Pelosi's Daughter Targets Evangelicals

Tigermike

I mean the church. au9596 said, "The Church should be even more involved than it is in our politics today." So, my question is, "Should a religious institution be involved in the formulation of US laws?"

Yes.

To the extent that any group has the right to influence lawmakers (Congress). I would like to see the church take a more active role in influencing legislation than they do today.

I would venture to say that the overwhelming majority of Congress claims some religious affiliation. What do you mean by active role?

By "church" I mean those who believe in God as the christians and jews do, no specific denomination.

Why would you exclude those who believe in God differently? Article VI section III of the Constitution says, "The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."

The framers of the Constitution seem to disagree with you.

I mean the church. au9596 said, "The Church should be even more involved than it is in our politics today." So, my question is, "Should a religious institution be involved in the formulation of US laws?"

Yes.

To the extent that any group has the right to influence lawmakers (Congress). I would like to see the church take a more active role in influencing legislation than they do today. By "church" I mean those who believe in God as the christians and jews do, no specific denomination.

There is no such thing as seperation of church and state in our constitution only freedom of religion. Seperation of Church and State derived from a misguided ruling by the Supreme Court which was never intended by the founding fathers of this country. It is a perfect example of legislating from the bench rather than interpreting the constitution and or laws established by the legislative branch.

Well, I for one am wary when any one denomination speaks for the body of Christianity. What legislation would you ram through based on your interpretation of the faith?

-- If you're Baptist, I guess you would outlaw alcohol. Of course, we all know what a total disaster that was.

-- If you're Catholic, you would be obligated to outlaw contraception. In fact, Tom Monahan, the founder of Domino's has founded a Catholic city in Florida. And, in the city by-laws, he did his best to outlaw contraceptives and cable channels that he disapproved of, before being stopped by a state judge. See how quickly one person can impose his views on another?

-- If you're Mormon, not only would you be obligated to outlaw contraception and alcohol, but you might be also weighing in on legalizing polygamy.

-- If you're a fundamentalist, you'd be intent on hanging the Ten Commandments up in the court house, never considering for a moment that the Ten Commandments vary markedly between Protestant and Catholic, Christian and Jew. Preferring one version of the Ten Commandments over the other is an implicit state endorsement of one branch of Christianity over another.

-- At the same time, you'd do your utmost to put prayer in public schools, even though a number of denominations take Matthew, Chapter 6, to heart and discourage prayer in public places. And, of course, the very language of prayer is denominational in nature, and represents that denomination's view on a person's relationship with God. After all, if you go to a high Anglican mass, the language of prayer is very formal in nature signifying a profound sense of structure and servant hood. Meanwhile, the language used in some fundamentalist congregation is very personal and intimate, almost as if you were asking God to hand you up a night crawler from the back of the fishing boat. Whose prayers would you say in school?

-- If you're a liberal Christian, then you'd be advised to heighten government commitment to social programs and cut military funding to a bare essential.

The list goes on and on and on, and that's the problem. Because of the wholesale differences between Christian denominations on a variety of issues, nobody adequately speaks for the entire faith. That's why there is wisdom in the separation of church and state. By not preferring one religious practice over another we are all able to worship in our own way, rather than thrashing out our theological differences in every session of Congress and in city council meetings.

What do you outlaw if you're an Episcopalian?

What do you outlaw if you're an Episcopalian?

Really ugly ties. LOL

Actually, as an Episcopalian, I can tell you that we encompass a pretty wide range of beliefs, as demonstrated by one diocese's decision to intall a gay Bishop (Something almost the entire denomination takes profound issue with, by the way. Holy mackeral, you should sit in on the conferences), and other dioceses are pretty close to Catholicism. However, there are two common strains in the faith: Respect for the religious choices of others, and a belief that faith requires ongoing exploration and study. Sometimes that leads two well-meaning people to arrive at utterly different conclusions about the same passage. That's why, in our Christian education programs, you'll find a rich and, sometimes, vigorous discussion of what's important in faith.

Further, we as a denomination believe that the best way to advance Christ's mission on earth is through our personal service to others. As a result, you'll find an active outreach ministry in any Episcopal church that tries to meet the needs of the suffering and impoverished in our communities.

That means that, politically, you'll find a broad swatch of political viewpoints even within a single congregation. Not to mention a deep suspicion of absolutism.

Hope that answers your question.

"If we ever forget that we're One Nation Under God,

then we will be a nation gone under."

Ronald Reagan

The Church should be even more involved than it is in our politics today.

Should the church be involved in the formulation of laws?

Should the gay and lesbo lobby be involved in the formulation of laws?

Also.

Should those environmentalists who worship at the feet of global warming be involved in the formation of laws?

The Constitution seems to be quiet on matters of sexual orientation and environmental matters and requires no such tests, either.

OK Al, I'm going to ask you the same question about a group that is near and dear to your heart.

It's not so much that they're 'near and dear' to me, I just don't hate them.

"If we ever forget that we're One Nation Under God,

then we will be a nation gone under."

Ronald Reagan

The Church should be even more involved than it is in our politics today.

Should the church be involved in the formulation of laws?

Should the gay and lesbo lobby be involved in the formulation of laws?

Also.

Should those environmentalists who worship at the feet of global warming be involved in the formation of laws?

The Constitution seems to be quiet on matters of sexual orientation and environmental matters and requires no such tests, either.

The Constitution is also quiet on personal religious beliefs. No one on this forum has advocated establishment of a national religion.

OK Al, I'm going to ask you the same question about a group that is near and dear to your heart.

It's not so much that they're 'near and dear' to me, I just don't hate them.

There you go jumping off and making stupid unfounded insinuations and accusations.

Archived