Saban: savior or quitter?

rebdawg

The Weekly Hangover - FVSports.com

Do you define Nick Saban as the savior of Alabama, or a quitter for leaving the Miami Dolphins?

Fournier: Please refrain from using savior and Alabama in the same sentence ever again. Saban is a quitter. He left Michigan State after their best season ever to take a job at Louisiana State . He then led LSU to a national title, although Southern Cal was the best team in the country that season, coached another year and left for the NFL. Now after 2 years, he’s headed to Tuscaloosa ? This man is almost as bad as Larry Brown. In terms of how he’ll do at Bama, he’ll be okay but let’s not kid ourselves here. Bama is not an elite program anymore. Saban will probably stay there 2 or 3 years, win 8 or 9 games a year, and move on elsewhere. The people of Tuscaloosa need to do two things here. First of all they need to lower expectations. You don’t have the current talent to contend for the SEC every season. Goals for next season should be 8 wins, a top 15 recruiting class, and a win over either LSU or Auburn . The second thing the people of Tuscaloosa need to do is take a shower.

Surgener: Saban has a history of leaving when the going gets tough, or when things just aren’t as good as they used to be. His history doing this started at Michigan State , after his 10-2 season, he takes off as his senior class is leaving, his best class ever, and runs for greener pastures in Louisiana . His character has always been questionable at best to me, and leaving a good NFL situation because you are starting to realize you cant cut it, further exploits this flaw. He wins a National Title, after losing one game in 2003 by beating Oklahoma . What happens next is academic when talking about the career of Nick Saban. He has a less than great season the following year, and he leaves the program and fan base that treated him like he was royalty after going 9-3 and losing a heartbreaker to Iowa in a classic Capital One Bowl. Taking his show on the road, he brought hope and promise to a Dolphins organization that has the talent and ability to make the playoffs, only to come up short in both of his two years as head coach. So when offered the position at Alabama , of course he was going to take it. As far as being a savior, saviors never leave when the going gets tough. Saban will make Alabama a contender, a contender in the SEC that is. Alabama fans are some of the toughest and most unrealistic fans when it comes to their expectations of how fast a coach should have them in a Title Game. So what happens when you put a Coach that has quitting tendencies in a program who expects nothing short of a National Title run every other year? We’re about to find out.

Bonafede: Neither. It's going to take a lot more than Nick Saban to turn around Alabama. The first thing that must be defined is what "turn around" means. Currently, Alabama is an 8-4/9-3 a year program bringing in Top 25 recruiting classes every year. Obviously, with SEC teams like LSU, Florida, and especially arch-rival Auburn having so much success recently, the current state of Bama football is just not good enough. Problem is, Crimson Tide faithful expect the glory years to return, to win multiple National Championships every decade. That isn't happening, especially with coaches like Meyer, Richt, Fulmer, Miles, and Spurrier in their own conference. Based on his career resume, Nick Saban actually gets more respect and national attention than he deserves. However, I do not blame Saban for leaving the Dolphins, nor do I define him as a quitter. The NFL is a business, he made a personal decision in coming back to the college game, I won't fault him for that. The only thing I define Nick Saban as, is one of the few people left on Earth who actually believe LSU was a better team than USC in 2003.

Interesting read.

That is a great article, especially the part about Tuscalosers needing to shower. Seems like this guy really knows what he is talking about.

That is a great article, especially the part about Tuscalosers needing to shower. Seems like this guy really knows what he is talking about.

Man, I tell you what, them medier guys just caint staind that Bama's back, baby, wooooo!

It's a cunspeersy. Them guys all hate us cuz they know we the best they is in football, baby, wooo!

Jibba Jab, Roh Tah!

2007 NC!

I just wanted to get that in before BP had the chance to.

Man, I tell you what, them medier guys just caint staind that Bama's back, baby, wooooo!

It's a cunspeersy. Them guys all hate us cuz they know we the best they is in football, baby, wooo!

Jibba Jab, Roh Tah!

2007 NC!

Nice try, but no matter how hard you work at it you can't sound as bad a s BP.

Jibba Jab, Roh Tah!

2007 NC!

Shane...? Is that you Shane??? :)

:au::homer:

Archived