UGA schedules OK St for 2007/2009...

Tiger1992

http://www.ajc.com/uga/content/sports/uga/...9ugaoklast.html

Oregon State pulls out of a contract with Georgia three months ago, and UGA has already managed to get a home and home signed with a BCS conference opponent beginning next year. I wonder if JJ spoke with them and couldn't work something out, or if he never spoke with them at all. Anyone with insight into that?

I know we're trying to get a 2007/2010 home and home, maybe that was an issue. Of course it's just speculation on my part, I have no idea about the inner workings of the AD department, but I do know that the longer the 2007 schedule remains incomplete, the more likely we are to end up with a 1-AA opponent next year as our last OOC game.

Good job Damon Evans.

Oregon State pulls out of a contract with Georgia three months ago, and UGA has already managed to get a home and home signed with a BCS conference opponent beginning next year. I wonder if JJ spoke with them and couldn't work something out, or if he never spoke with them at all. Anyone with insight into that?

I know we're trying to get a 2007/2010 home and home, maybe that was an issue. Of course it's just speculation on my part, I have no idea about the inner workings of the AD department, but I do know that the longer the 2007 schedule remains incomplete, the more likely we are to end up with a 1-AA opponent next year as our last OOC game.

Good job Damon Evans.

1) Jay Jacobs is only looking for a home and home with a big name school

2) as you know, even though we get less respect from the media than what we deserve, everyone is scared of us.

Good job Damon Evans.

1) Jay Jacobs is only looking for a home and home with a big name school

2) as you know, even though we get less respect from the media than what we deserve, everyone is scared of us.

your joking right/ OK State would be excellent.

Point # 2 I seriously doubt it, Louisville isn't

I don't buy that everyone is scared of us. We got beat by USC twice, Georgia Tech twice and Wisconsin all in the last three years. Can you imagine if we won half of those games how much respect we would have now? On top of that we would be coming off back to back 10 plus win seasons and likely a national championship game.

Alright alright, so I don't believe that everyone is afraid of us, I just like to imagine it. But I do wonder why other top schools won't add us to the schedule (mich, ND, etc...) As for Louisville, they didn't offer us a home and home, at least, it wasn't reported in that article. If you go back and re-read it, they never mention Louisville offering a game with Auburn or Auburn turning a game down.

I really don't know why we can't get better schools to play us. Although I think we should take a different approach to our OOC schedule.

Instead of playing obvious cupcake teams (UL monroe, ball state, etc...) we should play the cupcakes of the major BCS conferences (Cincinnati, Iowa State, Arizona, North Carolina, etc) and we should have at least 2 middle of the road, bcs conference teams every year (wash. state, Missouri, Boston College, etc) That way, no one can talk trash about our OOC schedule. All BCS conference scheduling? you can't argue with that!

I think some of the reason we have trouble scheduling big games is because people may have a perception that we may not live up to our end of the deal. The Florida St. buyout from a few years ago was a real sore spot with them and made us look very bad. Florida St. has alot of pull nationally and people remember those types of things. Also, with the recent jetgate incident with Lousiville, the SACS issue, constant Board of Trustees/faculty/athletic department bickeringm, and the NY Times mess, Auburn is likely having an image problem nationally. I don't believe alot of the criticism is warranted, but I am an Auburn alum. People on the outside who don't care about Auburn only know what they hear and read. Just a thought.

Alright alright, so I don't believe that everyone is afraid of us, I just like to imagine it. But I do wonder why other top schools won't add us to the schedule (mich, ND, etc...) As for Louisville, they didn't offer us a home and home, at least, it wasn't reported in that article. If you go back and re-read it, they never mention Louisville offering a game with Auburn or Auburn turning a game down.

I really don't know why we can't get better schools to play us. Although I think we should take a different approach to our OOC schedule.

Instead of playing obvious cupcake teams (UL monroe, ball state, etc...) we should play the cupcakes of the major BCS conferences (Cincinnati, Iowa State, Arizona, North Carolina, etc) and we should have at least 2 middle of the road, bcs conference teams every year (wash. state, Missouri, Boston College, etc) That way, no one can talk trash about our OOC schedule. All BCS conference scheduling? you can't argue with that!

don't we still have THE POWERHOUSE west virginia coming up in 2008-2009....for a home and home? don't forget about those games...

don't we still have THE POWERHOUSE west virginia coming up in 2008-2009....for a home and home? don't forget about those games...

That would only be a part of it. Imagine we had WVU, Boston College, Iowa State, and Arizona as our OOC schedule. Does that sound weak? I don't think so. Does it sound like we'd have to use our starting line in all of those? Nope!

I think some of the reason we have trouble scheduling big games is because people may have a perception that we may not live up to our end of the deal. The Florida St. buyout from a few years ago was a real sore spot with them and made us look very bad. Florida St. has alot of pull nationally and people remember those types of things.

Not buying it. The FSU thing was in 1999 or 2000 and we only backed out of one game and FSU backed out of the other if I am not mistaking. And FSU doesn't have any pull as to who plays who or their decision. That is just laughable. The media made a bigger deal out of it than it actually was. I wish we had played it but, really, that is acient history now.

Also, with the recent jetgate incident with Lousiville, the SACS issue, constant Board of Trustees/faculty/athletic department bickeringm, and the NY Times mess, Auburn is likely having an image problem nationally. I don't believe alot of the criticism is warranted, but I am an Auburn alum. People on the outside who don't care about Auburn only know what they hear and read. Just a thought.

What does Jetgate have to do with Michigan or someone else deciding to play us or not? What does SACS have to do with a D-I football game? Auburn isn't all of a sudden going to become a D-III team and hurt the SOS of another team. If you think Auburn is the only school with BOT/Faculty issues, you're being fooled. People outside the state of Alabama probably have no idea about those things at Auburn nor could they care any less. The NYT thing...played out long ago and didn't last nearly as long nationally as it did in Alabama. I realize this may be all others may hear, but I have a hard time believing any of it has any bearing on who wants to play us.

Just my $.02.

when you first saw this years OOC schedule what was your reaction? Besides Washington St. it was :puke:

or maybe like Faith Hill at the Country Music Awards.

Now imagine having Louisville, OK State, Southern Miss, Troy,or Clemson as an example.

Not bad

well, i'm not sold on jay jacobs, but I'd rather have him right now than Housel...

All these incidents may not directly influence a school when making scheduling decisions, but when things happen people don't forget. You say the FSU thing is ancient history, why did FSU say they would never schedule Auburn again after the incident? The NY Times thing was most certainly national news, it was on PTI, Around The Horn, Cold Pizza, Rome is Burning, and a few other shows. Many people on here said they wouldn't want to play Louisville for fear of us looking bad on t.v. because the media would bring it up a thousand times. Louisville has been looking to play an SEC school, but hasn't contacted Auburn and probably won't. SACS has nothing to do with a football game other than the fact that any kind of turmoil reflects poorly on Auburn University and athletics are part of that. Bobby Lowder is nationally known as a pain in the a** who is running Auburn in the ground. I don't believe Auburn is the only school with problems, but we always have our share of them. I believe our recent troubles MAY have some influence on decision makers of other schools.

I'm not sold on Jay Jacobs as AD...I don't think we should be having this much trouble scheduling OOC games...

I agree, but this happens everywhere. I hope he can get something done because I'm sick of seeing Louisanna-Monroe type teams in JHS. Maybe as the first game of the season to warm up, but otherwise it does not help us.

Vince Dooley never cared for playing big games out of the South and it showed during his time as HC and AD

Evans is making up for it.

We now are scheduled for games against and at Louisville, Clemson, Arizona State, OklaSt, @Colorado, Oregon, and Oregon State/Cincy backed out of games already with us

I think some of the reason we have trouble scheduling big games is because people may have a perception that we may not live up to our end of the deal. The Florida St. buyout from a few years ago was a real sore spot with them and made us look very bad. Florida St. has alot of pull nationally and people remember those types of things. Also, with the recent jetgate incident with Lousiville, the SACS issue, constant Board of Trustees/faculty/athletic department bickeringm, and the NY Times mess, Auburn is likely having an image problem nationally. I don't believe alot of the criticism is warranted, but I am an Auburn alum. People on the outside who don't care about Auburn only know what they hear and read. Just a thought.

:poke: Then we need to get a new dam* PR person, don't ya' think? :)

All these incidents may not directly influence a school when making scheduling decisions, but when things happen people don't forget. You say the FSU thing is ancient history, why did FSU say they would never schedule Auburn again after the incident? The NY Times thing was most certainly national news, it was on PTI, Around The Horn, Cold Pizza, Rome is Burning, and a few other shows. Many people on here said they wouldn't want to play Louisville for fear of us looking bad on t.v. because the media would bring it up a thousand times. Louisville has been looking to play an SEC school, but hasn't contacted Auburn and probably won't. SACS has nothing to do with a football game other than the fact that any kind of turmoil reflects poorly on Auburn University and athletics are part of that. Bobby Lowder is nationally known as a pain in the a** who is running Auburn in the ground. I don't believe Auburn is the only school with problems, but we always have our share of them. I believe our recent troubles MAY have some influence on decision makers of other schools.

Who cares what FSU says. I don't think anyone is taking cues from FSU and I definitely don't think that the 1999 "back out" is on any one's mind. I never said the NYT hatchet job wasn't national, I said it didn't last long nationally. All those talking heads covering it in a weeks time doesn't mean it is still hanging around. And, the NYT article isn't keeping teams from wanting to play us. As poorly as the SACS thing looks for our academics, it too has nothing to do with other schools decision to play us or not. Bobby Lowder running a muck doesn't make other schools question playing us. I still disagree with you on the last statement. I think none of the things listed have anything to do with other schools decisions. How do any of those things affect them? The one that comes the closest to having an impact would be the FSU thing and like I said I think that is water under the bridge for everyone but FSU. I think Auburn's record against top 10 and top 20 schools has way more to do with it than all those things combined and squared.

I guess you and I will just have to agree to disagree.

Slink man that is a rough sig I didnt expect it to end like that! Auburn has to start beefing up the non conference schedule I have read some great teams thrown out that would be a great game and look good on the schedule! NO more cupcake games

I don't necessarily disagree with you MDM4AU, I was just throwing some thoughts out there. Maybe they don't jive and I hope they don't for Auburn's sake. The jest of my argument is that people stereotype/label/perceive or whatever word you want things all the time and when that happens, it is almost impossible to shed that image right or wrong. For example, U of Miami has been labeled Thug U and some other names for over 20 years of on and off the field problems. Now Auburn is not even close to being a Thug U, but we could sometimes be labeled Disfunctional U. Who knows, maybe I am just being paanoid and I will stop now.

Archived