Don Shula takes another swipe at Saban

DKW 86

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, Level Of Detail. Statements like "I"m the coach of __________ and intend to be for a long, long time" or "I plan on being here until I die" are typical coachspeak. Saying "I'm not going to be the _________ coach" is a whole other level of detail. Add to that the utter indignation and contempt with which he said it...as if the reporters were impuning his character by asking the question and you've got a much more egregrous act.

Saying, "I'm not leaving Ole Miss. The only way I'm leaving here is if they carry me out in a pine box." Is the same as what Saban said.

Besides, Saban did say about 1,000 times "I plan to stay here". He was asked every day for a month. He was trying to deflect the attention from him so his team could focus. So he FINALLY said, because they wouldnt shut up, "I'm not going to be the coach at Alabama".

You guy sit on your high horse like you wouldn't do the same thing. If your jobs were as public as Saban's, you mean to tell me you wouldn't deny interviewing for another job? KNOWING you'd get fired if your current employer thought you were truly shopping around?

Easy when you don't have to be in their shoes huh?

Your Boss: "Titan, I heard you interviewed with the Acme company yesterday"

Titan: "No sir, as a matter of fact, I'm completely happy here. The only way I'm leaving here is if it's in a pine box"

1 week later you bolt for the Acme company. How is that any different?

To sum up...you guys are saying that someone saying "I'm not leaving HERE" is a teeny little white lie...and not bad at all. But saying "I'm not going THERE" is a huge character problem and makes you a bad person.

Good to know.

Is a teeny little white lie like being a little pregnant? If it's a lie, isn't it a lie? Are you trying to say there are good lies and bad lies?

Is a teeny little white lie like being a little pregnant? If it's a lie, isn't it a lie? Are you trying to say there are good lies and bad lies?

Absolutely not, I'm saying it's he same scenario.

No, every coach in the world doesn't do what Saban did. If every coach did it, there would have been no national outrage at his deceit. I can't think of a single coach EVER who has issued such vociferous denials and then turned around and made an ass of himself by being discovered doing the very things he adamantly denied he'd done. On Law and Order that makes him a perp.

Pine Box.

It doesn't fit, you must acquit.

chewbacca.jpg

The problem is, everytime one of Don's sons gets fired...he uses his status to attack the organization for years. And I think it's a conflict of interest.

When else did Don do this?

Sure, I think I'd be upset if it was my son. And I'm not shocked that he's got things to say about it. But for him to act like every coach in the world doesn't do what Saban did is insane.

Mike Shula would have been fired. Don Shula should realize that considering he was a coah who won a few games

Though I agree that Shula knew he was maybe going to be fired, Shula got the raw end of a deal with the Bama Upper Admin...the way they handled the search with Saban with Shula there was poor

I know you know this....

When else did Don do this?

When David got fired from Cincy, he made it his single goal in life to trash that organization for about 2 years.

Though I agree that Shula knew he was maybe going to be fired, Shula got the raw end of a deal with the Bama Upper Admin...the way they handled the search with Saban with Shula there was poor

I don't know this. Because it wasn't a given that Shula was going to be fired. Shula was given a chance to suggest changes and he told them he was going to retain everyone...basically because he wanted to keep calling plays.

Then we didn't even offer Saban first. We offered Rodriguez. So how could we have done Shula wrong with Saban?

When slick nick is fired, or leaves for a better job (See FifthChoiceOne),

will the uat faithful defend him or turn on him as they have flipper?

When slick nick is fired, or leaves for a better job (See FifthChoiceOne),

will the uat faithful defend him or turn on him as they have flipper?

So you think Mike Shula was a great coach and sould have been retained?

No, every coach in the world doesn't do what Saban did. If every coach did it, there would have been no national outrage at his deceit. I can't think of a single coach EVER who has issued such vociferous denials and then turned around and made an ass of himself by being discovered doing the very things he adamantly denied he'd done. On Law and Order that makes him a perp.

Pine Box.

Weak comparison. Very weak.

It's high time Don Shula shut his whore mouth and moved on. The next team that shows interest in Mike will take note of these comments and could be less likely to give him a second chance.

He's hurting Mike. He might not know it, but he is.

It's high time Don Shula shut his whore mouth and moved on. The next team that shows interest in Mike will take note of these comments and could be less likely to give him a second chance.

He's hurting Mike. He might not know it, but he is.

Maybe Mike doesn't care...I sure wouldn't if I was treated like he was

Mike cares, he just doesn't see what Pappy is doing to him. Just like he didn't see our starting RT get whipped on play after play. Coincidence?

If I am a GM or AD, I think long and hard about hiring Mike Shula as head coach. If (or, when) he doesn't pan out, do you really want Don all in the media dissing your program? Although I've gotten some good laughter out of it at Don's expense, I don't particularly like to see our name raked through the mud in the media.

With that said, I have immense respect for Mike and wish him nothing but the best. I really hate to see his dad potentially ruin his still young career by running his yap.

How do you know that Mike isn't furious with the way he was fired?

If Mike had no problem with it, I doubt Don would constantly being going after Alabama. Though it's easy to say "It's just Don being Don"....I don't buy it...he obviously knows his son was hurt

Lemme be clear: Mike is hurt. Very hurt. And, rightfully so. Even though I'm thankful that he's gone, I can't blame him for being ticked off at the way we handled the situation.

However, Don's recent diarrhea of the mouth isn't going to help his son find another job. I bet Don would be great pals with Mitch Mustain's mom, huh?

The way Mike coached I'm sure he's pissed everytime he's fired. He coached Alabama for 4 years without making a single adjustment. He REFUSED to change his approach and refused to admit he was wrong.

He could have gone 0-12 and would still not understand why he was fired.

BG, I mean...come on...you sat here on this site and for 365 days pointed to everyone about his record getting better/better/better for three straight years. You obviously thought he was making some good changes....now, you also never said he was great...not saying that....but I don't believe that Bama fans can sit here and act like they thought he was terrible all the time in his tenure.

Now, do I agree he sucked? Yes....but, he was also screwed in the process of being fired, imo. He got treated like dirt.

BG, I mean...come on...you sat here on this site and for 365 days pointed to everyone about his record getting better/better/better for three straight years. You obviously thought he was making some good changes....now, you also never said he was great...not saying that....but I don't believe that Bama fans can sit here and act like they thought he was terrible all the time in his tenure.

Now, do I agree he sucked? Yes....but, he was also screwed in the process of being fired, imo. He got treated like dirt.

What's funny is that GG told them throughout the 10-2 season how things were. And they roundly rebuked GG. Now I'm telling them how things are again and it's nothing but rebuke.

So everyone in the world is allowed the benefit of hindsight EXCEPT Bama fans?

Why do you all keep ignoring my point? He wasn't going to be fired...until he sat there and refused to make any changes. He refused to shake up his offensive coaching staff, he refused to fire the worst oline coach on the planet. All because he said there was nothing wrong.

Why do you ignore the fact that his players had no respect for him? When asked about him leaving, many of his players said they were happy he was gone. Why did Mike Shula not even know all the names of the players on his team?

Why did CMS refuse to discipline his players? Why did he lose to MSU? Why did his teams get wose as the season went on?

Why why why is it ALABAMA's fault for firing a guy who refused to require his player to lift weights?

Hindsight, is 20/20. The last year put the whole thing into perspective. Things we learned during the last year of Shula's tenure shed a different light on the first 3 years.

And his staunch refusal to make any changes...or even acknowledge there was a problem, is why he got fired.

Were the players really happy to see him gone? Got any links? I ask for links because I really would be interested to see what they said....

Why did Mike Shula BEAR BRYANT not even know all the names of the players on his team?

I fixed that for those of us who ever chuckled through one of his abysmal Sunday post-game shows.

As for the rest of your points, you can't peddle the "he wasn't going to be fired until he refused to make changes" story here. I know that's not true.

Were the players really happy to see him gone? Got any links? I ask for links because I really would be interested to see what they said....

i did see some articles in the MPR and Pensacola News Journal stating that they were glad to see change, that it made them feel better about their chances, etc etc. i can't find links to them though, so if you choose to believe me is of course up to you.

Why do you all keep ignoring my point? He wasn't going to be fired...until he sat there and refused to make any changes.

And his staunch refusal to make any changes...or even acknowledge there was a problem, is why he got fired.

Wasn't Slick Nick initially approached by some of the crimson mafia prior to the end of the season with the intent of gauging his interest in the job? This is what I've heard from extremely reliable sources, and it doesn't seem to jive with what you are saying here. It appears Flipper (God, I love that name) was canned before the season ended. I've heard this from several folks, btw.

Just sayin'....

Unfortunately, I don't have any links. This comes diectly from a few friends of mine who are still in school. They hang out with a lot of these guys and go to football parties.

Wasn't Slick Nick initially approached by some of the crimson mafia prior to the end of the season with the intent of gauging his interest in the job? This is what I've heard from extremely reliable sources, and it doesn't seem to jive with what you are saying here. It appears Flipper (God, I love that name) was canned before the season ended. I've heard this from several folks, btw.

Actually, Saban's agent contacted Mal Moore first. But still, guaging interest doesn't mean Shula was fired before the season was over. It's due dilligence.

Archived