Darvin Adams CLOSE to Commiting

metafour

Looks like the next commit might be from Georgia WR Darvin Adams. We've been his favorite for quite a while now and he had another strong showing in front of coaches at our first passing camp. He apparently almost committed on the spot today so it could be just a matter of time.

From what I've heard expect Damion Allen to finish elsewhere.

What to expect in February from what I've been told....

WR: Darvin Adams

WR: Harry Adams

WR: Big-name or someone who we really like (think DeAndre Brown level)

WR/ATH: Thearon Collier (WR/KR tweener).

Why are we going after so many WR's?

Did you watch a game last season?

Yes, but we have some younger guys that will get some playing time this year. I would think that our biggest need is in the secondary.

Did you watch a game last season?

Yep...

But, Question for you.

You think the lack of big plays from Auburn was due to no WR's that could get past anyone downfield or a QB that has limited arm strength?

I think it is both but I would like some other opinions.

You think the lack of big plays from Auburn was due to no WR's that could get past anyone downfield or a QB that has limited arm strength?

Unless you think Cox's arm somehow got weaker between '05 and '06, don't the '06 receivers have to take the blame?

Unless you think Cox's arm somehow got weaker between '05 and '06, don't the '06 receivers have to take the blame?

Cox was injured for the majority of the '06 season and quite frankly he was terrible. Even when healthy I dont think that Cox is anymore than a slightly above average QB, but the way he played last year was terrible. He could barely make any passes and lost total control many times.

I don't know the stat's right off hand, but I think I remember the lack of down the field threats really hurting Auburn in '05 too...last threats we had to go deep was in '04 if I remember correctly.

I don't know the stat's right off hand, but I think I remember the lack of down the field threats really hurting Auburn in '05 too...last threats we had to go deep was in '04 if I remember correctly.

In '04 we had a QB that could throw the deep ball.

ITs good news, the one thing that Auburn has been missing is long ball. We don't spread the field very often so its 4 yards at a time football and that wears down a team quick if its your only option.

Look at Arkansas last year, if they had any real passing attack to speak of they would have played in the NC. But they couldn't pass the ball so teams could work to neutralize the run game and let the passing game go one on one.

We need down field threat to make our running game work better. If they don't know which way we are going to feed the ball it is much better for our offense.

In '04 we had a QB that could throw the deep ball.

That was my point...even with the same recievers in '05, we had little down field threat.

Cox was injured for the majority of the '06 season and quite frankly he was terrible. Even when healthy I dont think that Cox is anymore than a slightly above average QB, but the way he played last year was terrible. He could barely make any passes and lost total control many times.

B) It was a tough season for Cox but I truly believe that talent wise, he is one of the best in the conference. He has all of the tools and when he is healthy and in sync--he's great. I feel like he's much better than average and he is poised for a stellar season. The problem this season is that we lost a lot of depth--esp. special teams--that could help take some pressure off. I feel like if our O-Line and receivers step up, it will be his best.

Either the coaching staff has some kind of problem with putting in Fields or any other QB OR they know something we don't. Because Cox just wasn't himself last year and we didn't seem to have a plan B.

• 1 month later...

Scout reporting he narrowed his list to two...Are we still in the hunt?

Us and UT. One advantge we have is that he's camped with us every year since the 9th grade. He loves CTT and staff.

You do realize we had either the #1 or #2 ranked offense in the SEC in 2005, even after losing Jason, Ronnie and Caddy to the pros, don't you?

You do realize we had either the #1 or #2 ranked offense in the SEC in 2005, even after losing Jason, Ronnie and Caddy to the pros, don't you?

I thought we were #1 in total offense in 05' as well.

I thought we were #1 in total offense in 05' as well.

Comparison: 2004 vs 2005 Auburn Offense

Scoring

2004: 32.08 points per game

2005: 32.17

Passing

2004: 237.4 yds per game, 14.63 yards per completion

2005: 215.8 ypg, 13.28 ypc

Rushing

2004: 183.31 yds per game

2005: 194.08 yds per game

Total Offense

2004: 420.7 ypg

2005: 409.8 ypg

Wow. Just under 11 yds difference per game, about 20 yds less passing per game and slightly more scoring. Yeah, we had lots of problems that year because Brandon couldn't keep defenses from crowding the line with the deep ball.

Well its not fair to put all of the blame on the receivers

Brandon's arm strength did go down from '05 to '06...only it wasn't really his arm, it was his legs that he couldnt plant and land on. '06 was partly the receivers fault and Brandon's knee injuries really slowed us down as well.

'05- Brandon healthy, great receivers, awesome results

'06- Brandon hurt, good/decent receivers, bad results

'07- ?????

Well its not fair to put all of the blame on the receivers

Brandon's arm strength did go down from '05 to '06...only it wasn't really his arm, it was his legs that he couldnt plant and land on. '06 was partly the receivers fault and Brandon's knee injuries really slowed us down as well.

'05- Brandon healthy, great receivers, awesome results

'06- Brandon hurt, good/decent receivers, bad results

'07- ?????

I wouldn't say the results were bad. We had a better season in 06 (bowl victory and extra victory thanks to 12th game). Tho the two losses were quite ugly

There's really no one person to blame for the offensive woes last year. The lack of a deep threat was a combination of an underacheiving o-line,young receivers who couldn't play off press coverage, and a lack of a viable #2 QB who could have allowed Brandon some bench time so that he could overcome his injuries. Brandon was FANTASTIC during A-day. He isn't good enough to CARRY this team on his own, but if he can stay healthy and get some help from his supporting cast, this offense should be fine. Personally, there are few QBs I would trade Brandon for at this point. I feel GREAT about going into the season with him.

Dont forget about the loss of Marcus McNeil (who helped LT to TD record) and a injury plagued KI.

Archived