Our recruits so far are from -----

eagle76

This geographical breakdown kind of surprised me. Only 2 recruits from Georgia. And they are a 3 star and a 2 star. Our reach is definitely expanding beyond the normal Al, Ga, Tn, Ms, and Fl. Here is the breakdown so far (as of 1/30):

Ala 7

Fla 7

Ark 3

Ga 2

Ms 1

Va 1

NY 1

Tn 1

Ky 1

Total 24

Maybe I am wrong, but I was under the impression that in most years, we almost have as many signee's from the peach state as we do here at home. 15 out of Georgia's 23 recruits are from in state. I wonder what it was about Georgia this year that made it so hard to recruit or was the talent just not there?? Maybe this is a down year in the peach state. Uf only has 2 from there while So Car and Clemsom only have 1 each. Has CMR put a wall around the state??

This geographical breakdown kind of surprised me. Only 2 recruits from Georgia. And they are a 3 star and a 2 star. Our reach is definitely expanding beyond the normal Al, Ga, Tn, Ms, and Fl. Here is the breakdown so far (as of 1/30):

Ala 7

Fla 7

Ark 3

Ga 2

Ms 1

Va 1

NY 1

Tn 1

Ky 1

Total 24

Maybe I am wrong, but I was under the impression that in most years, we almost have as many signee's from the peach state as we do here at home. 15 out of Georgia's 23 recruits are from in state. I wonder what it was about Georgia this year that made it so hard to recruit or was the talent just not there?? Maybe this is a down year in the peach state. Uf only has 2 from there while So Car and Clemsom only have 1 each. Has CMR put a wall around the state??

I noticed that our numbers seemed a bit down from Ga. too. I can remember when we received as many or more from Ga. as from Alabama. Of course our proximity has a lot to do with that. I wonder if it has to do with the recent emergence of Ga. Tech as a hotter program now than in the 90's and early 2000's? And, that Ga. had a down year and can use the pitch about early PT more effectively than in the past. Thirdly, we did well in Arkansas and Florida. Regardless, if we can keep the current momentum--I don't care how many we get out of there this year. I bet we'll be back up to norm in Ga. nxt yr.

I don't think it has anything to do with Tech...it has more to do with momentum in Florida. Tubs and staff have worked hard to establish some pipelines to FLA.... Great job by the coaches.... :):homer:

:au::homer:

I don't think it has anything to do with Tech...it has more to do with momentum in Florida. Tubs and staff have worked hard to establish some pipelines to FLA.... Great job by the coaches.... :):homer:

:au::homer:

I do believe it is more of where the staff focuses and where they believe the talent is. Is Richt locking down the state? Maybe, but a school in the south has to recruit succesfully in FL now. In Dye's time he had to recruit GA for AU to be succesfull.

Also, I guess we can count the NY as a Ga. signee. Didn't he play his HS ball in Ga.? I believe that's right, so that at least gives us one more.

Yes sir, Bo Harris(NY)**** and Chris Slaughter(VA)**** are peach state guys.

It could be GT's fault...They beat us out on Morgan Burnett, Johnathan Dwyer and Nick Claytor all of whom we finished a close second on. Those are 3 4* guys from Georgia that without Tech's ACC Champ game appearance we would most likely get.

It could be GT's fault...They beat us out on Morgan Burnett, Johnathan Dwyer and Nick Claytor all of whom we finished a close second on. Those are 3 4* guys from Georgia that without Tech's ACC Champ game appearance we would most likely get.

They didn't beat us on Dwyer, we simply chose Davis over him.

I think the interesting part of this is that we're beginning to effectively recruit much farther afield for quality players. It used to be that we would get players from Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. Now, we're a destination for guys from Arkansas, Kentucky, and Maryland, too. Keep it up, and we'll be able to recruit nationally, especially if Notre Dame continues to tank.

I think the interesting part of this is that we're beginning to effectively recruit much farther afield for quality players. It used to be that we would get players from Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. Now, we're a destination for guys from Arkansas, Kentucky, and Maryland, too. Keep it up, and we'll be able to recruit nationally, especially if Notre Dame continues to tank.

You're right about the spreading out Otter but I think going as far as you're talking isn't really a good thing. I definitely don't want to become another Tennessee in the SEC. Of course, their HS programs have been weaker than ours by most accounts. Per Capita, our state is IMO among the best. Surely Calif., Tx, Florida and others have more NCAA football players but we are one of the strongest HS football states in the country. Just ask college coaches. You'll see our kids every where--especially in the SEC, ACC and even out west. We have premiere HS football players. It's subjective but I've heard if from a lot of coaches.

I feel that national recruiting, like UT, actually begins to hurt teams in big games. There is just no possible way for the Iron Bowl to mean as much to Ben Tate as it meant to Cadillac, Bo, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm elated to have Ben --but, if you don't keep a strong regional and state recruiting base--you lose something in those rival games: UG, UF, UA, etc.

Having said that, we don't need to recruit nationally. We have plenty of talent within 4 states to compete nationally. And this current staff knows that and have built upon the foundations laid by previous coaches and are even building some new ones (i.e. Arkansas)

I can't say enough about the job CTT does with recruiting and spotting sleepers. He's among the best, imo.

Archived