The Circus has begun

aumd03

All that is transpiring since the $aban hire is cracking me up. I just finished discussing it with my grandfather, who is an alabama grad and he agreed with the absurdity of it.

First, It begins with the lies. And then he arrives to crowds at the airport. Not because he's won anything, simply because he said yes. The drunk woman kissing him. Its all just classic.

I've heard him being called St. Nick, the savior, the new bear, the King of Alabama football.

I've heard all the fans talk about how great his wife is.

Finebaum is giddy and is talking about Don Shula being a senile old man.

The Alabama nation has turned on Don for his comments about needing to evaluate the evaluators and that $aban left the Miami Dolphins worse than he found them.

People are shouting Bama is back before a single game is played.

The Alabama fans turn a blind eye to the fact that Mal Moore is a buffoon simply because of one good move in which he outbid everyone else. If you give me a blank check I can lure people to Alabama as well.

Don't you see it Alabama, this man is only there because you are paying him so much. And don't think he won't dart for another job if he gets the offer.

They listen to a man talk about character and finishing the job that lied and left half way through.

Its a lose lose situation for Alabama in my opinion. If he develops it into a winning program, he'll bolt for whomever can pay him more, probably an NFL job. If he doesn't, you've got yourself a losing or mediocre program. I think Alabama might benefit from teh fact that NFL teams would be hesitant to hire him.

I applaud Alabama for a great hire. They will be better than they were in the last few years, but I get the impression they think they are going to play for a national championship every year. They are years behind Louisville at this point. I am not scared. I care about football, but I don't care about it enough to be scared of any football coach at an opposing school. I am more proud that we run a clean program, we are graduating a large number of our athletes, are developing quality young men of strong Christian character, than I am of a 14-0 season. Just let the Circus begin. I'm sure it'll be a laugh a minute. Not at the football team or the program, but the ignorant misguided fans that will continue to spout their doctrine of football supremacy entitlement.

I think you are wrong on a couple of points.

First, I don't think $aban is there just because of money. He is there because he can be successful at the college game, and he could not be successful at the NFL game. It's just a different world. That's not a knock on his abilities. Just some people are cut out for certain things in life, and I think he is a great college coach, and not a great NFL coach.

Second, the mistake the Alabama nation is making is thinking that because they hired a great coach this means that they are back at the top echelon of college football, which they absolutely ARE NOT. Ole Miss fans would be going crazy right now too if they hired $aban. And deservedly so. However, would $aban bring an SEC championship or a national championship to Ole Miss?

No way. Alabama has a loooooong way to go. The overnight success they are interpreting this to be will not come. It is going to be a long couple of years for $aban and for the Alabama nation. That is where they are missing the boat. They do not see it this way.

First, I don't think $aban is there just because of money. He is there because he can be successful at the college game, and he could not be successful at the NFL game. It's just a different world. That's not a knock on his abilities. Just some people are cut out for certain things in life, and I think he is a great college coach, and not a great NFL coach.

Second, the mistake the Alabama nation is making is thinking that because they hired a great coach this means that they are back at the top echelon of college football, which they absolutely ARE NOT. Ole Miss fans would be going crazy right now too if they hired $aban. And deservedly so. However, would $aban bring an SEC championship or a national championship to Ole Miss?

No way. Alabama has a loooooong way to go. The overnight success they are interpreting this to be will not come. It is going to be a long couple of years for $aban and for the Alabama nation. That is where they are missing the boat. They do not see it this way.

You pin pointed it exactly.

No kidding, I just browsed the bama site and they believe they are predicting big things for years to come. Really big things! Well, I now fill like Auburn and LSU's rivalry the last 6 years have changed. It looks like NS and UAT will be a big rivalry for both of us now. I'm guessing it still depends on our game most years that decides who will represent the west

Don't you see it Alabama, this man is only there because you are paying him so much.

I mean, that could be said for a lot of coaches though.....

Don't you see it Alabama, this man is only there because you are paying him so much.

I mean, that could be said for a lot of coaches though.....

Although $aban is going to be the highest paid coach in college football....It was NOT more than he was making @ Miami...

well said. and i also disagree with the fans who believe we are automatically at the top echelon just for hiring him. while him being our HC may have put us at the beginning of the road, it will be YEARS before we can claim anything. we're not "back" as some fans are proclaiming, but you can't deny that we certainly have alot better chance of getting there.

as a side not, i've been seeing the dolphins PC over and over again on ESPN. WH imo is one of the classiest people i have ever seen. with CNS telling him "i'll stay if you want me to" he tells him to go do what he loves. he showed the utmost class at the PC announcing that CNS was gone. props to him.

well said. and i also disagree with the fans who believe we are automatically at the top echelon just for hiring him. while him being our HC may have put us at the beginning of the road, it will be YEARS before we can claim anything. we're not "back" as some fans are proclaiming, but you can't deny that we certainly have alot better chance of getting there.

I agree, but you guys also must realize that this is a blessing AND a curse. There can be no more excuses now. It's not gonna get much better than $aban. If things do not turn around at some point, there can't be any probation excuses and all these other things. It's time for Alabama to face the music.

I agree, but you guys also must realize that this is a blessing AND a curse. There can be no more excuses now. It's not gonna get much better than $aban. If things do not turn around at some point, there can't be any probation excuses and all these other things. It's time for Alabama to face the music.

i don't agree with the probation excuse either. i didn't even know until i saw it in the paper that the last of the probation ends Feb 1st this year to be honest. i just hope CNS turns things around like he has at every college program he has coached.

i don't agree with the probation excuse either. i didn't even know until i saw it in the paper that the last of the probation ends Feb 1st this year to be honest. i just hope CNS turns things around like he has at every college program he has coached.

Oh....he will turn it around.....and jet out of town afterwards......

His past is way to easy to read! He's done it everywhere he has been. Miami was more than he could chew because of his micro-managing style and inexperience.

Several things. Extreme Bama homer Mark Edwards for the NYT-Decatur says openly the that $aban is likely gone in a few years. That is the gig. $aban will be jkust like Fran, if he sees that he cannot measure uptoi fans expectations, he will scurry off in the night as soon as it becomes obvious.

http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/s...s/070104a.shtml

Tide hire hits gold, even if stay is short

Alabama chews up head football coaches the way most dogs chew up shoes.

Whether it's the "Alabama mafia" that insecure and paranoid former Tide football coach Bill Curry blames or an overly passionate fan base, the job wears down the men who hold it.

For example, it's hard to imagine the newest Crimson Tide head coach, Nick $aban, lasting more than five years having to do the weekly "Hey Coach" radio call-in show.

With his no-nonsense, work-focused personality, five years of having to do all the fake laughs and smoozing that the show requires probably will give $aban a permanent eye-twitch.

Only one Alabama football coach since Bear Bryant retired in 1982 has lasted more than four seasons — Gene Stallings coached Alabama for seven during 1990-96. When so many other major programs across the country are experiencing something similar, why should Alabama be immune?

Considering that $aban has had four head coaching jobs and left them all after five or fewer seasons, I'm sure there's a great joke in there somewhere about a perfect match — and Auburn fans probably will be telling it over and over within days.

But even if $aban lasts only four or five years, is that really so bad for Alabama?

In the current college football climate, coaches don't stay nearly as long as they used to. Bryant lasted at Alabama for 25 years, and that's longer than any young coach can imagine these days.

But during his era, he lasted at Alabama only a little longer than most of his contemporaries lasted at their schools.

So Alabama should jump for joy if $aban can give the Crimson Tide what he gave LSU during his five years there — 48 wins, two Southeastern Conference championships, one national title and a ton of leftover talent and championship attitude for the next coach to inherit.

Maybe Alabama athletics director Mal Moore knew this when he targeted $aban to succeed Mike Shula.

When Moore searched for somebody young enough to give Alabama hope for stability and a long tenure, he got Dennis Franchione, who bolted after two years. He also got Mike Shula, who coached four mediocre years and gave little hope for anything better in the future. That lack of hope cost him his job — not just the four losses to Auburn.

So if $aban can win games and championships and recreate a winning attitude at Alabama, let him leave after five years if he wants. Thank him graciously for his contribution and welcome him whenever he wants to return to campus. Treat him like an elder statesman of the program.

Heck, if he wins a national championship, put a statue of him in that rotunda in front of Bryant-Denny Stadium, even if it's Auburn that lures him away.

Although considering that he's 55, it's likely that Alabama is his last stop. When he leaves the Crimson Tide, he probably will head to the family lake house in Georgia and never coach again.

But maybe $aban will last more than five years. After all, look at the subtle shift at major programs recently. Coaches are staying longer.

Pete Carroll wrapped up his sixth year at Southern California and doesn't seem ready to leave. Ohio State's Jim Tressell has stayed in place for six years with no sign of leaving soon.

Tommy Tuberville has completed eight years at Auburn. Bob Stoops has lasted eight years at Oklahoma. Mack Brown has spent nine at Texas. Michigan has had Lloyd Carr for 12 years. Phil Fulmer has coached Tennessee for 15 years. Heck, even Houston Nutt has made it nine years at Arkansas.

Maybe the pendulum has started swinging the other way.

But even if it hasn't, Alabama likely struck gold with $aban, no matter how long he stays.

I think both you and aumd are correct to a degree. I think UA was a blind hog who found an acorn (or at least had 32 million to buy one). I think $aban looked at his situation at Miami, things were not good and he was not going to be able to fix them over the rest of his contract. If he stayed there much longer it would probably kill his reputation to a point where he would have a hard time finding a job. Enter Santa Claus (Mal Moore) and his sackful of money. $aban and Sexton's dream come true was Bama on their hands and knees NEEDING a sexy coach to put some sizzle back in their program. They toyed with Moore until they wrung every possible concession possible from him. I'm surprised they aren't naming the stadium after him.

Don't think for a second that Bama is $aban's dream job. Monetarily, it was just a dream situation. They found a desperate program that they could suck the blood out of. $aban has to know about the meddling boosters and the delusional fans (or he found out when he got off the plane). As far as personality goes, $aban and Bama could not be a worse fit. But they paid for him so they have to shut up and take it.

I have to chuckle every time a bammer brings up that he took a pay cut to come, as if that is supposed to prove his immediate loyalty to Bama. Which would you choose, (not that either is a bad choice) $5 mil per for three years and permanent damage to your reputation or $4mil per for eight with no buyout and an opportunity to repair your reputation.

I think if $aban has immediate, high success at Bama....he goes back to the NFL

Say all you want about how nobody will want him in the NFL....if $aban is very successful at Bama....SOMEBODY will want him

I think if $aban has immediate, high success at Bama....he goes back to the NFL

Say all you want about how nobody will want him in the NFL....if $aban is very successful at Bama....SOMEBODY will want him

Nah. He's done in the NFL. I think he got a taste and it didn't fit him.

$aban has an ego the size of Texas...if you think he doesn't want to shove any negative press about him up the ass of every media outlet that bashes him....you dont know the man well

If he wins a NC at Bama in the next few years and a pro team approaches him, he will return again, imo.

Sorry, this guy ain't winning a NC at Bama. And as long as Hall of Famer, Don Shula is alive, $aban ain't going back to the NFL either. He's either going to be a success at the Crapstone or he's through. The smoke is still rising from the bridges he's burned.

Oh...and the negative press about him is right on. He can shove it up his own arse.

Archived