UAT-Florida State football game

AU alum

BG03 says your husband doesn't exist. There are no Alabama fans expecting an SEC title this season, they'll all be just peachy if they can win a game or two and Saban doesn't ask for too big of a raise.

I'd say that his opinions don't reflect the VAST majority of Alabama fans. Though you'd never believe that. You only remember the delusional ones because it fits your little mental image of Alabama fans perfectly.

yeah we remember the delusional ones because they make up 99% of the fan base.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BG03 says your husband doesn't exist. There are no Alabama fans expecting an SEC title this season, they'll all be just peachy if they can win a game or two and Saban doesn't ask for too big of a raise.

I'd say that his opinions don't reflect the VAST majority of Alabama fans. Though you'd never believe that. You only remember the delusional ones because it fits your little mental image of Alabama fans perfectly.

You'd say that when all available evidence points to the contrary. Face it, BG, the vast majority of Bama fans are pretty much as described on here. The rational, sane, genteel ones you claim to know exist only in your imagination. They're like Sasquatch. People talk about them as if they're real. Some even claim to have video proof of their existence. But when it gets right down to it, nobody's actually ever seen one.

You'd say that when all available evidence points to the contrary. Face it, BG, the vast majority of Bama fans are pretty much as described on here. The rational, sane, genteel ones you claim to know exist only in your imagination. They're like Sasquatch. People talk about them as if they're real. Some even claim to have video proof of their existence. But when it gets right down to it, nobody's actually ever seen one.

Forgive me if I don't take your "because I say so" evidence. The "available evidence that points to the contrary"? Just because you know a few irrational UA fans or hear a few on the radio...or even read some junk on Bamamag...YOU think those are the only UA fans that exist.

odd, thats like your theory of even if one idiot bama fan says something and 10,000 bama fans call him an idiot for thinking it, that 1 fan is the perfect example of ALL bama fans. you would say it when all available evidence points to the contrary. you remind me of this one guy in our department, and i tell him this all the time: "just because you scream the loudest doesn't mean people will listen to what you're saying". its like you just plug your ears and scream "NO NO NO I'M RIGHT YOU'RE WRONG BECAUSE I SAID SO!!!" for that matter, i know a bunch of AU folks and a few of them are irrational pompous jerks....so using your logic, they all are jerks, right?

odd, thats like your theory of even if one idiot bama fan says something and 10,000 bama fans call him an idiot for thinking it, that 1 fan is the perfect example of ALL bama fans. you would say it when all available evidence points to the contrary. you remind me of this one guy in our department, and i tell him this all the time: "just because you scream the loudest doesn't mean people will listen to what you're saying". its like you just plug your ears and scream "NO NO NO I'M RIGHT YOU'RE WRONG BECAUSE I SAID SO!!!" for that matter, i know a bunch of AU folks and a few of them are irrational pompous jerks....so using your logic, they all are jerks, right?

No, you have it all wrong. We're not talking about taking isolated incidents and trying to portray them as a trend. That's what you're doing in your example. We're talking about attempting to pass off a pervasive mindset and pattern of behavior as an isolated incident which is what you and BG do every time you spring to the defense of yet another delusional Bama fan.

I live in the middle of Alabama fan country. For every one logical, rational, reasonable Bama fan I can point out 1000 who aren't. YOU guys are the only ones making the silly "one idiot bama fan" claims.

Let me ask you a simple question. If the number of "idiot" bama fans is so insignificant, why is it that 99% who call in to talk radio shows, 99% who appear on television during 'man-on-the-street' interviews, 100% who showed up at Saban's plane landing, 99% of the members of our* families who are Alabama fans, 99% of the people we* work with who are Alabama fans, 90% of the people we* go to church with who are Alabama fans and 100% of the children of Alabama fans we* know such irrational, loudmouth, delusional, bobo-honking boobs?

Follow up question: Why is it that all confirmed Bama fans who host talk radio or television shows are also delusional, irrational, bobo-honkers? Take Jay Barker for instance. He nearly broke down in tears today when Al Del Greco was rationally explaining to him that Auburn -- at this moment in time -- is a better job than Alabama. He was upset because he couldn't get people to agree with him. Completely clueless was he. He fired the tired "tradition" salvo and it fizzled. He whined that "if it wasn't so great, how come they were able to lure Saban." Four million dollars and he was failing miserably at his Dolphins job might have had something to do with it, but not to Barker. He is typical of the blind Bama fan. He struggles to give Auburn credit for anything and views Bammer as this glorious shining city on a hill that radiates a glow that puts all else in its shadow. Even after the last 25 years of Auburn proving itself to be superior in every way to UA, Barker still tossed off the "second school" line. Typical. Fact is, it's better for them to be this blind. They've refused to see what was happening to them for the last 25 years, I'm all for them being blind for another 25.

Follow up question two: If the "idiot" bama fans are few and far between, why is it that the rest of the nation considers UA in the same light? Why do the fans of every other school in the league think Bama fans are detatched from reality? Why does the national media have this same perception? Why did Jim Rome and countless other members of the media make the same pointed observations about Bama fans that you try to claim are exceptions and not the rule? Are they ignoring the masses of "normal" fans to search out the handful of loons? No. They're not. The loons are the norm.

* "our" and "we" refer to the collective Auburn fan, not a specific individual

Everyone outside of the south thinks everyone who is from the south is a racist idiot redneck.

So I could see what you mean. I mean...if ESPN thinks Alabama fans are idiot rednecks, they MUST know what they are talking about. Surely it has NOTHING to do with the fact that people like me don't care to call into talk radio shows, or don't care to be interviewed by television.

Don't get me started on Del Greco vs Jay Barker. The guy is a joke.

And you say 99% this or 99% that. But you REMEMBER all the crazy fans, you forget all the rational ones. Because, again, it fits your mental mold.

I could take a poll on BOL right now and ask "How many EXPECT us to win the sec championship next year"...and i promise you maybe 5 out of every 100 would say they expect us to win the SEC. But you don't care about that. You still think the VAST majority expect to go 12-0 next year. Just because you say so.

So how do you explain that? If 5 out of 100 expect to win the SEC title...how is that the majority? What about the other 95?

I could take a poll on BOL right now and ask "How many EXPECT us to win the sec championship next year"...and i promise you maybe 5 out of every 100 would say they expect us to win the SEC. But you don't care about that. You still think the VAST majority expect to go 12-0 next year. Just because you say so.

So how do you explain that? If 5 out of 100 expect to win the SEC title...how is that the majority? What about the other 95?

yeah, you COULD take a poll. and you PROMISE us that "maybe 5 out of every 100" would say they expect to win the SEC next year. Dealing in absolutes has bitten you so hard in the ass on here before, you'd think you would have learned by now.

There is nothing to explain about your mythical 5 out of 100. You have NOTHING to back up what your saying. We have personal daily encounters, and believe me, they expect an SEC title. Before the season last year, they were all expecting an SEC title in 2007. Hiring saban did nothing but add to the delusion.

And you say 99% this or 99% that. But you REMEMBER all the crazy fans, you forget all the rational ones. Because, again, it fits your mental mold.

I started another thread a few weeks ago that stated just the opposite.

http://www.tidesports.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

The frontpage poll on TideSports.com (I am assuming it is yesterday's since it has 9k votes)

How long will it take Coach Satan to win a NC at Alabama?

the results: unbelievable the delusion

next year 4.7%

two years 16.3%

three years 38.6%

four years 22.4%

five years or more 10.0%

never 7.9%

59.6% (a majority) of bammers expect to win a NC in or before three years.

So the question for BG, is the 59.6% of the bammers who are itching to buy a got 13 NC t-shirt in your definition of rational?

Im actually a bit worried about this game...Im a little nervous that the world could end the next day. I mean what happens when the Devil plays the Devil?

Everyone outside of the south thinks everyone who is from the south is a racist idiot redneck.

So I could see what you mean. I mean...if ESPN thinks Alabama fans are idiot rednecks, they MUST know what they are talking about. Surely it has NOTHING to do with the fact that people like me don't care to call into talk radio shows, or don't care to be interviewed by television.

Don't get me started on Del Greco vs Jay Barker. The guy is a joke.

You're just making up numbers. Hmmmm. You're using a mythical five out of 100 and trying to pass it off as reality. I know you guys are used to making up numbers and pretending they're real, but come ON. You know and I know that far more than 5% of your fanbase anticipates magical things. At lunch today in a little cafe near home I was in the room with six Bama fans who were talking about spring training. Conversation went like this:

"Discipline. He's got discipline. Boys will be the best conditioned they've been since Bear had them running stadium steps."

"Yep. No more attitudes. Saban won't put up with it. He'll have them boys in shape."

"I don't too much mind paying more for tickets, because we'll get back to seeing Alabama football instead of Shulaball. "

"Figure we can win the West this season because Auburn still has Tubby and LSU lost Russell. If we get Florida in the SEC-CG, we already proved we can beat them. Had them beat last season if Shula knew what to do."

"Be hard to make a run at the national title next year because they'll just be getting used to Saban, but we should win the SEC at least and then in 2008 it's on."

"Yeah, but I wouldn't count out 2007 yet. USC is really the only competition and they're PAC-10."

I actually forget the crazy fans because I don't pay them any attention. I remember the sane and rational ones because there are so few.

I agree, Jay Barker is a joke. A complete and total joke and a bobo-honker of the first magnitude. Glad we can agree on something.

I don't know one UA fan who expects to win the SEC next year.

But you're right...I mean you know more about Alabama fans than I do. Just because you don't live too far from ttown and know a few unreasonables, doesn't make you THE end all when it comes to the pulse of the UA faithful.

But you're right...I mean you know more about Alabama fans than I do. Just because you don't live too far from ttown and know a few unreasonables, doesn't make you THE end all when it comes to the pulse of the UA faithful.

I am an observer of the human condition. And a good one.

I am an observer of the human condition. And a good one.

I am too. I heard a few AU fans acting like idiots on the radio the other day...therefore I have composed a dead on makeup of every AU fan on the planet based on those representatives.

I am too. I heard a few AU fans acting like idiots on the radio the other day...therefore I have composed a dead on makeup of every AU fan on the planet based on those representatives.

Once again your argument is fallacious. Even if the incident above did happen, you're using one isolated event to determine a trend.

We're talking about an overall attitude, a pervasiveness of behavior that spans many generations. There is no comparison.

When was the last time you heard the national media -- from Rome to Patrick, Fox to ESPN -- ridicule Auburn fans as 'delusional' or 'delirous'? Now what about Alabama? Stereotypes are there for a reason, BG. You don't have a stereotype based on a few random nuts. Stereotypes develop because the overwelming majority of a group fits that mold. When was the last time you heard members of the state and national press laugh at Auburn fans' asinine expectations? Now what about Alabama's? Stereotypes exist for a reason. When was the last time you had some semi-literate crab puff server in Target assail you because you were wearing the T-shirt of his rival? Never? Stereotypes exist for a reason.

My wife's cousins refuse to allow their kids to play with my daughter because she was an Auburn fan and wouldn't say "rt". And they're "educated" having attended UA. You think they're "not typical"? I disagree.

I've been flipped the bird (numerous times) because I have the audacity to fly Auburn flags on my truck. You think those bird wavers are not typical? Disagree again.

I've had obscenities screamed at me from car windows almost every time I wear my Auburn gear in Tuscaloosa. Typical behavior? I think so.

I was refused service in two different Tuscaloosa restaurants because I was wearing AU clothes.

I've never seen Auburn fans behave this way toward Alabama fans. Ever. You can say what you want, but I know what I see. You may be different. You may think you speak for the typical fan. But my experience, and that of all my Auburn friends, is vastly different from what you claim.

I've never seen Auburn fans behave this way toward Alabama fans. Ever. You can say what you want, but I know what I see. You may be different. You may think you speak for the typical fan. But my experience, and that of all my Auburn friends, is vastly different from what you claim.

I have been treated the same way many times by AU fans. I've never been cussed harder by someone I didn't know than I have both times I was leaving JHS. All because I had a crimson colored polo on.

I have been treated the same way many times by AU fans. I've never been cussed harder by someone I didn't know than I have both times I was leaving JHS. All because I had a crimson colored polo on.

If that happened, I apologize on behalf of the 99% of us who do not behave that way. I even apologize to the 99% of ya'll that do behave that way because we're above that.

I was refused service in two different Tuscaloosa restaurants because I was wearing AU clothes.

Wait, Wait...are you serious?

Yeah, why?

One was a locally owned place and the guy may or may not have been kidding, but after he told me twice that "we don't serve Auburn folks in here" I just left. The other time was a semi-fast food place where the counter guy walked away and said he wasn't going to take "no Auburn fan's order". Both happened during a football season and the semi-fast food one came the night after an AU win over Alabama.

Two of my friends had their car keyed and their UA gear ripped from their automobile while in AU. Neither were down there during the iron bowl either.

Two of my friends had their car keyed and their UA gear ripped from their automobile while in AU. Neither were down there during the iron bowl either.

Sounds apocryphal to me. Urban legend.

Why is this discussion still going on? It comes up several times a year and its tired and old. We all know we'll never convince BG that uat fans are the epitome of arrogance, lunacy, and delusion. He's gonna do everything to justify his fan base, and embrace their every words. There is no reason to continue down this path.

The difference between our two fan bases is this: 1.) they hate auburn/auburn fans because they honestly believe they are superior to us. They live and die (and shoot some of their own) at the results of a football game. They constantly use the tired "12 nc's", or tradition to claim their superiority. 2.) We hate uat fans because they "THINK" they are vastly superior in every way. Plain and simple. If I had not had to endure the kind of snide comments and attacks I received growing up from uat fans, I likely wouldn't have the intense hatred for them and everything they stand for today. I hate uat with a passion. I don't want anything they have to be successful. I want them to fail miserably everytime at everything they try. All because of the way I was treated while growing up. And I didn't grow up in Alabama either, so I can only imagine what it was like for those of you that did.

Like it or not, UAT controls the media in the state, and the media does everything it can to embrace uat and build them up to the false ideas they hold. The media at the same time rarely says anything about auburn. Then you have THE MACHINE at uat that does everything it can to control the politics in the state, and when you combine the statewide media and the political infrastructure, auburn can't win. uat and its administration/boosters will do anything it takes to keep auburn down.

They believe its their inherent right to win at everything, everytime, and how dare anybody step up (dye) and level the playing field and take the advantage away from the "state whore".

Yeah, why?

One was a locally owned place and the guy may or may not have been kidding, but after he told me twice that "we don't serve Auburn folks in here" I just left. The other time was a semi-fast food place where the counter guy walked away and said he wasn't going to take "no Auburn fan's order". Both happened during a football season and the semi-fast food one came the night after an AU win over Alabama.

I have just never heard of something like that happening before.

I am not sure what I would do if I went to a place in Knoxville or Cootlumbia and didnt get served.

Yeah, why?

I am not sure what I would do if I went to a place in Knoxville or Cootlumbia and didnt get served.

I am sorry, but I just don't believe that. I do believe that someone just teasing said, "we don't serve Auburn fans here", and if you're that senstitive.............Then I guess this could have happened.

If the other place was a fast food place, then it's a chain, and I would report them, or I would have at least asked for the manager. No one has to be treated this way, and shouldn't accept such behavior.

My question would be though. Did the AU fan smart off at the counter guy? If this happened the day after the last defeat, which we all took pretty bad, then I am sorry but you asked for it.

Just my opinion, but I do believe that some respect is to be shown for the other school when you are at their home, but I also believe that we should treat visitors with respect, but sometimes people don't want respect.

They would rather mouth off, and then be offended when it's given back.

I believe it, because I had a server at a banquet in Tuscalooser just stare at me, instead of doing his job and putting the damn food on my plate because I was one of only two people wearing :au: attire. Also went to the latrine and was told "You must have to piss really bad to have came in here" Boy I would've loved to piss on that guys shoes, but I didn't want to lower myself to the bama level.

Yeah, why?

I am sorry, but I just don't believe that. I do believe that someone just teasing said, "we don't serve Auburn fans here", and if you're that senstitive.............Then I guess this could have happened.

If the other place was a fast food place, then it's a chain, and I would report them, or I would have at least asked for the manager. No one has to be treated this way, and shouldn't accept such behavior.

My question would be though. Did the AU fan smart off at the counter guy? If this happened the day after the last defeat, which we all took pretty bad, then I am sorry but you asked for it.

Just my opinion, but I do believe that some respect is to be shown for the other school when you are at their home, but I also believe that we should treat visitors with respect, but sometimes people don't want respect.

They would rather mouth off, and then be offended when it's given back.

First, I don't give a fart in a stiff breeze what you believe or don't believe.

Second, I know the difference between teasing and poking fun and rudeness.

Third, I ate for free for about three months at the chain in question after I did complain. Sent me a book of free meal coupons.

Fourth? If you knew me at all you'd know I didn't say anything. I live near Tuscaloosa and wear my AU stuff over there all the time. As a rule, I never initiate any type of smack with a Bama fan I don't know. You'd also know that I'm not particularly sensitive about it because I get it almost every time I go over there to shop or eat or anything and have on AU gear. When I check out at Target or half the stores in the mall, I get some crack from the clerk. Servers at restaurants make snide comments. I understand and accept that because I am proudly wearing the colors of the program that dominates the team their grandaddy told them to like. I generally don't even respond other than to smile at their stupidity and pity them. At the movies a cop stepped in front of me and my then-five year old daughter telling us he'd have to take us in for wearing obscenities on our shirts. She cried. I knew he was kidding. On that occasion, I got some revenge. In the darkened theater when they showed the commercials prior to the film, one was a promo for Bama football featuring Mike Shula and the prototypical "we're back, 12 NC" nonsense. They played that sound that resembles an old man squeezing out a fart -- fwwwwweeeeeeeeeeee. And I laughed loudly and brazenly. I had popcorn thrown at me and one guy in the back fired off an obscenity, but those I deserved and accepted in the spirit they were given. The two instances I noted, however? Them boys wasn't "jest joshin'" and they took it further than I was willing to accept in the spirit of the rivalry. They were rude jackholes.

Archived