david irons

eagle abe

Is this guy living up to his hype?

I'm not casting stones, but I expected way more out of this guy.

Yeah I laughed my but off when he got burned today. Maybe he will shut his big mouth a little now but I doubt it because his type usually does'nt.

Yeah I laughed my but off when he got burned today. Maybe he will shut his big mouth a little now but I doubt it because his type usually does'nt.

Cant say I laughed. I enjoy the Iron brothers and the personality they bring to the team. None of them would ever hurt a fly or commit the things thugs at other schools do (guns, drugs, etc.) They were raised right. If anything, his personality raises his level of competition.

His type usually doesn't? So glad I wasn't the person next to you viewing this game. Who knows what was flowing out of your brain.

I think he does a decent job, there are times I think he plays back a little too much, not in true lockdown form like Carlos was known for. Honestly, not calling names, the cornerback on the other side is the weakest link. I can't tell you how many times he has grossly misjudged the ball and been waaaaaay out of position to defend the pass. I have seen two handfuls of plays that he should have made, but either slowed up or got turned around.

Yeah, that was sure some funny stuff. I still chuckle when I think about it... :rolleyes:

I never laugh when Auburn is getting beat down, couldnt find a bit of humor in the whole game! :puke:

Now the caveman Geico commercial now that is funny! but seeing my team lay and egg is never funny

david's a good corner. he's no carlos, but honestly, carlos might be the best player to ever suit up for us at that spot. he took away short, deep, in between. he was also great in run-support (a real strength for irons too).

next year should start next week on the other side. wilhite has been a warrior for us over the last two years. he stepped in and stepped up last year when we needed another corner. we needed him b/c pat lee wasn't ready. he just wasn't. he is now. lee is already a better corner than wilhite: just as much speed, better size, and he's learned to play in position. he should start next week, and he's going to be our number one next year i bet.

there are two guys i'm excited about that should see big time pt next year though: jerraud powers and walter mcfadden. powers has played pretty well this year. he makes freshman errors, but he's a physical corner. i like that guy. mcfadden is a guy i was excited about since he committed. he may not end up being any good at all, but he's got all the tools you ever want in a corner: good height, great speed, and he looks quick in the few times i've seen him. those three guys could turn out to be a great group for us.

next year is going to be fun. low expectations (especially with our schedule), really good talent, and a chance to watch guys mature over the course of the year. kinda like last season. take away the bowl and last year was a blast. i think next year is gonna be like that.

Didn't anyone notice that DI got hurt one one of the first defensive plays and was out for quite a bit of the first quarter. Also, when he was in, I think it was his left arm that he kind of just let hang limp at his side for the rest of the game. With a bum arm/shoulder, bump and run and even running is not up to par. Just an observation.

david's a good corner. he's no carlos, but honestly, carlos might be the best player to ever suit up for us at that spot. he took away short, deep, in between. he was also great in run-support (a real strength for irons too).

next year should start next week on the other side. wilhite has been a warrior for us over the last two years. he stepped in and stepped up last year when we needed another corner. we needed him b/c pat lee wasn't ready. he just wasn't. he is now. lee is already a better corner than wilhite: just as much speed, better size, and he's learned to play in position. he should start next week, and he's going to be our number one next year i bet.

there are two guys i'm excited about that should see big time pt next year though: jerraud powers and walter mcfadden. powers has played pretty well this year. he makes freshman errors, but he's a physical corner. i like that guy. mcfadden is a guy i was excited about since he committed. he may not end up being any good at all, but he's got all the tools you ever want in a corner: good height, great speed, and he looks quick in the few times i've seen him. those three guys could turn out to be a great group for us.

next year is going to be fun. low expectations (especially with our schedule), really good talent, and a chance to watch guys mature over the course of the year. kinda like last season. take away the bowl and last year was a blast. i think next year is gonna be like that.

I have to disagree on Wilhite. The guy has given up every big TD pass we have given up this year. He quits running about half way down the field and then realizes the play is still going and tries to recover. He gave up on that long TD pass today and when by the time he realized it was coming his way, he was too late. Also happened on that long pass to Monk in the Arky game and he ended up not in position to get the PI call people thought he should have gotten. I though he was the next Carlos after last year but I have been dissapointed this year.

jae gave us what he had. he's a step slow and not big enough to play bump like we ask our corners to do. he's a perfect nickel back that was asked to play cover corner. oh and the monk play was a total fluke. wilhite was in perfect position and either tipped the ball or slipped on his break (can't remember which)... unfortunate but he played it perfect.

and the arm injury is a thin excuse. carlos rogers played with a broken hand and intercepted a pass to finish off tennessee in 2003. if david's going to compare himself to the best, he should be measured by the same standard.

Didn't anyone notice that DI got hurt one one of the first defensive plays and was out for quite a bit of the first quarter. Also, when he was in, I think it was his left arm that he kind of just let hang limp at his side for the rest of the game. With a bum arm/shoulder, bump and run and even running is not up to par. Just an observation.

I noticed this as well. Any word on his health?

I like his play better than his mouth. I prefer talking after a game, not before it. Last week he was reported to say that he was gonna talk trash to UGA, the dog, on TV after he made an interception. I must have gone to the bathroom when that happened, because I didn't see it.

I'm old school, I guess. There's no room for trash talk in my world. Trash talk = unsportsmanlike conduct = 15 yds.

I have been around football long enough to know that trash talk is a part of it. David does a great job and is obviously a good player. However, I can't help but think that the team would be better off if he spent less time running his mouth and more time being a leader to a young secondary.

I like Aaron Savage. He is a savage. He comes up with a big hit every game.

If the coaches can just get him to play a little closer and make a tackle instead of always going for the big Sportscenter highlight hit, he should be a great one before he leaves.

I think I'm in line w/ the consensus: David Irons is a very good player. Definitely the best we have this year. Definitely not the best we have ever had. All corners give up big plays sometime, that is the nature of the position. I do wish he would tone down the trash a little bit, but I've never heard him say anything really offensive, so I think it is pretty harmless.

Our other corners are definitely not our strength. Not gonna criticize any of them b/c I believe that the vast majority of the time everyone in an Auburn jersey is out there giving everything they have, and if they are not getting the job done it is up to the coaching staff to find someone else who can.

Also TigerGlide makes a good point. If we were better up front, there would be less pressure on the secondary...

If the coaches can just get him to play a little closer and make a tackle instead of always going for the big Sportscenter highlight hit, he should be a great one before he leaves.

Ahhh. But when you come from the Carlos Cheatam and Greg Staples era, you love to see safeties that you know if somebody comes in their path, they WILL remember it the next time. Junior tried to be that guy, had some nice hits too. But Savage seems to be bigger and more physical. And he does a great safety blitz. I just can't wait till he's more comfortable with his timing.

Ahhh. But when you come from the Carlos Cheatam and Greg Staples era, you love to see safeties that you know if somebody comes in their path, they WILL remember it the next time. Junior tried to be that guy, had some nice hits too. But Savage seems to be bigger and more physical. And he does a great safety blitz. I just can't wait till he's more comfortable with his timing.

True, very true. I still remember the hit that Cheatam had on that UT running back. Word has it that the guy still has a headache.

Archived