Saban grade changing problems while at LSU.

DKW 86

http://www.fanblogs.com/sec/004732.php

December 2, 2004

LSU bumped students grades before 2000 Peach Bowl

LSU has settled a lawsuit brought by former professor (some say campus whistle-blower) Caroline Owen. LSU says that it settled to put the issue to rest. Owen says that the settlement basically proves her claims that LSU changed players grades so they could play in the bowl game.

Owen and another kinesiology instructor, Tiffany Mayne, sued LSU in 2002, saying they were pressured to change football players' grades and hide academic misconduct during the 2000-01 school year to keep players eligible for the Peach Bowl....

After an investigation into the allegations of academic fraud, LSU admitted to five secondary NCAA violations, transferred the former head of the Academic Center for Student Athletes and moved control of the center from the athletic department to the provost.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://.com/newslogs/tpsports/index.ssf?/mtlogs/nola_tpsports/archives/2005_09.html#080457

LSU, former teacher agree to settlement

By Jim Kleinpeter

Staff writer

BATON ROUGE – LSU has reached an undisclosed settlement with former kinesiology instructor Tiffany Mayne, who sued the university over alleged academic fraud involving football players, the school said Friday.

Michael Ruffner, vice chancellor for communications and university relations, said in a press release that the school agreed to settle to avoid the expense of further litigation. He said the university “continues to deny wrongdoing relative to Mayne’s former employment at LSU or otherwise.”

Mayne, an instructor for 10 years, sued LSU and department head Amelia Lee in 2002. Mayne claimed that in 2000 she was pressured to change grades of LSU football players and hide academic misconduct to keep them eligible for the 2000 Peach Bowl. She said in her suit that 10 players who received failing grades were allowed to get extra credit and remain eligible.

LSU admitted to five secondary NCAA violations after an investigation. The NCAA accepted LSU’s self-imposed penalties of two lost scholarships and four recruiting visits during the 2003-04 recruiting year.

In November 2004, LSU paid former kinesiology professor Caroline Owen $150,000 and gave her an apology and three letters of recommendation after Owen sued over similar issues. Owen claimed LSU players plagiarized work and she was told by Lee to “keep the matter quiet.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://chronicle.com/daily/2005/09/2005091907n.htm

Louisiana State U. Settles Lawsuit by Instructor Who Said She Was Pressured to Raise Athletes' Grades

By STEPHEN BURD

Without admitting guilt, Louisiana State University at Baton Rouge agreed on Friday to pay $112,500 to settle a three-year-old lawsuit filed by a former instructor who said she had been pressured in the fall of 2000 to change the grades of football players to keep them eligible to play in the Peach Bowl.

In a news release, Michael Ruffner, an LSU spokesman, said that the university had agreed to the settlement with Tiffany Mayne, who had been an instructor in the kinesiology department, "to avoid the expense associated with further litigation."

seems like 4 million dollars a year is well worth the price.

edited by CT. we have a fine line here between making fun of Bear worship and making fun of the Bear. In my judgment, you crossed a hair.

I've almost narrowed it down to three guys who might be my daddy. I hope it's not the homeless guy that drools on himself.

Based on your contributions to this board, I wouldn't bet against it.

I've almost narrowed it down to three guys who might be my daddy. I hope it's not the homeless guy that drools on himself.

Samples just got from the lab to find out who BP's daddy is....

SamUgliestDogLulu.jpg

Samples just got from the lab to find out who BP's daddy is....

SamUgliestDogLulu.jpg

That literally sent chills down my spine. That is the Most Hideous thing I have ever seen.... Congratulations BP on finding your father.

If you narrowed them all down using DNA you probably shouldn't have tested only your uncles. But then again perhaps one could really be your daddy but I guess you'll never know for sure.

It was only a problem because this traitorous instructor just wouldn't let it go. She should have taken one for the team. Definitely no friend of LSU. B)

It was only a problem because this traitorous instructor just wouldn't let it go. She should have taken one for the team. Definitely no friend of LSU. B)

Or maybe the fact that football coaches were pushing a teacher to break the rules....

Archived