Ass't Coach News

Proud Tiger

Baton Rouge radio is reporting that LSU strength and conditioning caoch Tommy Moffett has turned down an offer from $aban to join the new bama staff.

There is also an interesting wrinkle developing with Jimbo Fisher, rumored to be the new OC at bama. The Atlanta Constitution is reporting that Miami wants to interview GT HC Chan Gailey for the Dolphins job. if so Fisher will be a prime candidate fot the GT job.

Baton Rouge radio is reporting that LSU strength and conditioning caoch Tommy Moffett has turned down an offer from $aban to join the new bama staff.

There is also an interesting wrinkle developing with Jimbo Fisher, rumored to be the new OC at bama. The Atlanta Constitution is reporting that Miami wants to interview GT HC Chan Gailey for the Dolphins job. if so Fisher will be a prime candidate fot the GT job.

wow that would be a big move for Jimbo and Chan

If fisher goes to uat that would be a sign that he is sabans boy to me. It's not even a lateral move for the moment when you look at talent levels. If he really wants to be a hc it sure seems like he could display his talents more effectively at LSU or another talent loaded shool.

If fisher goes to uat that would be a sign that he is sabans boy to me. It's not even a lateral move for the moment when you look at talent levels. If he really wants to be a hc it sure seems like he could display his talents more effectively at LSU or another talent loaded shool.

Maybe he thinks if he takes the OC job, that UAT would let him be the coach at UAB after that. :roflol:

Dear God, please no....STAY AWAY FROM GAILEY, Dolphin admins

Fisher is going to be a solid coach at Tech and imo could end up winning 9-10 games consistently.

it fisher goes it will be a serious sign of meddling by the UAT BOT. Especially if they pay him more than 300K. SACS would be all over that.

it fisher goes it will be a serious sign of meddling by the UAT BOT. Especially if they pay him more than 300K. SACS would be all over that.

I think SOMEONE should be all over this already. This is reading like 60 Minutes stuff to me.

Okay, I was unaware of that.

AN R. RAPOPORT

News staff writer

TUSCALOOSA - New Alabama football coach Nick Saban has offered Miami Dolphins quarterbacks coach Jason Garrett a job as the Crimson Tide's offensive coordinator, a source with knowledge of the process said Wednesday.

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/in....xml&coll=2

Garrett, a Princeton graduate, is a 40-year-old former NFL quarterback who has been an NFL assistant for two seasons. He has never been a coordinator.

Also, former Houston Texans coaches Joe Pendry and Steve Marshall have joined the UA staff, a source said.

Pendry has been a coordinator for three NFL teams, but his position at UA was not clear. He could be offensive co-coordinator with Garrett, or he could coach quarterbacks. Marshall, a former offensive coordinator at Texas A&M and North Carolina, will coach the offensive line.

Both Pendry and Marshall - close friends who were out of football this year - have yet to be announced by the school.

Saban has also offered the job of tight ends/special teams coach to former Auburn star Ron Middleton, a source said. The current Tampa Bay assistant is an Atmore native who played 10 years in the NFL.

The school has officially announced only three assistants: Kevin Steele, Kirby Smart, and Lance Thompson. None of their positions was identified, but Steele is believed to be the defensive coordinator, Smart will coach defensive backs, and Thompson's position was unclear.

Saban has hired Todd Alles, a former program assistant for Ohio State, as the director of football operations. That is the job formerly held by 17-year veteran Randy Ross, though a team could have several off-the-field positions. The NCAA maximum for on-field positions is nine.

Two Miami Dolphins coaches who received job offers from Saban - running backs coach Bobby Williams and outside linebackers coach Travis Jones - have turned Saban down, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported Wednesday.

But the hiring of an offensive coordinator is considered the most crucial. One candidate previously contacted by Saban, Rice offensive coordinator Major Applewhite, has received interest from LSU.

Garrett, the son of former Princeton and Columbia football coach Jim Garrett, saw action in eight NFL seasons. He played seven seasons for the Cowboys and one for the New York Giants. He has been a full-time assistant for two seasons.

Garrett may be a candidate for the Cleveland Browns' offensive coordinator position, though the Dolphins have yet to grant the Browns permission to interview him. Alabama, as a college team, did not need such permission.

If Garrett accepts the job, he could share coordinator duties with Pendry. A West Virginia native like Saban, Pendry also coached for two of Saban's mentors - George Perles and Frank Cignetti.

Saban met his team for the first time Wednesday. Neither Saban nor his players were available for comment following the meeting.

Did you guys see where Stacey Searls has joined CMR as his o-line coach? SouthLink, I know your excited.

Looks like he didn't want to crawl over glass either.

Did you guys see where Stacey Searls has joined CMR as his o-line coach? SouthLink, I know your excited.

Excited? Excited?

That isn't even remotely the right word....I am doing summersaults still

He will be 5x the recruiter Calloway was and probably 2x the coach. Now, I don't mean to bash Neil C too much because he did do a solid job but its pretty well known that recruiting wise he was getting soft as of late and many times our OL just under-performed terribly.

Excited? Excited?

He will be 5x the recruiter Calloway was and probably 2x the coach. Now, I don't mean to bash Neil C too much because he did do a solid job but its pretty well known that recruiting wise he was getting soft as of late and many times our OL just under-performed terribly.

Has anyone posted this? I apologize if so.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2729631

Excited? Excited?

Has anyone posted this? I apologize if so.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2729631

Yep, Slick Nick is getting folks from the Dolphins, Texans and Bucaneers........three real winning programs :lol:

CNN Sports reported that Slick Nick has been turned down again for the OC job, this time by Jeff Brohm. Brohm said he was offered the job but declined. Of course Slick Nick and BamaGumps 1925-2006 will say he was never offered.

CNN Sports reported that Slick Nick has been turned down again for the OC job, this time by Jeff Brohm. Brohm said he was offered the job but declined. Of course Slick Nick and BamaGumps 1925-2006 will say he was never offered.

Come on, PT, here you are once AGAIn mischaracterizing UAT and Saban. Brohm was not offered....he was "interviewed". I'll make it easy for you...an "interview" in Bammer parlance is where I say, "Will you come coach for us? We'll pay you $XXX." You say,"Not no, but HAAYYLLL no!" That, my friend, is an "interview". An offer is where I say, "Dude, you're about to get fired. Wanna come work for us for a year?"; to which you you reply, "Okay, I guess it beats immediate unemployment, and maybe there will be a miracle." That, Slick, is an "offer". :big:

A couple of interesting comments from Scarbinsky re Saban's pursuit of assistants:

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/ks....xml&coll=2

So far, Saban has yet to release job descriptions or titles for any of the nine men he's added to his Alabama staff. He's been as hush-hush about hiring as he was about getting hired.

He did say Thursday that he had not offered the offensive coordinator's job to anyone up to that point. Did anyone who was there check to see if his pants were on fire? :lol:

and:

One message to take from the staff Saban's assembled: He really is hard to work for. More than one former assistant turned down a chance to rejoin him.

Come on, PT, here you are once AGAIn mischaracterizing UAT and Saban. Brohm was not offered....he was "interviewed". I'll make it easy for you...an "interview" in Bammer parlance is where I say, "Will you come coach for us? We'll pay you $XXX." You say,"Not no, but HAAYYLLL no!" That, my friend, is an "interview". An offer is where I say, "Dude, you're about to get fired. Wanna come work for us for a year?"; to which you you reply, "Okay, I guess it beats immediate unemployment, and maybe there will be a miracle." That, Slick, is an "offer". :big:

You 'splained it better than I could. :P

There is an AP article out of Louisville in todays's Huntsville Times headlined "Brohm turns Bama Down" for the OC job. If the Huntsville Bammer Rag says he turned bama down man it must be fact.

Brohm is quoted as saying he was offered the bama job and had to sit down and decide whether he wanted to go to bama or stay at Louisville. He decided on Louisville. Now in this case surely Brohm is lying because no one would turn down a job at bama under Slick Nick. I mean don't people crawl in on their knees begging to coach at the mecca of FB? Now BG or some bammer will reply that Brohm stayed because he wanted to coach his brother but.......he has already done that and his brother may go pro.

There is an AP article out of Louisville in todays's Huntsville Times headlined "Brohm turns Bama Down" for the OC job. If the Huntsville Bammer Rag says he turned bama down man it must be fact.

Brohm is quoted as saying he was offered the bama job and had to sit down and decide whether he wanted to go to bama or stay at Louisville. He decided on Louisville. Now in this case surely Brohm is lying because no one would turn down a job at bama under Slick Nick. I mean don't people crawl in on their knees begging to coach at the mecca of FB? Now BG or some bammer will reply that Brohm stayed because he wanted to coach his brother but.......he has already done that and his brother may go pro.

...in broken glass....don't forget the broken glass!

...in broken glass....don't forget the broken glass!

Dang, how did I leave that out? :big:

Does anyone know if Applewhite turned down Bama or how did that all go down?

Here you go:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/birmingh....xml&coll=2

Former University of Texas quarterback Major Applewhite, Rice's offensive coordinator this past season, is joining Nick Saban's coaching staff at Alabama.

Saban announced the hiring Saturday. While his duties have not yet been determined, he is expected to coach quarterbacks and could share play calling duties with recently hired Joe Pendry, whose resume includes a stint as coordinator for the NFL's Houston Texans.

The 28-year-old Applewhite helped lead the Owls (7-6) to several school offensive records last season, a six-game winning streak and the program's first bowl berth since 1961.

Applewhite has been on Saban's radar for at least a week, but it was unknown what his position would be in Tuscaloosa. He grew up an Alabama fan in Baton Rouge and was named after former Crimson Tide running back Major Ogilvie.

As a high school senior he was recruited briefly by Alabama but was not offered a scholarship. He went to Texas instead, where he started for most of his four seasons.

Jimbo Fisher, Saban's former play caller at LSU, was offered the position but accepted a post at Florida State instead. The News reported that Miami Dolphins quarterback coach Jason Garrett, a Princeton graduate, turned Alabama down Friday. Saban also was interested in Jeff Brohm, the quarterbacks coach at Louisville under former Cardinals head man Bobby Petrino.

Brohm confirmed Saturday that he would remain at Louisville.

New Cardinals coach Steve Kragthorpe promoted Brohm to assistant head coach in charge of the passing game.

Brohm's younger brother, Brian, is the incumbent quarterback at Louisville.

Jeff Brohm also played quarterback at Louisville, thus the bonds made it hard for him to leave.

"In all reality it basically came down to a simple question I asked myself, and that was, `Do I want to help the University of Alabama win a national championship or do I want to help the University of Louisville win a national championship?'" Brohm told the Louisville Courier-Journal.

"I felt the answer was easy, and I chose Louisville."

Saban's staff so far includes Kevin Steele, Lance Thompson and Kirby Smart on defense and Pendry, Steve Marshall, Todd Alles and Ron Middleton on offense.

Defensive coaches are expected to include Steele, Thompson and Smart, while Marshall, Middleton, Pendry and Applewhite are expected to be assigned offensive duties.

Saban has hired two other staffers, Todd Alles and Bo Davis. They are expected to work off the field

Archived