Three bad things and three good things.

ProgRock

First this isn't a rant thread...just voicing and objective opinion.

Brandon Cox's check off's don't work.Does anyone notice he always directly talks to the player who will get the ball?None of his check off's worked tonight.Have a play one and a play two hold up hand signals and don't look at player's unless you look at them all.

2nd if ESPN changes the program to a SUX A@@ baseball game with a no hitter(whoopie :puke: )and makes me miss Auburn's offensive drive again I will hunt down their program director.

Please don't leave your feet when tackling....that's not tackling it's call ramming like a deer into my car on the way home. :no: And like my car after the deer hit it,it kept going.

GOOD things

Kicking looked fine,I think Byrum will do nicely

Groves,Sims and Brock are AUsome in fact all of the defense played well

Wide out's did a good job as well

I agree about the audibles and the tackling.

I noticed that when Cox audibles (for the most part, he made a good call on the TD drive I believe)... you can easily tell if we are running or throwing. Would like to see them work on that.

The tackling isn't too good... Some of the players like to ram their shoulder into the guy, and he just bounces off and keeps going. I would like to see them wrap up a bit more.

Not really ranting either.. just worried about it.

Can't wait till next Saturday night! BTW.. Game started at about 6:50... Last till about 10:30 or so... Almost 4 hours. Not many games like that last year with the clock changes.

Yeah I'm the same as you Sanders.I'm not mad in anyway.....but I only have so many fingernails left to bite off. :)

I'm praying for a 2004 Tenn. bashing type turn around.

Brandon Cox's check off's don't work.Does anyone notice he always directly talks to the player who will get the ball?None of his check off's worked tonight.Have a play one and a play two hold up hand signals and don't look at player's unless you look at them all.

2nd if ESPN changes the program to a SUX A@@ baseball game with a no hitter(whoopie :puke: )and makes me miss Auburn's offensive drive again I will hunt down their program director.

Please don't leave your feet when tackling....that's not tackling it's call ramming like a deer into my car on the way home. :no: And like my car after the deer hit it,it kept going.

GOOD things

I disagree, partially. BC did make some crucial and correct audibles on the TD drive in the 4th quarter. I did not see the first 2 quarters, yet. We kept taking 5 step drops in spite of no pass blocking, resulting in sacks and hurried throws. Borges has to correct that, quick.

Bad

1. Poor tackling

2. No run game between the tackles (which is where I thought Tate would be able to shine)

3. Short kickoffs

Good

1. Pretty good in the penalty department for the first game. VERY few penalties for our young O linemen, if I remember correctly.

2. LOTS of passes broken up by our secondary in the 2nd half, when we needed it. The "dropped INTs" did not bother me at all.

3. Field goal and punt units performed very well.

Bonus - That final drive might have been more important than any of us realize. All of us remember the season opening stinker against Ga Tech in 2005. In that game, we didn't put that final drive together. And yet that offense went on to be even better than the 04 squad. We may see something special from this team yet.

GOOD things

I disagree, partially. BC did make some crucial and correct audibles on the TD drive in the 4th quarter. I did not see the first 2 quarters, yet. We kept taking 5 step drops in spite of no pass blocking, resulting in sacks and hurried throws. Borges has to correct that, quick.

That was key to me too Raven. I think KSU had a better offensive gameplan and used quick 3 step drops to get the ball out of there QB's hand. They played more of a ball control passing game. However, when they needed to go down field late in the game, he couldn't because he was having to take 5 step drops...allowing auburn to poin their ears back and come after him!

Speaking of players leaving their feet, did anyone notice the AU receivers leave their feet as they were trying to avoid being tackled ? I saw this a couple of times, forget who, but the receiver looked like he was about to get smacked 3 ways at once by the defenders. When the body gets hit from different directions like that, the ball's bound to pop out. Luckily, it didn't , but they need to take care of that ball better.

I noticed that when Cox audibles (for the most part, he made a good call on the TD drive I believe)... you can easily tell if we are running or throwing. Would like to see them work on that.

I strongly believe some opposing defenses have figured out our offense, either the audibles or lineups. I know our o-line is young but there were a very large number of running plays where the d-backs were coming straight into the backfield to make the tackles. They cannot get that kind of jump on a play unless they have some idea it's a run and to what side. We've heard for the past 2+ years that teams are just crowding the line and daring us to pass, but I think they are mostly doing that when they know what's been called. We do have talent on offense, but the execution since Borges 2nd year has not come close to matching the talent. I cannot just explain it away with o-line play...

GOOD things

That was key to me too Raven. I think KSU had a better offensive gameplan and used quick 3 step drops to get the ball out of there QB's hand. They played more of a ball control passing game. However, when they needed to go down field late in the game, he couldn't because he was having to take 5 step drops...allowing auburn to poin their ears back and come after him!

Dead on!

I agree with most of you. However, as always, they may be things we ( armchair QB's) don't know about that have dictated what we run and don't run or who we play or don't play. If that isn't the case, then I would say that our play calling left a lot to be desired. Why continue to run when they are stuffing us. Why not mix it up a little? Also, I've yet to understand why any HC can say after a game: "We should have done this or done that, and didn't" OR " we need to get someone in particular into the game" or We should have call this or that more.....SO WHY NOT?.......He's running the show and sure as heck has enough people around him to make sure that what needs to be done is done.....at the time it needs doing..... Just me wondering ! rolleyes: suppose.

Good

1. Pretty good in the penalty department for the first game. VERY few penalties for our young O linemen, if I remember correctly.

Ok, follow me here. It isn't all good that we didn't have a lot of holding penalties. Something you always hear from successful O-linemen is that there is holding on every play, its just a matter of if you get caught. Perhaps our young linemen would be better served to grab a little jersey this saturday.

Believe it or not, I'm not joking.

Speaking of players leaving their feet, did anyone notice the AU receivers leave their feet as they were trying to avoid being tackled ? I saw this a couple of times, forget who, but the receiver looked like he was about to get smacked 3 ways at once by the defenders. When the body gets hit from different directions like that, the ball's bound to pop out. Luckily, it didn't , but they need to take care of that ball better.

That was the ONLY thing that I disagreed with about Tate's running style. He tried to jump over and/or around too many defenders out there. Run through them, young man...

Good

Ok, follow me here. It isn't all good that we didn't have a lot of holding penalties. Something you always hear from successful O-linemen is that there is holding on every play, its just a matter of if you get caught. Perhaps our young linemen would be better served to grab a little jersey this saturday.

Believe it or not, I'm not joking.

I hear ya, for sure. It's an excellent point.

I was thinking more of false starts really when I made my post. I realize it was a home game, but still, I was very impressed with the discipline displayed for a young team in the season opener.

I strongly believe some opposing defenses have figured out our offense, either the audibles or lineups. I know our o-line is young but there were a very large number of running plays where the d-backs were coming straight into the backfield to make the tackles. They cannot get that kind of jump on a play unless they have some idea it's a run and to what side. We've heard for the past 2+ years that teams are just crowding the line and daring us to pass, but I think they are mostly doing that when they know what's been called. We do have talent on offense, but the execution since Borges 2nd year has not come close to matching the talent. I cannot just explain it away with o-line play...

AGREED!

He didn't do any checks on the last drive.He was given a play and quickly threw it to an open receiver.I have now watched this game 3 times.Also when we DID run the ball without a check off we got more yardage.The problem is VERY simple he directly talks to the person that will get the ball.I remember one play where he looked and signaled to Rod Smith and him alone,sure enough the threw it to him after a quick 5 step out pattern and threw the ball over his head.

Archived