War Damn Les Miles!

DKW 86

Yeah and then the other day out in Arizona, some big shot talk radio guy went OFF on him and the SEC.

They got on, yet again, the argument that LSU plays La Tech. The age old "weak OOC schedules in the SEC". Why do people CONSTANTLY ignore the fact that SEC teams have to play 6-7 top 25 teams in their conference schedule?

Pac10 guys might play 2. But hey, USC plays Notre Dame. So an SEC team that plays 6 ranked teams still gets blasted even though their schedule is ranked top 5. I don't get it.

I love how they go over these schedules and they are like "in the PAC10 you have to play tough road games like Washington State and Oregon". Why do you try so hard to pump up those teams in the pac 10 and then just blow over a schedule that has Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Arkansas, UT?

Makes no sense to me.

I don't understand how anyone associated with the Pac-10 can bash an SEC football schedule. So what if USC plays Notre Dame, when was the last time the Irish did something of relevance. Also, not like any of the Pac-10 teams don't play weak OOC teams like San Jose State, Idaho or La Tech. I do wish that the SEC would quit playing 1-AA teams but I doubt that will stop anytime soon.

Doug Segrest on Miles:

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/ds....xml&coll=2

Just a few months ago, Les Miles seemed to be an unimposing fellow.

Miles somehow managed to misguide an LSU team with the most talent in the SEC to a pair of regular-season losses and a bridesmaid finish in the Western Division.

Then he reaped a whirlwind, routing Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl and rounding up a recruiting class for the ages. To top things off, his predecessor was hired at Alabama

Thanks to Nick Saban, Miles became a man of the people, a modern-day Huey Long in a state with allegiance to just one college football program.

He's only solidified his status since then, popping off whenever appearing in public like a politico on the stump in Iowa.

He F-bombed Alabama before boosters in Baton Rouge. He disparaged Saban at another gathering in the Big Easy.

Now the mouth hath roared again.

This time, the potshot was aimed toward the West Coast and the alleged inferiority of Pac-10 football. On the possibility of an LSU-USC matchup in the BCS title game next January, Miles pondered aloud whether the Trojans would even be worthy of the game.

"I can tell you this, that they have a much easier road to travel," he said. "They're going to play real knockdown, drag-outs with UCLA, Washington, Cal-Berkeley, Stanford - some real juggernauts - and they're going to end up ... in the title (game).

"I would like that path for us. I think the SEC provides much stiffer competition."

Forget football coach. It's time to anoint Les Miles SEC czar.

Who can dispute him? The SEC finished the 2006 season with half its membership in the final AP top 25. In the NFL Draft, 11 of the 32 first-round picks came from the league.

Miles knows what he's talking about, too. He coached in the Big 12. He's from Big Ten country.

The only fair solution to the BCS quandary, Miles said, is an eight-team playoff. Only there would be one sticking problem, if a playoff were done right.

"There'd probably be at least four SEC teams in the top eight."

USC's Pete Carroll would be shaking in his coaching Nikes. If only this were 2006.

But it's not. USC has the more polished quarterback in John David Booty and a couple of imposing non-conference games against Nebraska and Notre Dame, both on the road, to prove its mettle. Inside the Pac-10, there are enough threats to derail the dynasty again.

The Pac-10 is on the rise. The SEC's domination is so last year.

In the SEC West, Auburn must retool its defense, Alabama must rebuild a reputation and Arkansas is imploding from a family feud. Meanwhile, LSU must replace the best offensive coordinator in the conference.

Across the East-West divide, Florida must defend its national title with Tim Tebow carrying the load at quarterback instead of providing the occasional wrinkle.

Before LSU embarks on a favorable SEC schedule that brings Florida, Auburn and Arkansas to Deaf Valley, it must defeat Virginia Tech in a Sept. 8 intersectional battle or see its national title hopes derailed.

The BCS championship is set for Jan. 7. Chances are Pete Carroll will be there. He needs not apologize.

My preference has always been an 8-team playoff myself. Pair the top eight teams in the four major New Year's Day Bowls, followed in successive weeks by semi-finals and finals.

Archived