Do recruiting rankings matter?

SouthLink02

Does recruiting matter? You be the judge

Here is the 5 year ranking compared with the 5 year rivals recruiting ranking (all BCS teams are included) that someone else compiled:

Overall Winning %

(#1 gets 25 points while #25 gets 1 point)

1. USC 59-6

2. Texas 55-9

3. OSU 55-9

4. OU 55-12

5. UGA 53-13

6. LSU 52-13

7. AU 50-14

8. UL 48-15

9. Miami 48-15

10. Michigan 47-16

11. WV 47-16

12. VT 49-17

13. BC 45-18

14. Wisconsin 46-19

15. UF 45-19

16. Iowa 44-19

17. Cal 43-20

18. UTenn 42-21

19. FSU 43-22

20. Maryland 40-22

21. ND 40-22

22. Clemson 38-24

23. NU 39-25

24. KSU 38-25 / Minn 38-25 / Oregon St 38-25

Average ranking of Coaches and AP poll

(#1 gets 25 points while #25 gets 1 point)

(unranked teams got a 26 even if they had no votes so this could skew a few teams up higher who were not ranked a season or 2.)

1. USC 2.5

2. OSU 6.1

3. LSU 6.7

4. Texas 7.3

5. OU 8.8

6. UGA 10.1

7. Miami 12.3

8. Michigan 12.6

9. AU 13.1

10. Iowa 15.2

11. VT 15.5

12. UL 16.9

13. WV 18

14. UF 18

15. FSU 19.2 / Wisconsin 19.2

17. ND 19.4

18. KSU 19.6

19. Cal 20

20. UTenn 21.1

21. Maryland 21.9

22. BC 22.1

23. NU 24.1

24. Clemson 24.2

25. Minn 24.5

Conf Title (5 points for each BCS conference title; Non-BCS and Co-titles are rewarded with a ½ title)

5: USC

3: FSU, OU

2.5: OSU

2: UGA, WV (1 outright, 2 Co’s)

1.5: Michigan, Miami, UL (Conf USA/Big East),

1: Texas, LSU, AU, KSU, VT, UF, Iowa (2 Co’s)

.5: Cal, BC

Totals before National Titles

1. USC 75

2. OU 58

3. OSU 57.5

4. Texas 51

5. UGA 51

6. Miami 43.5

7. LSU 48

8. Michigan 41.5

9. AU 41

10. UL 39.5

11. WV 38

12. VT 34

13. FSU 32

14. Iowa 31

15. UF 28

16. Wisconsin 23

17. BC 19.5

18. Cal 18.5

19. KSU 15

20. ND / UT 14

21. Maryland 11

22. Neb 6

23. Minn 3

24. Oregon State 2

National Titles (15 points per undefeated National Title, 10 for one loss National Title, 1/2 for split, 5 points for undefeated non-national title teams)

USC 15+7.5

OSU 15

Texas 15

UF 10

LSU 5

AU 5

Recruiting rankings:

1. Southern Cal - 3.78

2. Florida State - 3.74

3. Texas - 3.66

4. Oklahoma - 3.65

5. Michigan - 3.61

6. Miami - 3.58

7. Georgia - 3.56

8. LSU - 3.56

9. Florida - 3.53

10. Ohio State - 3.47

11. Tennesse - 3.44

12. Penn State - 3.26

13. Notre Dame - 3.25

14. Auburn - 3.16

15. Alabama - 3.16

16. Nebraska - 3.13

17. Texas A&M - 3.11

18. UCLA - 3.11

19. Viginia Tech - 3.09

20. Virginia - 3.04

21. Maryland - 3.03

22. Cal - 3.02

23. South Carolina - 3.01

24. Boston College - 2.98

25. Clemson - 2.94

26. Ole Miss - 2.93

27. Washington - 2.92

28. Arizona State - 2.91

29. Arkansas - 2.89

30. Arizona - 2.88

31. Kansas State - 2.87

32. Michigan State - 2.85

33. Missouri - 2.83

34. Colorado - 2.82

35. Oklahoma State - 2.82

36. Oregon - 2.81

37. NCSU - 2.81

38. Iowa - 2.78

39. North Carolina - 2.76

40. Stanford - 2.74

41. Mississippi State - 2.69

42. Illinois - 2.65

43. Texas Tech - 2.65

44. Purdue - 2.65

45. Pittsburg - 2.65

46. Wisconsin - 2.64

47. Oregon State - 2.63

48. Kansas - 2.59

49. Washington State - 2.58

50. Georgia Tech - 2.57

51. Iowa State - 2.54

52. Louisville - 2.48

53. Rutgers - 2.48

54. West Virginia - 2.47

55. Minnesota - 2.44

56. Syracuse - 2.41

57. Kentucky - 2.36

58. Duke - 2.31

59. Northwestern - 2.30

60. South Florida - 2.30

61. Wake Forest - 2.29

62. Baylor - 2.22

63. Indiana - 2.21

64. Vandy - 2.17

65. Connecticut - 2.06

66. Cincinnatti - 2.02

Totals after National Titles with the recruiting comparison

1. USC 95 / even

2. OSU 72.5 / +8

3. Texas 66 / even

4. OU 58 / even

5. LSU 53 / +3

6. UGA 51 / -1

7. AU 46 / +7

8. Miami 43.5 / -2

9. Michigan 41.5 / -4

10. UL 39.5 / +42

11. UF 38 / -2 / WV 38 / +43

13. VT 34 / +6

14. FSU 32 / -12

15. Iowa 31 / +23

16. Wisconsin 23 / +30

17. BC 19.5 / +7

18. Cal 18.5 / +4

19. KSU 15 / +12

20. ND 14 / -7 / UT 14 / -9

22. Maryland 11 / -1

23. Neb 6 / -7

24. Minn 3 / +31

25. OrSU / +22

The top ten sure is similar on the field and on rivals recruiting rankings. Dont yall think? - UGASports

I think its important to have a highly ranked recruiting class because that means that you are getting some good players.....there are some people that dont work out and some sleepers but for the most part these services like Rivals and Scout are pretty good on there ratings

I personally don't think rankings matter - yeah, it's important to get good talent, but as bammer and Miami and FSU and others have shown over the past few years, it's not the talent you have as much as it is what you DO with that talent - how you use it, how you coach it, how you develop it. Take a recruiting class named #1 and let me coach it and watch how fast it evaporates. Let CTT coach it and watch out... Sometimes thebest players are the ones that have heart and a work ethic and character, not some 5-star stud who thinks his excrement does not contain odor.

All rankings do is measure POTENTIAL. The end result is MUCH more important.

I personally don't think rankings matter - yeah, it's important to get good talent, but as bammer and Miami and FSU and others have shown over the past few years, it's not the talent you have as much as it is what you DO with that talent - how you use it, how you coach it, how you develop it. Take a recruiting class named #1 and let me coach it and watch how fast it evaporates. Let CTT coach it and watch out... Sometimes thebest players are the ones that have heart and a work ethic and character, not some 5-star stud who thinks his excrement does not contain odor.

Correctamundo!!!

:au::homer:

I agree with you Jenny but I will say this. You can not coach size, speed OR athletic ability. Believe me, if you could, I would have played football for Auburn. I will also say this, you can put Bill Belichek at Vanderbilt and they are never going to win a national championship. At the end, it is all about execution and having good players on the field.

bp, what is your problem. That has nothing to do with the topic. It is just to try to pump up you ego? b/c some HS kid is already brainwashed and uninformed about those mythical titles your people claim.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, what does that have to do with this discussion? Come back when the guy wins you a game. You don't even have a commitment yet. I guess this VISIT represents another moral victory for you guys.

By the way, you got your little chicken a** called out on a bet on another thread. So far, you haven't had the guts to stand behind all this smack you like to talk. Are you going to take it or just remain a pitiful little weasel?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, what does that have to do with this discussion? Come back when the guy wins you a game. You don't even have a commitment yet. I guess this VISIT represents another moral victory for you guys.

By the way, you got your little chicken a** called out on a bet on another thread. So far, you haven't had the guts to stand behind all this smack you like to talk. Are you going to take it or just remain a pitiful little weasel?

I'll take the bet of remain a pitiful little weasel. Don't worry, the wal mart special computer he is on with the 3 free months of AOL will be running out soon. When he has to make the decision between Natural Light and AOL, I think he fades into the sunset as far as we're concerned.

Back on topic, I think the points discussed on this thread are very valid. You have to have talent, but not necessarily the best talent. That is where the coaching comes in. If your coach is good and your classes are consistently in the top 20, that is a very good sign. Recruiting also doesn't have a thing to do with the lucky bounces, injuries, etc. that control how your season goes.

While I think that what you say is true, I still think it is important to have a good ranking in that, it in itself, is a help for recruiting. What I mean is that people tend to gravitate towards success. If you have a kid who is trying to decide between say :ua: (just as an example) and :au: Auburn and he sees that Auburn is a top ten team in recruiting he might be more willing to go with the higher ranked team because he knows that these are the guys he will be spending the next four years playing with.

I agree with that, it has alot to do with coaching. If your team does not have a very good coach, it doesnt matter what class you get. Many times those rating things are wrong. For example, if I remember right DeMeco Ryans was a three star, he turned out pretty good.

I agree with that, it has alot to do with coaching. If your team does not have a very good coach, it doesnt matter what class you get. Many times those rating things are wrong. For example, if I remember right DeMeco Ryans was a three star, he turned out pretty good.

Mark Anderson, NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year runner-up, was a 1-star.

Isn't a 3* a pretty good ranking?? I think so. The ratings probably for the most part accurate, but of course can't take into account outside influences that could make a 5* rated athlete turn into a bust, or a unrated athlete turn into a Pro Bowl selection.?? Just never know!!!!!

In fact, Ryans was a one star but that just makes your case even better.

The rankings certainly aren't the bottom line when determing whether a program will be successful. But I will say, I'd much rather sign a slew of 4* and 5* guys (As long as they are good character kids) than the alternative.

As ole bahr once said: "You can't make chicken salid out of chicken feathers." Nuff said! :au::thumbsup:

As ole bahr once said: "You can't make chicken salid out of chicken feathers." Nuff said! :au::thumbsup:

As Foghorn Leghorn once said, "Fortunately, I keep my feathers numbered in case of just such an emergency"

I don't think he said feathers. ;)

Five-star running back Joe McKnight has been the most discussed prospect by Alabama fans since the hiring of Nick Saban. Thursday, McKnight, 6-foot-1, 193 pounds, met with the new Tide coach for the first time, and the meeting went well.

McKnight rated No. 2 prospect in the nation by Rivals.com

"Coach Saban came by the school for a while today, and we talked. It went really well. He talked about Alabama and how he would like me to come and play for him. He went over the running backs they have and how they would use me in his offense. Just the usual stuff, but I was talking to Coach Saban so that was different," McKnight said. "It was good seeing him again. I knew he was coming, and I had been looking forward to it. I followed the whole coaching search and was curious to see if he took the job. When he did, I was hoping he would at least contact me. He's a great coach, and there are a lot of players who would want to play for him.

"I've known him for a long time. We initially met with I was 8th grade, and he was out at the school watching me practice. It was a big deal for him to be there, and I watched his teams at LSU and loved the style he coaches. At the time, he probably didn't know I was going to be a prospect, but he was nice to me and that stood out.

"I told him before he left that I would visit the last weekend before signing day. I had the next two weekends full, but I'm going to visit there before I decide anything."

McKnight admitted a respect for the Alabama program and a respect for the storied history.

"I know enough about Alabama including that they've won 12 national championships. That's always attractive and growing up in the South, you know they are one of the top programs," McKnight said. "I found it interesting when he told me his starting backfield was gone and that I would have an even field to compete against the other backs because they were inexperienced too. I have a lot of respect for their program.

"The campus, academics dorms and the rest, I'll learn about on my visit."

With three official visits left, the nation's second-best prospect overall claims no overall favorites.

"For me everyone is pretty much even. Everyone wants to give me a top two, but it's USC, LSU, Alabama and Ole Miss. I visit USC this weekend and then LSU. After that, I'll wrap it up with Alabama," McKnight said. "I'm just looking for a place where I can play ball, get a good education and enjoy college. I want to compete for a national championship and play early if possible."

You have no shot at McKnight...he goes LSU or USC. Why go to the #4 team in the SEC West?

Recruiting matters but it is all relative...not meant to be an Arkansas joke! There is little difference between the top 10's...but there is a considerable talent difference between #1 and #22. Yeah you can coach folks up but you can't coach talent, size, speed and athleticism. The ideal situation is recruit well and coach them up.

BAMMAPERRY, your posts which were unrelated to the topic of this thread were moved here. http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=34322

In the future, post that stuff in the recruiting forum or rivals forum, whichever is appropriate. Consider this a warning.

BAMMAPERRY, your posts which were unrelated to the topic of this thread were moved here. http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=34322

In the future, post that stuff in the recruiting forum or rivals forum, whichever is appropriate. Consider this a warning.

AGAIN!

AGAIN!

And again! :)

Five-star running back Joe McKnight has been the most discussed prospect by Alabama fans since the hiring of Nick Saban. Thursday, McKnight, 6-foot-1, 193 pounds, met with the new Tide coach for the first time, and the meeting went well.

"Coach Saban came by the school for a while today, and we talked. It went really well. He talked about Alabama and how he would like me to come and play for him. He went over the running backs they have and how they would use me in his offense. Just the usual stuff, but I was talking to Coach Saban so that was different," McKnight said. "It was good seeing him again. I knew he was coming, and I had been looking forward to it. I followed the whole coaching search and was curious to see if he took the job. When he did, I was hoping he would at least contact me. He's a great coach, and there are a lot of players who would want to play for him.

"I've known him for a long time. We initially met with I was 8th grade, and he was out at the school watching me practice. It was a big deal for him to be there, and I watched his teams at LSU and loved the style he coaches. At the time, he probably didn't know I was going to be a prospect, but he was nice to me and that stood out.

"I told him before he left that I would visit the last weekend before signing day. I had the next two weekends full, but I'm going to visit there before I decide anything."

McKnight admitted a respect for the Alabama program and a respect for the storied history.

"I know enough about Alabama including that they've won 12 national championships. That's always attractive and growing up in the South, you know they are one of the top programs," McKnight said. "I found it interesting when he told me his starting backfield was gone and that I would have an even field to compete against the other backs because they were inexperienced too. I have a lot of respect for their program.

With three official visits left, the nation's second-best prospect overall claims no overall favorites.

"For me everyone is pretty much even. Everyone wants to give me a top two, but it's USC, LSU, Alabama and Ole Miss. I visit USC this weekend and then LSU. After that, I'll wrap it up with Alabama," McKnight said. "I'm just looking for a place where I can play ball, get a good education and enjoy college. I want to compete for a national championship and play early if possible."

You have no shot at McKnight...he goes LSU or USC. Why go to the #4 team in the SEC West?

To start.

He likely won't do that in LA or BR. There's little (jmho) talent at Alabama right now. Everything's wide open.

To start.

He likely won't do that in LA or BR. There's little (jmho) talent at Alabama right now. Everything's wide open.

Gee I thought that was the Ole Miss recruiting line...my how the mighty have fallen! As if we didn't already know! LOL

Archived