Its Great to be an Auburn Tiger

AUdad4kicks

Indulge me and let me relate a recent experience. I was at Disney World last week with my family. Three of the six days I wore my Orange and Blue and three I didn't. On the days I did I was greated by a hearty WAR EAGLE at least 5 times each day. On the days I didn't I was able to do the same to my fellow Auburn fans at least the same amount. On a few occasions it actually led to a quick greeting and conversation.

While there I also noticed team colors from just about any school you could think of. The striking thing was how little I saw the colors from that other school across the state. In fact I saw more people wearing Boise State colors. I have been to Six Flags and would see that other schools colors everywhere, but it was obviously absent in Orlando.

I wonder if any of you have had similar experiences? If so tell us. Also if you have any ideas on the reasons for the above mentioned discrepency I'd like to read them. I have my own, but I'd like to see some of yours first.

WAR EAGLE!!!

I always saw a lot of Big-10 fans down there in Mickey Mouse town. Usually wearing bermuda shorts, some goofy hat, and calf high black hose with sandals. Tacky tacky tacky!

Outside of Six Flags, I never recall seeing a large contingent of :ua: fans. I really have no explanation why, but I like to think its because the number of filling stations that accept food stamps as payment for gas declines at a rapid pace the further you get away from Tuscaloosa county.

Once, I was in New Zealand in Queenstown. Some guy who was an Australian who had gone to Auburn for two years studying some incomprehensible horticulture thing.

Another time, I was in Maryland at the Annapolis Boat Show. He was a doctor in West Virginia.

New York, San Francisco, and Chicago are also places where I got a big "War Eagle" in passing. Didn't find out about those guys.

There was a great article in the Wall Street Journal several months ago about the Ludwig Von Mies Institute at Auburn that attracts free market economists from around the globe. One great quote was how, in economics circles in Europe, you can now find other European economists who keep track of the Auburn football team.

Got a War Eagle from David Marsh in the checkout line at Sam's Club in Las Vegas after our van had a blowout and we stopped to get a new tire. He was there for a swim meet.

I used to give a receive WDE's when I lived in Atlanta (8/00-3/06). The funniest one was when I was in Bass Pro Shops with my father in law (a Bammer) I saw what had to be a 80 year old man with a walker wearing an Auburn shirt. I told him war eagle and he straightened up enough to look me in the eye and said, "You're G**D**n right War Eagle!!!" My father in law said roll tide and the old man looked at him and said, "Piss on you!!!"

I love older people who just don't give a crap what people think anymore.

Indulge me and let me relate a recent experience. I was at Disney World last week with my family. Three of the six days I wore my Orange and Blue and three I didn't. On the days I did I was greated by a hearty WAR EAGLE at least 5 times each day. On the days I didn't I was able to do the same to my fellow Auburn fans at least the same amount. On a few occasions it actually led to a quick greeting and conversation.

While there I also noticed team colors from just about any school you could think of. The striking thing was how little I saw the colors from that other school across the state. In fact I saw more people wearing Boise State colors. I have been to Six Flags and would see that other schools colors everywhere, but it was obviously absent in Orlando.

I wonder if any of you have had similar experiences? If so tell us. Also if you have any ideas on the reasons for the above mentioned discrepency I'd like to read them. I have my own, but I'd like to see some of yours first.

WAR EAGLE!!!

I was there last week and noticed the same thing - heck I may have even been one of the people you talked to. There was sure a lot of Orange and Blue. Me and my wife and our 4 kids would be hard to miss if you saw us - we could have a family hockey team.

Guest Tigrinum Major

WAR EAGLE!!!

Outstanding.

I have gotten War Eagles at a Chicago White Sox game, jogging on the golf course at Fort Polk, in Dallas and Houston airports, and too many other places to remember.

It's an Auburn thing, you Alabama fans wouldn't understand.

WAR EAGLE!!!

I was there last week and noticed the same thing - heck I may have even been one of the people you talked to. There was sure a lot of Orange and Blue. Me and my wife and our 4 kids would be hard to miss if you saw us - we could have a family hockey team.

I was there last week too. I probably saw you guys. I was wearing an orange polo shirt one day, an Auburn Hawiian style shirt one day and a blue auburn polo another. Maybe you saw me?

:au: I was in Florence, Italy overlooking the city from the top of a building......standing next to me was an AU grad who noticed my hat...... which started a rather long conversation! :au:

I've been to Disney 3x's and the AU gear outnumbers bammer gear every time.

The answer is quite simple. Bammers don't spend money on Mickey Mouse, they spend it on getting into Bahrs museum. You know, the one right down the road from Tuberville-Denny stadium?

And besides, Disney is a "present/future" type of place. There is only one small section devoted to the past that the bammers could relate to anyway...

Gave and received a War Eagle at the 10,000-ft summit of the Haleakala volcano at Maui. There were only about four people there at the time.

Also got War Eagles from two middle aged couples travelling together at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

I've been to Disney 3x's and the AU gear outnumbers bammer gear every time.

The answer is quite simple. Bammers don't spend money on Mickey Mouse, they spend it on getting into Bahrs museum. You know, the one right down the road from Tuberville-Denny stadium?

And besides, Disney is a "present/future" type of place. There is only one small section devoted to the past that the bammers could relate to anyway...

You have to remember that most 'Bama fans are non-graduates and definitely fair-weather fans, and with the past years lack of success their crimson shirts and hats are hidden far back in the closet. If Saban has any kind of success, watch them jump on the bandwagon all over again. And that's why I chose Auburn over 'Bama way back in the late 70's growing up in Montgomery; Auburn people were genuine, 'Bama fans were rednecks with "I :wub: the Bear" bumber stickers on their pickups, and had never been within 50 miles of Tuscaloosa...

I get to go to the Gulf Coast of Florida a lot with the family to camp. I always wear my AU gear when I get a chance. When I rode my bike around the grounds, I'll get some War Eagle shouts and usually some other SEC fans comments. A couple of years ago after the :ua: lost to someone, I got a "Roll Tide" from this redneck. I promptly responded: "Yea, they rolled over!" I didn't have to hear from them anymore that trip.

I was in Sandestin last year before the Iron Bowl and I got several War Eagles and a Fear the Thumb! from an 80ish man. I gave him a thumbs up. Its funny how you get all of these War Eagle stories away from home, but they diminish when you get back into Alabama. At least for me. WDE!!

I spoke with a guy wearing one of the coaching styale Under Armour shirts in a Star Wars ride line in MGM one day, and let an AU guy borrow my cell phone once. I had an AU T-shirt one day, polo shirt one day, and my wife wore my AU wind shirt once. I'm about 6'1" 220lbs , blonde hair and had my wife and 4 kids running around (2 boys, 2 girls - ranging from 9 - 2 years old).

I wish I would have known a few AUN guys would have been there, we could havew scheduled lunch ;)

I was in Nassau earlier this week. One day I wore an Auburn shirt and visor and I got at least 5 War Eagles (not from other AU spring breakers either), one of which was from a Bahamian native who said he spent some time living in Ga and went to see us play WKU in 03.

Unfortunately, I got 2 or 3 Rawl Tahds from some necks down there. 1 of them seemed surprised that my group of friends ALL went to AU. :lol:

I also heard a few Go Gators (expected though since it's so close to UF), 1 Hook em Horns, 1 Go Big Blue (UK), and a few Georgia fans cutting it up.

I spoke with a guy wearing one of the coaching styale Under Armour shirts in a Star Wars ride line in MGM one day, and let an AU guy borrow my cell phone once. I had an AU T-shirt one day, polo shirt one day, and my wife wore my AU wind shirt once. I'm about 6'1" 220lbs , blonde hair and had my wife and 4 kids running around (2 boys, 2 girls - ranging from 9 - 2 years old).

I wish I would have known a few AUN guys would have been there, we could havew scheduled lunch ;)

I had on an orange Under Armour polo and was at the Star Wars ride when it was sprinkling just a little bit. My daughter (7) had just had her face painted across from where you come out of the Indiana Jones ride. Could have been me.

My mom’s first cousin is a bammer fan and his wife is an Auburn fan. They like to each dress in their apparel when they go out. They travel all over the world a lot and he says no matter where they go his wife always gets greeted with a War Eagle. He says, “you damn people are everywhere.”

I got a "War Eagle" in the Dunvegan pub in St Andrews Scotland last August. I had just finished my round on the Old Course and a guy in the pub was from Augusta, Ga and an Auburn graduate. Also, virtually every domestic airport I've ever been in, I've heard a War Eagle! I always wear my colors when I travel as do a lot of other Auburn fans

On our Christmas vacation to Daufuskie Island, SC - we got a "War Eagle" from a very nice gentleman on the Ferry to the island. My husband started a conversation and arranged a golfing outing with him and our daughter's boyfriend (AUBirdie). While on the island, my daughter and I saw several AU folks at the clubhouse and at the resort hotel. It was like everyone from AU was vacationing at Daufuskie that week! One of the staff was an AU grad! Now for the point of the story. The original "War Eagle" friend, arranged for TigerDad and AUBirdie to have tickets to the final round of the MASTERS!!!! It really pays to say, "War Eagle"! We're good folks! You NEVER know who you will meet!

Used to live in Colorado after graduating, took a year off to go snowboarding, and I used to get people coming into my ski rental shop with the WAR EAGLE's. My buddies that I worked with were all from out west and they thoughht that was so weird that people that you did not even know would speak to you about a football thing. I told them it was not all about football but it was a common thread that all AU people knew and it made us special. I give War Eagles as well, I see AU gear or a logo and I will go out of my way to give' em a big ole WAR EAGLE.............my wife tells me I am over the top but I know what it means to be an Auburn man, although she is a fan she did not go to or graduate from Auburn!

Also..........you know the reason you may not see UAT garb at Disney is the fact that there is a dress code! Just a Thought! WAR EAGLE!

Archived