Quarterbacks at AU

AuburnRugby17

Can anyone shed some light as to why Auburn tends to recruit quarterbacks that don't really have strong throwing arms? This is in no way a shot at Brandon at all. I sympathize with him greatly. It's amazing that he's made it to where he is given his condition. I was watching the Texas game Saturday night and was shocked to see how stacked they are at the QB position. Their second string qb, a true freshman, looked just as impressive as McCoy and they've got the nation's second ranked prospect coming in next year.

true, cox's arm strength isn't off the charts, but field has a cannon, booker could sling it and we all know jason campbell had an impressive arm. Also Kodi Burns is reported to be able to launch it 70+ yards.

I think we are in an unusual position as far as our QB depth. I remember a few years back, we had the most QBs in the SEC on scholly. We had Calvin Booker (who had a cannon) and Kelcy Luke leave the team. We have Neil Caudle and Steven Ensminger on a redshirt year. Supposedly, Caudle has the tools to play now, but they wanted to get him a redshirt if at all possible. Now, with the commitment of Kodi Burns, we should be pretty stacked at QB.

As far as QBs with arm strength, I think Brandon is the only one with less than a great arm. The reason he was so successful in high school is that is was unbelievably accurate. I believe he still is when he is feeling good and has time to throw.

Next year, however, Brandon will have to work to keep his starting job. I believe he will be the starter, but it will probably do him good to have someone breathing down his neck.

First I see a thread ciritcal of David Irons and now Cox. By name no less. Funny I didn't hear these criticisms last year and even not much this year until now. Who shall we jump on next?

First I see a thread ciritcal of David Irons and now Cox. By name no less. Funny I didn't hear these criticisms last year and even not much this year until now. Who shall we jump on next?

That damn John Higgenbotham. He was the towel guy, you know, the one that dries off the ball with his towel between plays. I blame him for the performance. I mean, who can throw a wet ball???

will herring!!! i can't believe that guy had the gall to not dominate every game after learning a new position! seriously, it's not that hard! you just play closer to the line and make tackles... i mean patrick willis can do. why can't you???

no seriously, i have a hard time seeing someone point as that brandon has a weak arm as critical. it's like hearing someone say "the sky is blue," and responding "why are you so critical of the sky???" he's got a weak arm, BUT he's also an all-sec caliber qb. ken dorsey had a weak arm. danny wonderful had a weak arm. josh huepel (sp?) had a weak arm. the list goes on and on. you MUST HAVE arm strength to succeed in the nfl; in college, it's just a plus. some of the best ever had the same "school girl-esque" arm brandon has.

the thing is he needs time and rhythm. those things were both missing (for whatever reason) last week. and it showed. as for the other qbs, i don't think any of them are known as gunslingers (not including the recruit), but they all have more than adequate arm strength and campbell had a big league arm.

Guest Tigrinum Major

will herring!!! i can't believe that guy had the gall to not dominate every game after learning a new position! seriously, it's not that hard! you just play closer to the line and make tackles... i mean patrick willis can do. why can't you???

no seriously, i have a hard time seeing someone point as that brandon has a weak arm as critical. it's like hearing someone say "the sky is blue," and responding "why are you so critical of the sky???" he's got a weak arm, BUT he's also an all-sec caliber qb. ken dorsey had a weak arm. danny wonderful had a weak arm. josh huepel (sp?) had a weak arm. the list goes on and on. you MUST HAVE arm strength to succeed in the nfl; in college, it's just a plus. some of the best ever had the same "school girl-esque" arm brandon has.

the thing is he needs time and rhythm. those things were both missing (for whatever reason) last week. and it showed. as for the other qbs, i don't think any of them are known as gunslingers (not including the recruit), but they all have more than adequate arm strength and campbell had a big league arm.

You are making way too much sense these days. Your posts are underappreciated and underrated.

Carry on.

I think Brandon is the only one with less than a great arm.

Less than great? Have you watched him play? You must mean less than average.

Let's see you battle myasthenia gravis and come out on top. Considering his illness, BC has a great arm. I fear what's going to happen to him as the years progress. It's a degenerative disease.

Let's see you battle myasthenia gravis and come out on top. Considering his illness, BC has a great arm. I fear what's going to happen to him as the years progress. It's a degenerative disease.

It's terrible that he has that condition, but Georgia wasn't considering his illness when they were trying to kill him on Saturday, and neither will Bama this weekend. The bottom line is that he just isn't getting the job done.

he needs time and rhythm. those things were both missing (for whatever reason) last week. and it showed.

yep yep. don't remember which interception it was, maybe the one battle ran back... but the throw was accurate and the receiver was open. the problem was that the receiver (rod smith i think) broke down on his curl route... turned around... and waited... and waited... and by the time the ball got there, the coverage caught up w/ it. for that route to work, the ball needs to be at least halfway to the receiver when he turns around, not still in the qb's hand.

and normally brandon is on top of that. which is one reason why he's a good qb.

You are making way too much sense these days. Your posts are underappreciated and underrated.

Carry on.

This man's posts have always been a must read. Insightful and very intelligent. In other words, I completely agree with you.

I agree, Will Herring has been a complete bust this year for us.

Everybody knows its the majorettes' fault. No boots, no win!!!

Brandon is not the best long ball tosser and when your legs are hurt, you lose some velocity. Therfore a good OC coaches around this issue.

That being said, I will preach my same sermon about the short crossing routes and throws to the RBs out of the backfield. Don't hit/attempt those, won't beat a good team.

THis says a whole lot about what Tubs thinks of BF.....BC was wearing more pads than a Tampax factory and can't throw off his left foot due to a hit .. 3 straight INTS later he is still in the game.... :thumbsdown:

I think we are in an unusual position as far as our QB depth. I remember a few years back, we had the most QBs in the SEC on scholly. We had Calvin Booker (who had a cannon) and Kelcy Luke leave the team. We have Neil Caudle and Steven Ensminger on a redshirt year. Supposedly, Caudle has the tools to play now, but they wanted to get him a redshirt if at all possible. Now, with the commitment of Kodi Burns, we should be pretty stacked at QB.

As far as QBs with arm strength, I think Brandon is the only one with less than a great arm. The reason he was so successful in high school is that is was unbelievably accurate. I believe he still is when he is feeling good and has time to throw.

Next year, however, Brandon will have to work to keep his starting job. I believe he will be the starter, but it will probably do him good to have someone breathing down his neck.

We may be "stacked" but, generally speaking, we have a history of playing favorites and not always playing the most talented

How can anybody not say that Brandon Cox is a good quarterback? Hey, everybody has off days. And I think we all remember how good he was last year when he had some protection. When you are quarterback, your arm is not the whole package. Or whether you can run, whatever. Intelligence, being able to read formations, being able to see how the play develops and changing it if necessary, now that's the thing. And he has shown that he can do that.

Can anyone shed some light as to why Auburn tends to recruit quarterbacks that don't really have strong throwing arms? This is in no way a shot at Brandon at all. I sympathize with him greatly. It's amazing that he's made it to where he is given his condition. I was watching the Texas game Saturday night and was shocked to see how stacked they are at the QB position. Their second string qb, a true freshman, looked just as impressive as McCoy and they've got the nation's second ranked prospect coming in next year.

Stan White, Pat Sullivan and D. Craig all had great arms...even Daniel Cobb had a very good arm...and Jason Campbell, the qb who just went to the nfl had a cannon. So I don't really know what your talking about. Kodi Burns can supposedly throw the ball 74 yards...with accuracy. Now THAT's an arm.

:au::homer:

Archived