Hoovergate III

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/inde....xml&coll=2

Hoover updates way grades are changed

Interim principal says new procedure sets `accountability track' Thursday, August 23, 2007ERIN STOCK and JON SOLOMONNews staff writers

Hoover High School's interim principal said Wednesday he implemented a new procedure this week for changing a student's academic record, after a senior football player's grade was changed this spring without the teacher's consent.

Ken Jarnagin, the system's chief academic officer serving as Hoover High's interim principal, said the new procedure establishes an "accountability track" and includes documenting any changes in teacher and student files. Jarnagin also will verify all grade changes and sign off on them, he said.

Former Principal Richard Bishop has said counselors made "an honest mistake" this spring when they incorrectly changed a football player's math grade from a B to an A. Forrest Quattlebaum, the player's math teacher, has said the grade was changed without his consent.

The player was Josh Chapman, now a freshman defensive tackle at the University of Alabama, The Birmingham News has reported. The change allowed the player to be eligible, Bishop said.

The grade change is one of several allegations involving academics at Hoover High that are being investigated by attorney Sam Pointer Jr. for the school system. Go ahead and give this old fool a bag of cash and a seeing eye dog. Even if he finds/trips over problems, we will never hear about it.

"I know that's a topic of discussion in the school and in the community," said Jarnagin, of the grade change. "I would just like to make sure that we are doing things as simply, but at the same time as thoroughly and accurately as possible."

Under the previous procedure, a grade could be changed through written documentation from a teacher, counselor or administrator, Quattlebaum said he was told by the registrar's office.

Jarnagin said under the new procedure, the school registrar verifies a grade change, gives it to him to verify and sign off on, and then documents the change in the student's permanent file. The teacher who assigned the grade receives the same documentation for the teacher's files, Jarnagin said.

"I think the teacher is going to have a say-so in any change, which I think is going to be beneficial," Quattlebaum said. "It gives us a little more accountability among everybody." It is a shame that a kid playing football is far more important than any academic integrity at Hoover High. Why do they have to implement these silly procedures? Because someone was bending the rules to suite someone else's objectives.

Hoover and University of Alabama officials have not said which grade will be used if they re-evaluate Chapman's eligibility. NCAA spokeswoman Jennifer Kearns declined to discuss the case.

Speaking generally, Kearns said the NCAA would look at academic credentials after an athlete is certified - as is the case with Chapman - if "questions or irregularities" arose.

Kearns said all grade changes are reviewed by the NCAA Clearinghouse and Eligibility Center to confirm changes were made in accordance with the high school's policy.

If grade changes are made "late in the game," Kearns said, the institution must file an initial eligibility waiver for the change.

"If there is evidence of academic fraud, an investigation would likely be triggered," Kearns said.

When an investigation occurs, the Eligibility Center communicates with the high school and school district to make them aware, asks them to correct the grade, and requests information about how they are addressing and preventing academic fraud from occurring in the future. Great, now the NCAA has to force integrity on to rogue high schools too.

any word on what is happening with the other 36 grades that were incorrectly rounded?

I laugh every time I hear this new attempt at bammer spin. "Yeah, they changed his grade so he could play at Alabama. So what? They also changed 36 other grades, so it's OK."

:roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

Oh man....This is heading twards 15 pages of "bammers not getting it" ...

;):rolleyes:

:roflol:

"Oh come on, officer, I know I was speeding but so was everybody else around me."

Did any of the other 36 grades have a preceding phone call from a college or university and make the students eligible for NCAA sports?

Somebody check the transcripts of the athletes on the fishing and paper, rock, scissors teams.

Did any of the other 36 grades have a preceding phone call from a college or university and make the students eligible for NCAA sports?

Kevin Steele loves to talk on the phone. I think he signed up for the rollover minutes. B)

Kevin Steele loves to talk on the phone. I think he signed up for the rollover minutes. B)

I think the first to rollover will get the best deal. <_<

070823_181455.jpg

And what was Ms. Borie's role in the whole grade changing thingy again? Oh that's right; she's the counselor that pressured K Murphy's teacher to change the grades. B)

070823_181455.jpg

And what was Ms. Borie's role in the whole grade changing thingy again? Oh that's right; she's the counselor that pressured K Murphy's teacher to change the grades. B)

Boosters + grade changes = Trouble!

At least for every other school. But the Tide will get this white washed like they normally do.

"nothing to see here...move along".... Isn't that the normal west vance reply?

dang it, just shut this program down and put it out of its mediocre misery. They have such an arrogance that they deserve to be on top and its killing them that they have been so AVERAGE (or below average) for so long. Just put them out of their misery and put them down.

any word on what is happening with the other 36 grades that were incorrectly rounded?

It took that many changes to get the other D Lineman into prep school?

Who knew?

I thought we had already established that the other 36 were changed as a diversion tactic. Bama is that good at cheating

Archived