Gators in Peril

Guest Tigrinum Major

Guest Tigrinum Major

The highest paid combo in America brings the hammer down

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Two University of Florida athletes were suspended indefinitely Tuesday following their arrests for reportedly buying marijuana from a police informant.

According to police reports obtained by newspapers in Gainesville and Tampa, tailback Brandon James and reserve basketball guard Brandon Powell were arrested by Gainesville police during a reverse sting. Neither athlete has been charged.

According to the report obtained by the Tampa Tribune, Powell arranged a meeting with the informant by telephone. Powell and James then met the informant and purchased .8 grams of marijuana for $20, according to details in the report. The sale was recorded on video and audio, the Tribune reported.

James dropped the marijuana when approached by police, the report stated, according to the Tribune.

"We are aware of the situation and understand the severity of its nature," Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley said in a statement Tuesday. "This is not something we take lightly. Both coaches [football's Urban Meyer and basketball's Billy Donovan] have informed me that the players involved have been suspended indefinitely and we will continue to follow the procedures in addressing this."

James, a sophomore, is considered the Gators' top kick returner. He averaged 11 yards per punt return and 18 yards on kickoff returns as a freshman.

Powell averaged four minutes and 1.6 points a game as a freshman during Florida's second straight national championship season. Powell also was in the news in February for allegedly throwing a punch as Vanderbilt celebrated on its home court following an 83-70 victory over the Gators.

Powell was considered one of the better perimeter defenders on Donovan's 2006-07 team, but his status on the depth chart will be challenged by the arrival of guards Nick Calathes and Jai Lucas and returning guard Walter Hodge.

Information from ESPN.com senior writer Andy Katz was used in this report.

I'm just wondering how much time and money was put into arresting two guys for .8 grams of weed. Now if it was heroin or something deadly, I can understand(maybe), but it just seems to me like a total waste of resources to put together a sting operation for that. There have to be some worse things happening in Gainesville.

I'm just wondering how much time and money was put into arresting two guys for .8 grams of weed. Now if it was heroin or something deadly, I can understand(maybe), but it just seems to me like a total waste of resources to put together a sting operation for that. There have to be some worse things happening in Gainesville.

C'mon now, you know it's the gateway drug. :punk:

Oh, baloney. LOL. The DEA always says that when they're trying to buy new helicopters. It's almost as big a lie as the "Estimated Street Value."

Oh, baloney. LOL. The DEA always says that when they're trying to buy new helicopters. It's almost as big a lie as the "Estimated Street Value."

No doubt.

It's too perilous

Can I have just a little peril?

NO!

Bet you're gay.

good hustle

Can't let the Python ref slip by. I, too, would have volunteered for all the peril that Zoot and her minions could dream up.

i doubt they were targeting just those two people. it was an undercover sting where they were basically just trying to catch anything that bit.

i doubt they were targeting just those two people. it was an undercover sting where they were basically just trying to catch anything that bit.

I'm sure it wasn't just these two they were going after, but come on. .8 grams is nothing. Spend your time going after some real criminals. Not someone in a victimless crime, unless you think a pizza and a bag of chips is the victim here.

It's too perilous

NO!

Bet you're gay.

good hustle

Can't let the Python ref slip by. I, too, would have volunteered for all the peril that Zoot and her minions could dream up.

Bad, wicked, evil, naughty Zoot.

Another pathetic waste of your tax dollars.

Meanwhile the rapist gets early release because the guy caught with a roach in his ashtray is serving a mandatory sentence.

It's too perilous

NO!

Bet you're gay.

good hustle

You must spank her. And then you must spank me! (And Me! Me, too!) Yes, you must spank us all. And after the spankings....the oral sex.

I'm sure it wasn't just these two they were going after, but come on. .8 grams is nothing. Spend your time going after some real criminals. Not someone in a victimless crime, unless you think a pizza and a bag of chips is the victim here.

Really! How much time, money, and paperwork was involved in processing these two that could have been spent chasing real crooks? The DEA may have a hard on for this sort of thing, but I bet most local cops wouldn't even want to fool with the paperwork for 0.8 grams.

Another pathetic waste of your tax dollars.

Meanwhile the rapist gets early release because the guy caught with a roach in his ashtray is serving a mandatory sentence.

My sentiments exactly. :angryfire:

It's too perilous

NO!

Bet you're gay.

good hustle

You must spank her. And then you must spank me! (And Me! Me, too!) Yes, you must spank us all. And after the spankings....the oral sex.

Well ... perhaps I could stay a bit longer.

Archived