Is ESPN so bad?

Aufan59

It seems a lot of people aren't particularly fond of ESPN or their analysts. "They have too much power."

Is it really their fault? Isn't it the result of a flawed, opinion based sport that gives them all their power? Their CFB coverage isn't more opinionated than any of their other major sport coverage. Should we expect them to change their coverage because the sport is opinion based which gives them an influence on it? I think getting frustrated with ESPN is just a scape goat as the problem goes beyond them.

Their reporting is based on television markets. The promote the teams that pay off the most in terms of dollars brought in to ESPN. So, the teams that can make them the most money get the biggest push.

And the media influence over the polls is enormous. So you are talking about poll influence that is based on biased reporting that is based on money.

Yes, they are that bad.

Maybe I'm mellowing as I get older, but I just don't get that exercised about what ESPN's talking heads have to say...the E in ESPN is for Entertainment, not Erudition.

Snarky side note: In Lou Holtz' case, the S is for Spittle...and lots of it.

It seems a lot of people aren't particularly fond of ESPN or their analysts. "They have too much power."

Is it really their fault? Isn't it the result of a flawed, opinion based sport that gives them all their power? Their CFB coverage isn't more opinionated than any of their other major sport coverage. Should we expect them to change their coverage because the sport is opinion based which gives them an influence on it? I think getting frustrated with ESPN is just a scape goat as the problem goes beyond them.

ESPN

EVIL

SPAWNS

of the

PRINCE of the

NETHER regions.

I HATE ESPN and their damm goat.

But they aren't really the culprit. Blaming ESPN for affecting CFB is like blaming the preseason polls in '04. If getting rid of something doesn't fix the problem, then why get rid of it?

everybody rips them...

but what the Sports Animal guys here say IS true:

THEY TRY to MAKE news....

their constant routine of propping of Smith last year is what guaranteed him the Heisman if anything did!

ESPN and HBO are the two reasons every home in America subscribes to cable television. Hate ESPN if you want, but the world of sports, and my addiction to it, would be set back a generation if ESPN had never gone into business.

It's not a conspiracy, it's just entertainment.

It's not a conspiracy, it's just entertainment.

I don't think it's a conspiracy. I think it's a fatally flawed system of awarding a national champion that is extremely heavily influenced by television marketing and the almighty dollar.

I watch Espn everyday and I agree that I couldnt live without it. But over the past few years I have noticed the power that the talking heads have, they pump sunshine about the game of the week thats on abc including gameday which is the most watched college football show. Voters cant watch every game, but they do watch Espn for the highlights so yes I believe Espn can influence voters, by spending more time talking about Usc this year or Ohio state last year

If you love sports, you have to love all those events ESPN provides that we otherwise couldn't see.

If you realize the power of pop culture, ESPN's "shock jock" approach to sports journalism (not to mention it's claim to objective reporting when it's anything but) you have to realize how many lives they have the power to screw up w/ their inuendo and failure to checkout rumors before they broadcast them as fact. They also make no effort @ separating opinion from fact.

Several of ESPN's CFB "experts" HAVE VOTES in the polls and if their votes match their on the air comments, be scared...be very scared.

FWIW, ESPN does not have a monopoly on sports journalism irresponsibility. Who can forget 1983 when ABC's mustached sports guy came on the evening news after we (@ #3) beat Mich. 9-3, to announce that although both #1 & #2 lost, Auburn didn't deserve to be MNC because "national champions score touchdowns." Now THAT is the ESPN school of uninformed sports journalism...we scored loads of TDs all year long against 9 bowl teams in 1983.

Do you know how to fix this "problem"? Stop watching ESPN! If everyone that hates them would stop watching them then they would either change or go away.

But, Auburn plays on ESPN, many games you want to watch airs on ESPN every week so you "HAVE" to watch them. NO, if you really want to fix the problem then make the sacrafice and do not watch them.

Not gonna happen right?

"I don't know about you Greg, but I'm not going to just stand here while you badmouth the United States of America! Gentlemen!!!"

:au::homer:

Do you know how to fix this "problem"? Stop watching ESPN! If everyone that hates them would stop watching them then they would either change or go away.

But, Auburn plays on ESPN, many games you want to watch airs on ESPN every week so you "HAVE" to watch them. NO, if you really want to fix the problem then make the sacrafice and do not watch them.

Not gonna happen right?

The ONLY things that I watch on ESPN are boxing and the actual football games. I don't watch ANYTHING else, ESPECIALLY Game Day...or as we know it...the USC/Big Telelven/Notre (Children of the) Dam*ed Bo Bo Honking Show!!! :puke:

:au::homer:

I enjoy ESPN. I think it generally has the best sports covereage, and it is probably the best sports website as well. College Gameday is a fun show. I will admit I get ticked off when they promote a lesser football game b/c it is being played on ABC, but for those of you who think there is a conspiracy against Auburn, here is a fact for you (from this year's Auburn Media Guide): Auburn has played more games on ESPN than any other team. And last year's Auburn-Florida game was the highest rated regular season game on ESPN.

You're not seriosuly suggesting that if every AU fan on the planet never watched a second of ESPN again that that would alter ANYTHING ESPN does, are you? If so, you need to get out more my friend, we are not that big a part of even the college football watching universe, never mind ESPN's fan base in general.

Archived