Auburn On The Road

Earthcat

Found this article on our road record with Tubby. I say we take three of four this year.

Auburn On The Road

Posted on Monday, July 2, 2007 at 08:31AM by CFR in Phil Steele, Schedules, SEC | 3 Comments

How did Auburn go from being a good team to a title contender these last few years? There are many reasons but it's worth singling out one particular data point: road wins.

Look at Auburn's record under coach Tommy Tuberville from 2000 to 2003 for a moment. The Tigers went:

2000: 9-3

2001: 7-4

2002: 8-4

2003: 7-5

Then, something clicked, because in the next three years, they've gone:

2004: 12-0

2005: 9-2

2006: 10-2

I don't know every reason for why this happened (many aren't quantifiable), but something stood out while flipping through my Phil Steele 2007 College Football Preview.

Here is Auburn's home record in those two time periods:

2000: 7-0

2001: 5-1

2002: 5-2

2003: 5-2

Against ...

2004: 7-0

2005: 6-1

2006: 6-2

Ignoring for the moment the fact that they're playing a majority of their seasons with seven or more home games, both splits are fairly similar. Auburn tends to be a successful program at home.

Now, let us look at Auburn's road record in the same time period:

2000: 2-2

2001: 2-3

2002: 3-2

2003: 2-3

Against ...

2004: 4-0

2005: 3-1

2006: 4-0

Auburn is 11-1 on the road the last three seasons! Tommy Tuberville has clearly gone from being an average coach on the road to a dominant one. How much of that is due to a decline in road opponent strength, I don't know. Maybe opponents have improved but Auburn's improved even more. That analysis is for another day. But what a trend, no?

I've singled this out because Steele is a bit down on the Tigers this year. He has them fourth in the SEC West, ahead of only Mississippi State and Mississippi. Pehaps Steele's onto something here, but if form holds on the road for Auburn, they're going to be part king maker, part spoiler in national championship talks.

Look at Auburn's road slate this year:

@ Florida (Sept. 29)

@ Arkansas (Oct. 13)

@ LSU (Oct. 20)

@ Georgia (Nov. 10)

I'd be shocked to see Auburn go 0-4 on the road this year, so someone or several someone's are likely to have their title shot fall at home.

Who will it be?

Found this article on our road record with Tubby. I say we take three of four this year.

Auburn On The Road

Posted on Monday, July 2, 2007 at 08:31AM by CFR in Phil Steele, Schedules, SEC | 3 Comments

How did Auburn go from being a good team to a title contender these last few years? There are many reasons but it's worth singling out one particular data point: road wins.

Look at Auburn's record under coach Tommy Tuberville from 2000 to 2003 for a moment. The Tigers went:

2000: 9-3

2001: 7-4

2002: 8-4

2003: 7-5

Then, something clicked, because in the next three years, they've gone:

2004: 12-0

2005: 9-2

2006: 10-2

I don't know every reason for why this happened (many aren't quantifiable), but something stood out while flipping through my Phil Steele 2007 College Football Preview.

Here is Auburn's home record in those two time periods:

2000: 7-0

2001: 5-1

2002: 5-2

2003: 5-2

Against ...

2004: 7-0

2005: 6-1

2006: 6-2

Ignoring for the moment the fact that they're playing a majority of their seasons with seven or more home games, both splits are fairly similar. Auburn tends to be a successful program at home.

Now, let us look at Auburn's road record in the same time period:

2000: 2-2

2001: 2-3

2002: 3-2

2003: 2-3

Against ...

2004: 4-0

2005: 3-1

2006: 4-0

Auburn is 11-1 on the road the last three seasons! Tommy Tuberville has clearly gone from being an average coach on the road to a dominant one. How much of that is due to a decline in road opponent strength, I don't know. Maybe opponents have improved but Auburn's improved even more. That analysis is for another day. But what a trend, no?

I've singled this out because Steele is a bit down on the Tigers this year. He has them fourth in the SEC West, ahead of only Mississippi State and Mississippi. Pehaps Steele's onto something here, but if form holds on the road for Auburn, they're going to be part king maker, part spoiler in national championship talks.

Look at Auburn's road slate this year:

@ Florida (Sept. 29)

@ Arkansas (Oct. 13)

@ LSU (Oct. 20)

@ Georgia (Nov. 10)

I'd be shocked to see Auburn go 0-4 on the road this year, so someone or several someone's are likely to have their title shot fall at home.

Who will it be?

No one

Auburn record in 2002 was 9-4 and 8-5 in 2003

im guessing he is omitting bowl games

must be cause his records are wrong for 2004,2005, and 2006.

No sense including bowl games when talking about road wins and such...they are neutral site games.

We have zero soft touches on the road this year...a 3-1 or 4-0 road record would be out-freaking-standing.

It's hard to count bowl games as home or away because Auburn fans don't seem to travel that well. It wasnt hard getting them to nashville, and orlando wasnt too bad, but in new orleans and dallas (which is almost equidistant from auburn and lincoln) we were completely outshown (take it from a guy who was at both). But as for road wins, i would like to say one loss, but i would be content with 2 under the condition that we don't drop the ball with any of our weaksauce opponents at home (yes bammars, this includes you).

my 2 cents:

Out of the 4 away games I think a win against Arkansas is certainly possible (2006 was a good motivator). We also have a tendency to do better in Athens (all time we are 84-79-11 in GA). The Swamp is a different story (26-36 in FL); and don't even get me started on "Death Valley" (16-26-7). Does anyone know if LSU is a night game this year?

2 -2 on the road this year.

No one knows for sure when the LSU game will be, but they are known for having night games at home.

The only other good game that weekend is Bama-Tennessee. Hopefully CBS will have first pick that day and pick up LSU-Auburn.

I get confused with when CBS has their double headers and when ESPN gets first pick. Maybe someone can explain that system to me (us)?

No one knows for sure when the LSU game will be, but they are known for having night games at home.

The only other good game that weekend is Bama-Tennessee. Hopefully CBS will have first pick that day and pick up LSU-Auburn.

I get confused with when CBS has their double headers and when ESPN gets first pick. Maybe someone can explain that system to me (us)?

A little sketchy, but when CBS has a doubleheader, ESPN gets first pick the next week.

Not sure on when CBS can decide to have a DH.

That's what I thought. but like you said - I wasn't sure if it was a little more sketchy than that.

Right now, the week prior to the LSU game, Arkansas-Auburn is the only big game, so I doubt CBS would have a double header that week. Hopefully that means CBS will have the LSU-Auburn game the week after. But then again - they may not want to televise Auburn two weeks in a row, thus sending us to the night game on ESPN.

CBS Double Header is already set for Oct. 6th. Looks to be (unless something changes) Georgia vs. Tennessee followed by Florida at LSU at 7:00

CBS Tentative Schedule

Looks like we are only the backup game a few times until uat comes to town. Guess it depends on records and such but we are listed when we play Florida, then Georgia and finally uat. Looks like that leaves the auburn at LSU game for espn unless LF picks it up...

For what it's worth,

ESPN has AU-Arkansas listed as a 7pm game and AU-LSU listed as an 8pm game.

I know things could change, but that's what they're showing as of now.

The last few years the LSU game has been a 2:30 CBS kickoff earlier in the season when it's at Auburn, and a 6-7 ESPN kickoff later in the season when it's at LSU.

I wouldn't expect any different this year.

So are the boys 11-1 on the road the last 3 years? :blink:

Would be 12-0 on the road the last 3 years had it not been for 5 missed field goals.

We forgive you John Vaugn!

The last few years the LSU game has been a 2:30 CBS kickoff earlier in the season when it's at Auburn, and a 6-7 ESPN kickoff later in the season when it's at LSU.

Since we play LSwho in September when at home, its likely that we'll get the ESPN night game for that too. Jay Jacobs said he wanted all September home games to be played at night. That's good. Night games are the best, and it'll help especially against the corndogs next year.

Ryan

Since we play LSwho in September when at home, its likely that we'll get the ESPN night game for that too. Jay Jacobs said he wanted all September home games to be played at night. That's good. Night games are the best, and it'll help especially against the corndogs next year.

Ryan

Huh?

1) We play LSU on the road in October. Are you talking about next year? Since you said "when at home," I am assuming so.

2) CBS is greater than Jay Jacobs. If they want the game in the afternoon, they will get it.

my 2 cents:

Out of the 4 away games I think a win against Arkansas is certainly possible (2006 was a good motivator). We also have a tendency to do better in Athens (all time we are 84-79-11 in GA). The Swamp is a different story (26-36 in FL); and don't even get me started on "Death Valley" (16-26-7). Does anyone know if LSU is a night game this year?

Where are you getting your numbers? Auburn and LSU have not played that many games compared to what you are posting. Auburn hasn't won in Death Valley since 1999 and the Swamp since 1994 so it will those two will be really tough while Auburn does well in Athens and has won the last two in Fayetteville.

Ryan

Huh?

1) We play LSU on the road in October. Are you talking about next year? Since you said "when at home," I am assuming so.

2) CBS is greater than Jay Jacobs. If they want the game in the afternoon, they will get it.

1) Yeah, I mean 2008 when I said next year.

2) How come LSwho can get ESPN night games every time we go to BR if CBS rules all? Still just as big a game, no matter where it is played.

"Would be 12-0 on the road the last 3 years had it not been for 5 missed field goals.

We forgive you John Vaugn!"

Side note: John Vaughn is trying out for the Titans, watched him this weekend in the first preseason game against my 'Skins. I was rootin' for him, hell it's preseason. He choked on the first kick - missing a 27 yarder. He hit another one farther out later, but Tennessee has a pretty good kicker already.

With Auburn, he was great. One game does not a college career make. I don't hear much mention of the two games in a row when he hit from over 50 yards. Sorry, I remember that it happened, but I can't tell you which games.

my 2 cents:

Where are you getting your numbers? Auburn and LSU have not played that many games compared to what you are posting. Auburn hasn't won in Death Valley since 1999 and the Swamp since 1994 so it will those two will be really tough while Auburn does well in Athens and has won the last two in Fayetteville.

We are 19-21-1 all time vs. LSU ( no idea where those numbers above came from ) We are 5-12 in Baton Rouge. We are 41-38-2 all time vs. Florida and 8-23 in Gainesville. We lead UGA 53-49-8 and are 18-9 in Athens. We are 9-6-1 vs. Arkansas all time and 4-2 in Fayetteville and 1 loss in Little Rock.

I remember reading or hearing after UF lost at Auburn that they fell to 8-25 in Jordan-Hare. So between Auburn and Florida the road team has been 16-48(.250 win pct) when played at JHS or the Swamp...ouch. I'm actually looking forward to these road games, maybe Tubby will pull some more gambles out of his hat like he did in Columbia.

Archived