 9-1 with 2 games left against our two biggest traditional rivals. We have a chance at a BCS bowl and a far outside chance at the national championship game if the stars aligned just right.

I'm goin' to The Plains early Saturday and hookin' up with some AUNation folks to get primed fo' dem ole Bew Dawgs. :au::cheer::au:

I have high expectations that Esquire will drink enough in memory of his absent homies.

It's an 11:30 game. 11:30!!!!!! :banghead:

How does one prime the pump so early? I have to drive from Dothan. 2 and a half hours away.

Rackafritchinbrakfranistram :angry:

If your mom says she's cooking steak and you get there and it's hamburger steak, you still enjoy it, but it's hard to get that nagging taste for a juicy ribeye out of your mind.

Bet babe, slide a piece a da porter, drink si' run th' java.

Some of you guys and gals need some, apparently.

Tour the Arky boards. They are, for the most part, very excited about being 8-1. Their one loss was a drubbing. They have beaten: Auburn.

Our fans are griping, pissing and moaning about the littlest things and seem oblivious to the fact that our team is 9-1. Our one loss makes it more difficult to get to the SECCG, but was not a drubbing. We have beaten: UF and LSU.

Come on get happy.

Arkansas was expected to finish a distant third in the SEC-W. Some had them pegged behind Bama. They control their own destiny now.

That wasn't the case for Auburn. Auburn was projected to win, and win handily. Instead, there seems to be a constant struggle to gain any momentum. Reverse the roles and I'm dancing in the streets. Sometimes the burden of expectations (realistic ones, even) weighs down the joy. If your mom says she's cooking steak and you get there and it's hamburger steak, you still enjoy it, but it's hard to get that nagging taste for a juicy ribeye out of your mind.

Bingo. If this season happens any other year but this one, YES, we're all dancing in the streets. All we've done this year is win and it just doesn't seem like enough sometimes. We're 9 and freakin' 1. Our loss is to a top 10-15 team. We constantly harp on the SEC being the toughest conference in the nation and when one of the best teams in that conference comes in and catches us flat...we're all deflated about the season that could have been. We're 9-1 with 2 games left against our two biggest traditional rivals. We have a chance at a BCS bowl and a far outside chance at the national championship game if the stars aligned just right.

I'm goin' to The Plains early Saturday and hookin' up with some AUNation folks to get primed fo' dem ole Bew Dawgs. :au::cheer::au:

I have high expectations that Esquire will drink enough in memory of his absent homies.

How does one prime the pump so early? I have to drive from Dothan. 2 and a half hours away.

Make the warm up coffee with a little something special.

Coffee? Fugetaboutit! There's a simple solution to all of this.

You start with at least 5 hours of sleep Friday night (7 if you're over 40).

Get a CD player/clock radio and set your alarm to the Auburn fight song or pregame tune (its the first song on the marching band cd's, if you don't have one, pick one up, also available for illegal download on p2p networks).

Set that bad boy to its loudest setting.

Wake up to the sound of the drum majors yelling "Band, ten hut!" and the band yelling "One!" and every drum hitting exactly once at exactly the same time. Listen to the 3 whistles blow and the drum cadence begin.

Roll over and enjoy the face of the person sleeping next to you as they wake up in a mixture of shock, suprise, and utter disbelief that you are really doing this.

Yell "Warrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Eagle!" along with the band as they go through the pregame tune and sing along to the fight song with shaker in hand (conveniently placed next to your bed the night before.)

After the song ends (either because it ended, or your wife turned your clock radio into something resembling the ill fated copier in office space) enjoy the adrenaline rush that comes from realizing that it's Game Day!

Put on your best Orange shrit and blue jeans, or, orange pants and blue shirt (white shirts are acceptable with orange pants as well).

Make sure that anyone you are dragging from their beds at your chosen waking hour is up and getting ready for the day.

Run to the gas station for much needed supplies while they do this.

Supply List:

Beer

Food

Energy Drink (Alcoholic: see Sparks alcoholic energy drink)

Sunscreen (best believe you'll get the one-side-of-your-face tan if you don't)

Misc. tailgating supplies

Return to find everyone ready to go

Arrive at tailgating spot, set up in record time (because you made your kids practice for this all week).

Drink Alcoholic Energy Drink at a medium pace.

Chug beer.

More beer.

Food

More beer.

Go to Tiger Walk (last beer remaining in hand)

Enjoy the game you big alchy!

We have already walked where Arkansas is treading right now. Nothing wrong with upgrading expectations. Auburn is capable of meeting those expectations in every facet of the university's mission. If we don't expect to be better then we never will.

[ Projections are made by whom? Some of those same jokers that we're bitching about now because of their poll votes.

Exactly. We place way toooo much attention to what "people" say before the season even starts and then sometimes get our expectations raised to far.

Guest Tigrinum Major

That's friggin' hilarious! And it's probably happened to me with my wife a time or two, so you pulled me exactly into your thoughts with that analogy. Do you make these things up or is that a common analogy that I am not aware of?!? Great, War Galen! (in my best Jim Rome impression)

Please don't encourage him.

Esquire is over 60. How much sleep does he need?

Over sixty he only sleeps 3 hours a night but does not count the 11 hours of cat naps throughout the day thus making him always bitch about everyone else sleeping too much. (at least that is how my father does it)

Over sixty he only sleeps 3 hours a night but does not count the 11 hours of cat naps throughout the day thus making him always bitch about everyone else sleeping too much. (at least that is how my father does it)

the good part of an early game is you get to fall asleep watching football afterwards and wake up in time for the big night games on ESPN, and for the ensuing parties! So forget your require 8 hours of sleep the so called "experts" tell you to get!

Funny side note however... for the Florida game, I woke up at 4 am in order to get a good spot at GameDay. I was running on 2 hours of sleep. I got back to the fraternity house and made it maybe 10 minutes before I crashed in my friends bed and missed a whole 2 hours of tailgating. Definately need at least 4 if I'm gonna make it through the game. That combination of lack of sleep, alcohol, and sun really gets to ya.

He didn't so much "go" to law school unless you count trips to the mailbox for the correspondence courses.

It really was more of a Law "Center". You and I know it as the PoPo station.

I think he is a graduate of DeVry School of Law, but I could be mistaken.

Wasn't that his scaly, freckled, pasty self on the commercial.....Nevermind that was the guy who runs the trains.

Well actually, it was late one night and I was drinking heavily and flipping channels. On certain weekend nights, you can really make out those "Fuzzy channels". Anyway, I came across one of my favorite actresses, Sally Struthers, doing an info-mercial for this prestigious college. (By the way, I never thought meathead was right for her)

Looking for a career change and taken aback as I usually am by the striking beauty of the vixen, Struthers, I sat up and took notice. As she read off the list of high paying career choices, one caught my eye. First Assistant to a Roto-Rooter Technician (F.A.R.R.T.) I called immediately and having been overwhelmed by the bourbon and the beauty of Sally Struthers, I apparently gave the helpful customer service representative the wrong code. 10-14 business days later, I received materials for a course to study for an exciting career in the law. I said, "What the hell..." And the rest is history.

Well actually, it was late one night and I was drinking heavily and flipping channels. On certain weekend nights, you can really make out those "Fuzzy channels". Anyway, I came across one of my favorite actresses, Sally Struthers, doing an info-mercial for this prestigious college. (By the way, I never thought meathead was right for her)

Looking for a career change and taken aback as I usually am by the striking beauty of the vixen, Struthers, I sat up and took notice. As she read off the list of high paying career choices, one caught my eye. First Assistant to a Roto-Rooter Technician (F.A.R.R.T.) I called immediately and having been overwhelmed by the bourbon and the beauty of Sally Struthers, I apparently gave the helpful customer service representative the wrong code. 10-14 business days later, I received materials for a course to study for an exciting career in the law. I said, "What the hell..." And the rest is history.

Thus, He is my mentor.

Thus, He is my mentor.

Got through in 6 short weeks. And now the BIG BUCKS are rollin' in.

First asst Roto-Rooter Technician vs Attorney. They're very similar in that they get paid a lot of money to deal with an aspect of the human condition most of us wouldn't want to directly deal with. Yes, I can see how the mix-up occurred. :poke:

First asst Roto-Rooter Technician vs Attorney. They're very similar in that they get paid a lot of money to deal with an aspect of the human condition most of us wouldn't want to directly deal with. Yes, I can see how the mix-up occurred. :poke:

My point exactly.

I don't care who you are, that is just plain funny!!

Probably true, but funny just the same :poke:

Archived