Don Shula takes another swipe at Saban

DKW 86

http://www.benmaller.com/archives/2007/may...h_dolphins.html

Nothing new, but the anger is still there obviously.

Shula: Saban told blatant lies with Dolphins

Monday, May 28, 2007

Don Shula, Hall of Fame coach of the Miami Dolphins, called Alabama's Nick Saban a liar during a Fox Sports Radio Interview.

“I think he’s burned all his bridges. He came in here and said a lot of things and none of them were true. They were just found out to be blatant lies. He goes and does something completely opposite of what he said he was going to do," Shula said in response to a question about Saban making amends with the Dolphins.

Shula accused Saban of working behind his son's back for the Bama job: "He (Saban) was here for two years. He was 15-17 in those two years so he didn’t fulfill the promises that he made when he left LSU to come here. And then his agent and the people that were talking to Alabama on the sly when my son Mike was up there. I found out a lot about that also, so there aren’t a lot of good thoughts I have about Saban.”

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I try to look at this objectivly because I think that maybe I would act differently if I was a Bama fan

But

Why do Bama fans get so worked up about this? Do they really expect him to be nice with the way he left the school and hired Saban?

Listen, Shula should have been fired. I agree. Hiring Saban is a HUGE, HUGE upgrade....but the way it went down....I would be very angry if I was Shula's dad.

I just went over the BamaMag.com site and they have a thread about it and it seems like everyone is acting shocked at why he would be angry. Really? You don't know? I think everyone of those posters would be saying the same thing if that was there son.

I know I sure would

The problem is, everytime one of Don's sons gets fired...he uses his status to attack the organization for years. And I think it's a conflict of interest.

Sure, I think I'd be upset if it was my son. And I'm not shocked that he's got things to say about it. But for him to act like every coach in the world doesn't do what Saban did is insane.

Mike Shula would have been fired. Don Shula should realize that considering he was a coah who won a few games.

The problem is, everytime one of Don's sons gets fired...he uses his status to attack the organization for years. And I think it's a conflict of interest.

Sure, I think I'd be upset if it was my son. And I'm not shocked that he's got things to say about it. But for him to act like every coach in the world doesn't do what Saban did is insane.

Mike Shula would have been fired. Don Shula should realize that considering he was a coah who won a few games.

No, every coach in the world doesn't do what Saban did. If every coach did it, there would have been no national outrage at his deceit. I can't think of a single coach EVER who has issued such vociferous denials and then turned around and made an ass of himself by being discovered doing the very things he adamantly denied he'd done. On Law and Order that makes him a perp.

No, every coach in the world doesn't do what Saban did. If every coach did it, there would have been no national outrage at his deceit. I can't think of a single coach EVER who has issued such vociferous denials and then turned around and made an ass of himself by being discovered doing the very things he adamantly denied he'd done. On Law and Order that makes him a perp.

Pine Box.

Pine Box.

We've discussed this multiple times. There is a difference between comments along the lines of "I hope to be here until I retire or die" or "I intend to be here for years to come" and making explicit denials regarding a particular school or job. "I'm not going to be the Alabama head coach" is in the latter category.

Pine Box.

It doesn't fit, you must acquit.

Pine Box.

Whoa, discussion over. The trump card has been played.

Wow BG, did you think of that all by yourself? I feel sorry for your bammers that can't tell the difference in a general statement a coach makes about hoping to be at a school for a long time and one in which a coach names a particular school that he will not be coaching at, especially when he says it over and over for weeks.

I also find it funny how you bammers will not admit that Saban was pimping himself out to UAT before the Dolphins season was over. As far as all coaches doing it, G2 hit the nail on the head in response to that comment. Saban lied to the Dolphins and then he bailed on them because apparently he did not think he was good enough of a coach to overcome his first two years as a failure. Leaving a head coaching job in the NFL to take a college coaching job sure does not look good on a resume if you ask me. Has to make you wonder how quickly he will bail on UAT when things do not go as planned. Oh wait, I forgot, he is the second coming of Bear Bryant.

Actually, the "Pine Box" comment was only partially quoted. What he said was, "The only way I'm leaving Ole Miss is in a pine box big enough to carry the cash that I've been offered by Auburn to bring them out of the Bowden mess they've gotten themselves into."

There just wasn't enough room in the article for the full quote. :big:

We've discussed this multiple times. There is a difference between comments along the lines of "I hope to be here until I retire or die" or "I intend to be here for years to come" and making explicit denials regarding a particular school or job. "I'm not going to be the Alabama head coach" is in the latter category.

Semantics.

Disregarding Saban's "I am not going to coach at Alabama" statements, I can understand Papa Shula being upset if other allegations around the Shula fire/Saban hire were true. These are only allegations that have circulated before and I can't confirm or deny their veracity, but:

1) If it's true that Saban has his agent talking to Bama as far back as the Tennessee game, and therefore undercutting Mike Shula's position, I'd be PO'ed if I were Don.

2) If Mike was kept hanging in limbo over several days, or if he was led to believe he would keep his job even up to his last team meeting, I'd be PO'ed if I were Don.

Again, however, I can't confirm either of these happened, but both have been circulated through the rumor mills...

Semantics.

No, Level Of Detail. Statements like "I"m the coach of __________ and intend to be for a long, long time" or "I plan on being here until I die" are typical coachspeak. Saying "I'm not going to be the _________ coach" is a whole other level of detail. Add to that the utter indignation and contempt with which he said it...as if the reporters were impuning his character by asking the question and you've got a much more egregrous act.

Semantics.

Okay, BG. How's this for semantics.

You ask me if I am interested in your wife.

I say "I'm committed to my wife and I intend to stay with her as long as she'll have me." I might find your wife attractive. I might even take a shot at her if I she initiated the contact and I was available. But at the present time, I'm with my wife and that kind of talk is premature.

You ask Saban if he is interested in your wife.

He says "I don't even know your wife. I've never talked to your wife. I resent you asking such a ridiculous question. How many times do I have to say it? I am not interested in your wife in any way, shape or form." At the word form, he pounds the podium with his hand and the material covering it falls away, revealing your wife on her knees under the platform.

Semantics.

Semantics.

I say "I'm committed to my wife and I intend to stay with her as long as she'll have me." I might find your wife attractive. I might even take a shot at her if I she initiated the contact and I was available. But at the present time, I'm with my wife and that kind of talk is premature.

You ask Saban Mike Price if he is interested in your wife.

He says "I don't even know your wife. I've never talked to your wife. I resent you asking such a ridiculous question. How many times do I have to say it? I am not interested in your wife in any way, shape or form." At the word form, he pounds the podium with his hand and the material covering it falls away, revealing your wife on her knees under the platform.

Semantics.

Semantics.

Semantics.

Oh.....my.....God. :roflol:

Semantics.

This might be Classics material.

No, Level Of Detail. Statements like "I"m the coach of __________ and intend to be for a long, long time" or "I plan on being here until I die" are typical coachspeak. Saying "I'm not going to be the _________ coach" is a whole other level of detail. Add to that the utter indignation and contempt with which he said it...as if the reporters were impuning his character by asking the question and you've got a much more egregrous act.

Saying, "I'm not leaving Ole Miss. The only way I'm leaving here is if they carry me out in a pine box." Is the same as what Saban said.

Besides, Saban did say about 1,000 times "I plan to stay here". He was asked every day for a month. He was trying to deflect the attention from him so his team could focus. So he FINALLY said, because they wouldnt shut up, "I'm not going to be the coach at Alabama".

You guy sit on your high horse like you wouldn't do the same thing. If your jobs were as public as Saban's, you mean to tell me you wouldn't deny interviewing for another job? KNOWING you'd get fired if your current employer thought you were truly shopping around?

Easy when you don't have to be in their shoes huh?

Your Boss: "Titan, I heard you interviewed with the Acme company yesterday"

Titan: "No sir, as a matter of fact, I'm completely happy here. The only way I'm leaving here is if it's in a pine box"

1 week later you bolt for the Acme company. How is that any different?

To sum up...you guys are saying that someone saying "I'm not leaving HERE" is a teeny little white lie...and not bad at all. But saying "I'm not going THERE" is a huge character problem and makes you a bad person.

Good to know.

Semantics.

Semantics.

it depends... How ugly is your wife?? how hot is the other wife?? and how big is the other wife's husband??

Saying, "I'm not leaving Ole Miss. The only way I'm leaving here is if they carry me out in a pine box." Is the same as what Saban said.

Besides, Saban did say about 1,000 times "I plan to stay here". He was asked every day for a month. He was trying to deflect the attention from him so his team could focus. So he FINALLY said, because they wouldnt shut up, "I'm not going to be the coach at Alabama".

You guy sit on your high horse like you wouldn't do the same thing. If your jobs were as public as Saban's, you mean to tell me you wouldn't deny interviewing for another job? KNOWING you'd get fired if your current employer thought you were truly shopping around?

Easy when you don't have to be in their shoes huh?

Your Boss: "Titan, I heard you interviewed with the Acme company yesterday"

Titan: "No sir, as a matter of fact, I'm completely happy here. The only way I'm leaving here is if it's in a pine box"

1 week later you bolt for the Acme company. How is that any different?

To sum up...you guys are saying that someone saying "I'm not leaving HERE" is a teeny little white lie...and not bad at all. But saying "I'm not going THERE" is a huge character problem and makes you a bad person.

Good to know.

CTT made the pine box comment at a AM sports talk remote site in Oxford surrounded by drunk rebel fans. Sabahr denied the Bama job from a podium on more than one occasion. You tell me which is worse?

Semantics.

Yes it's semantics. Because both scenarios result in you leaving your wife for another.

CTT made the pine box comment at a AM sports talk remote site in Oxford surrounded by drunk rebel fans. Sabahr denied the Bama job from a podium on more than one occasion. You tell me which is worse?

Again, I ask...what would you do? Would you tell your boss that you are looking around, especially if you knew you weren't guranteed the next job?

And are you saying that what determines whether or not a lie is bad...is how many people hear it?

No but the drunken environment might lead me to make a comment like that.

Name me one coach in the NFL that has done the same thing Sabahr did at Miami.

I can't. Moving from the NFL to college when your job is secure, is fairly unprecedented.

I can't. Moving from the NFL to college when your job is secure, is fairly unprecedented.

Even better, name a NFL coach that flat out lied about another NFL job? You can't do that either.

Even better, name a NFL coach that flat out lied about another NFL job? You can't do that either.

Possibly. I don't follow NFL coaching. I can name TONS of college coaches who have. Including your own.

Archived