Honeymoon over for Saban, crazed fans

DKW 86

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/p.../709290347/1019

Just found this one about CNS from Josh Moon.

COMMENTARY: Honeymoon over for Saban, crazed fans

By Josh Moon

When you write pretty much whatever crosses your mind, you tend to get a lot of e-mails. And I get a ton of the things.

Most of the time, as the management-restricted "mailbag" column proved, the e-mails were from various goofballs who only wanted to call me names. But every now and then, a good one rolls my way. And that happened this week.

An anonymous e-mailer sent me a link to a new Web site, one with an address of www.firecoachnicksaban.com.

I have no idea if a disgruntled Alabama fan started this thing, although I have my suspicions that the owner of this site is either wearing Miami's coral blue or LSU's purple and gold. Makes no difference, though. This site, at least for a little while, had one of the greatest Photoshopping jobs I've ever witnessed.

It has since been changed, but when I first clicked the link, I was greeted by Nick Saban's head on the body of Adam, from Michelangelo's "Creation of Adam." And of course, Saban/Adam was touching fingers with a very god-like Bear Bryant.

Solid work, boys. Solid work.

I see they also read my column from back in the summer, too. I noticed a lot of the same stats that I used in that piece were also used here. Things like Saban's shoddy record at Michigan State and the fact that he's lost at least five games in five of his 11 seasons as a college coach.

But hey, that's old news now. What's not old news is when this site was created. According to the registration information, it popped up last Sunday, a few hours after Saban's Crimson Tide fell in overtime to Georgia.

Uh-oh.

Surely the natives aren't becoming restless after just one overtime loss? I mean, that would be quick even for Alabama fans. That can't be it. No way would fans turn on Saban after just ... what's that? Some fans called an assistant coach's house to complain after the loss to Georgia last Saturday?

Consider me officially amazed. Amazed by the stupidity of some people.

What's wrong with some of you? Are you all so delusional that nothing less than an undefeated season will keep you from making complete and utter fools out of yourselves?

Grow up.

Stop calling coaches' houses. Stop throwing things at visiting teams. And stop acting as if Alabama's football team should be beating anyone right now, much less the better teams in the SEC.

I know it's not all UA fans acting this way. It's not even a significant percentage of fans. It's a handful of nutballs who are somehow heard very clearly over the top of the sane people.

But that's life. If it makes you feel any better, it works the same way for the media. Out of all the good, talented reporters out there, the faces of our industry most of the time are the hacks at Fox News and Stuart Scott. Basically, the personification of news bias and a guy screaming "boo-yah."

Hey, we all have our share of morons to deal with.

The problem for UA fans, at least the sane ones, is that the delusional fans have caused so many prior problems and done so much damage that now people are expecting nuttiness.

Take this Web site, for example. It probably wasn't started by an Alabama fan, but it's easy to believe, given past incidents, that it was.

And this is where Saban's press conference this week becomes very relevant. In case you missed it, Saban went after the fans -- mostly students -- who were throwing debris on the Georgia players after the game and the fans who called his assistant coach's house later that night.

He questioned the level of class of fans who would do things like that. He told them how he expected them to act and what he would like to see from them.

In essence, Saban drew a line in the sand.

And you get the feeling that either UA fans can walk to his side of that line or Saban will be doing the walking.

It was, without a doubt, Saban's finest moment in his short time at UA. His statements, more than anything he's done on the field or with recruiting, will help move that program forward by leaps and bounds.

I've heard the criticism of Saban since his comments. Things like, he should be thankful to have such devoted fans or that his assistants are making buckets of cash and should expect to be questioned every now and then.

All of it's nonsense -- complete and utter nonsense spewed by a group of people who are trying to make themselves feel better about the way they've acted over the last 25 years.

Those days are over now. The nonsense isn't going to be tolerated. The first warning was handed out this week.

And if it isn't heard, I don't think anyone at UA will have to worry about firing Saban.

What's wrong with some of you? Are you all so delusional that nothing less than an undefeated season will keep you from making complete and utter fools out of yourselves?

:roflol::roflol:

I cannot stop laughing at this comment.

All of it's nonsense -- complete and utter nonsense spewed by a group of people who are trying to make themselves feel better about the way they've acted over the last 25 years.

This is so hilarious I almost shook my computer off the table laughing.

:roflol::roflol:

I know it's not all UA fans acting this way. It's not even a significant percentage of fans. It's a handful of nutballs who are somehow heard very clearly over the top of the sane people.

I'd like to point out this statement. He says this, but then bases his article on these "nutballs" acting like they are the majority......wonderful journalism. :rolleyes:

I'd like to point out this statement. He says this, but then bases his article on these "nutballs" acting like they are the majority......wonderful journalism. :rolleyes:

So he doesn't write like a robot? ...so? Can't help it if he's right. B)

Okay so he can't beat Georgia or Florida State but he's made :ua: and all of the tide fans his beyotch.

He questioned the level of class of fans who would do things like that. He told them how he expected them to act and what he would like to see from them.

In essence, Saban drew a line in the sand.

And you get the feeling that either UA fans can walk to his side of that line or Saban will be doing the walking.

Expecting Josh Moon to be objective about Alabama is like getting Shane from Centerpoint to write an article about Auburn.

I guess you didn't take the time and read the article. He was actually trying to calm the masses in T-Town.

But that's life. If it makes you feel any better, it works the same way for the media. Out of all the good, talented reporters out there, the faces of our industry most of the time are the hacks at Fox News and Stuart Scott. Basically, the personification of news bias and a guy screaming "boo-yah."

I really liked the article but that part really stood out as hilarious to me.

Archived