2. Boise State (3) 59

3. Nevada 45

4. Fresno State 40

5. San Jose State 39

6. New Mexico State 31

7. Louisiana Tech 25

8. Utah State 13

9. Idaho 10

A quick comment on Boise State. The reality of how their program would compete against teams from the power conferences was the Georgia game back in 05. I hope the "smurf turf" Broncos go 12-0 this year, get selected for a BCS bowl game, and then get their :moon: handed to them by a team that actually takes them seriously.

Look, I'm all for a feel good story as the next guy. And Boise State was the ultimate feel good story of last season. I'm glad they beat OU. I thought it was cool how their Running Back proposed to his girlfriend after the game. However, all this incessant chatter about how Boise State deserved a shot at the title has permanently soured the feel good story for me. When they run the table in a real conference, then I will entertain any argument the "smurf turf" Broncos may have.

A quick comment on Boise State. The reality of how their program would compete against teams from the power conferences was the Georgia game back in 05. I hope the "smurf turf" Broncos go 12-0 this year, get selected for a BCS bowl game, and then get their :moon: handed to them by a team that actually takes them seriously.

Look, I'm all for a feel good story as the next guy. And Boise State was the ultimate feel good story of last season. I'm glad they beat OU. I thought it was cool how their Running Back proposed to his girlfriend after the game. However, all this incessant chatter about how Boise State deserved a shot at the title has permanently soured the feel good story for me. When they run the table in a real conference, then I will entertain any argument the "smurf turf" Broncos may have.

That sounds like pure bammie logic: "They're no good because they have no established record against power conferences. How dare they compare themselves to the elite teams?" Comparing BSU's loss to UGA in 2005 is like comparing AU's losses to SC in 2002 & 2003 and saying AU has no chance to compete in the PAC-10. When CTT went looking for a new OC after the 2003 season, then BSU OC (now HC) Chris Petersen made the short list. Leave the elitist snob behavior for the bammies.

They've only moved up to Div-1A in the last 10 years or so. Joining the WAC was the best they could do. It's not like the BCS conferences are jumping at chances to add new members. BSU has done remarkable in the short time they've been Div-1A. In order to play big name schools, they either have to go on the road during the regular season or play them in a bowl game. They smacked OU in the mouth from the opening kickoff last year all the way to their improbable comeback OT win in the Fiesta Bowl. I'm trying to think of another team not in the NFL capable of coming back & winning the way they did last year -- SC, OSU, UF, Mich ... nope. BSU is good team & well coached.

Let me preface this by saying I am one of the avid supporters of a playoff system and I fully believe that the only way to prove it is on the field, period. Why? Because there is no possible way to truly compare (Just as a for instance) Georgia Tech to Texas Tech or Oregon or BYU etc. They don;t play in the same leagues. They don't play the similar schedules. They probably have few, if any, common opponents. So, how can you say how one team matches up with another? You can't.

Having said that, under our current system I BELIEVE that Boise or Hawaii would slap around the Ole Misses and Miss. States and most of the time Vanderbilts of our conference. I think they'd probably have a winning record against the middle tier teams as well and hold their own against just about any team in the conference. Yes, I think they'd have the occasional day where a UGA or UF would punish them but I don't discount the possibility of them coming in here and everyone wondering what hit em'. They certainly would not get embarrased playing a full slate in the SEC or any other conference for that matter.

But then again, that's just my opinion. I heard an opposing opinion last night at a CTT speech in Auburn. He was asked if more teams would start running some Boise type gadget plays. His response was...not in this league. He said that would last for a while but Boise couldn't do that for a full season in the SEC. He said they HAVE to do that to win. Who knows? I say let's play the game and find out.

Guest Tigrinum Major

If they have no business playing for the national championship, then why are they Division 1A? For wincrimsons and grins?

So I'm obviously outnumbered by you pro Boise State national championship types.

Did I ever say that the Broncos did not belong in D-1A? No. This is a national championship debate, not a D-1A debate. That debate is reserved for the likes of Temple and others.

Boise State has beaten one top 25 team in their history. One. They don't play one of the top five major conferences. Therefore, in the current BCS system in place, they don't deserve title consideration. If college football had an 8 team playoff and Boise State finished in the top 8, then that's a different story. Unfortunately, that's not the case. I don't think it would matter anyway. Boise State would never make it past the first round. Why? Because they're too small and don't play defense. Sure, they caught on OU team asleep at the wheel last year but that was a one game deal. Any top tier team who takes them seriously will exploit their lack of size and laccerate their deplorable defense.

They are just (somehow) trying to justify Bamar's PATHETIC schedule. Let's not be diverted from that fact....

:au::homer:

Guest Tigrinum Major

So I'm obviously outnumbered by you pro Boise State national championship types.

Did I ever say that the Broncos did not belong in D-1A? No. This is a national championship debate, not a D-1A debate. That debate is reserved for the likes of Temple and others.

Boise State has beaten one top 25 team in their history. One. They don't play one of the top five major conferences. Therefore, in the current BCS system in place, they don't deserve title consideration. If college football had an 8 team playoff and Boise State finished in the top 8, then that's a different story. Unfortunately, that's not the case. I don't think it would matter anyway. Boise State would never make it past the first round. Why? Because they're too small and don't play defense. Sure, they caught on OU team asleep at the wheel last year but that was a one game deal. Any top tier team who takes them seriously will exploit their lack of size and laccerate their deplorable defense.

If they have no business playing for a national championship, then they should not be in Division 1A. Isn't that the goal?

By your logic, we should restrict the BCS to the big 5 conferences and everyone else be damned. Could they compete? I don't know. But they should be given a shot.

Just goes to show that the current system is fatally flawed.

If they have no business playing for a national championship, then they should not be in Division 1A. Isn't that the goal?

By your logic, we should restrict the BCS to the big 5 conferences and everyone else be damned. Could they compete? I don't know. But they should be given a shot.

Now that's the whole point. Why do you have a system that allows teams to be classified as D-1 but when the season begins, you basically tell 60-70% of them, "Oh by the way, we don't care if you go 13-0 and win every game by 70 points. You will not have an opportunity to play for the brass ring."

Prove it on the field.

It's not his logic, it's BCS logic. He is not saying that's the way it should be. He's saying that's the way it is.

Under the BCS system, if you forced every team that won't win the MNC out of Div 1A, then how many teams would you have left? 8-10 teams basically.

I totally agree that it's a highly suspect way of naming a "national champion." It's kind of like naming a Homecoming Queen in high school. It's based on a very few facts and a whole lot of popularity contest.

I don't think NMSU is going to do much to help our SOS when Boise and Hawaii beat them by 30 plus. That being said, they might be able to win 6 or 7 games looking at that weak schedule.

I don't think NMSU is going to do much to help our SOS when Boise and Hawaii beat them by 30 plus. That being said, they might be able to win 6 or 7 games looking at that weak schedule.

I saw that and asked myself when did Hal and the Aggies join the Pac-10.

Archived