Athlon's says Carlton may qualify

sogaaufan

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-footba...ass-no-8-auburn

Sleeper: Carlton Johnson, LB, Lynn Haven, Fla.

The teammate of standout prospect Enrique Davis, Johnson was a player that flew under the radar throughout most of the recruiting process before choosing Auburn on signing day. Due to grade concerns he slipped down the priority list of many of the top programs in the region, but is now on pace to qualify academically and join the Tigers for fall practice. Johnson drew lots of attention early from programs like Florida and Florida State but as their interest in him subsided, Auburn stayed with him. Carlton gives new LB coach James Willis a big prospect who enjoys contact and can fly around the field from sideline to sideline with the best the SEC has to offer. It should come as no surprise that Tommy Tuberville is very excited about his addition, “He’s a big-time athlete that can really run, who is also a great hitter and very physical.”

It looks like CTT may have to make room for Carlton to join this fall. Good news for the defense.

If he gets in, you'll see this kid on the field next year. CWM was more excited about him than any LB we got this year and that's saying a lot.

Sounds like to me Blackmon better corral his feces rapidly or he will be out of luck.. :blink::big: CTT got commits from some very good linebackers and time waits for no man. Come on Tray!

If he gets in, you'll see this kid on the field next year. CWM was more excited about him than any LB we got this year and that's saying a lot.

That's what I was thinking. I had never heard of him, but when he committed it seemed to shake the earth. I still don't know much about him, but if he is half as good as advertised we will be in GREAT shape at LB for some time now.

No redshirt for weight gain? I know you guys like the small, quick mold at LB, but sub-190 would surely become a liability.

That's what I was thinking. I had never heard of him, but when he committed it seemed to shake the earth. I still don't know much about him, but if he is half as good as advertised we will be in GREAT shape at LB for some time now.

His HS coach said "he can do it all run, tackle, catch and throw. He is definitely a Division I player." He played QB his freshman year of HS. He would have been the starter this year but with their offense was centered around ED and he was more valuable at MLB. He was also ED's backup at TB.

This kid is an amazing athlete. He could play at least 5 different positions in college.

No redshirt for weight gain? I know you guys like the small, quick mold at LB, but sub-190 would surely become a liability.

We all know how hype is and sometimes things don't pan out. BUT--if the word I hear about this guy is anywhere near true--I think 10 to 15 pounds can easily be put on before nxt season and we can watch him fly around the field very soon. Don't know if the RS is in the plans or not but it will be interestring to see if Trey can straighten his ship's course because it looks like this guy is for real.

If we are playing a LB at 185 lbs next yr. then we have SERIOUS problems on defense... This guy may have the instincts and speed. But he has to muscle up to play LB in the SEC.

From what I've heard Carlton is still on pace to go to Prep School so it likely wont be a problem. He's raised his GPA substantially but still doesn't have the required ACT score. He could do great on his next retake and make it in but its not a guarentee.

PS: that weight (185lbs) was from this past summer. I've seen Johnson listed as 200lbs, and ESPN listed him as 220lbs. Point is I highly doubt he weighs anywhere near 185lbs right now.

He's over 200, the last time he was officially weighed was at a combine in GA last spring.

Archived