Shreveport: The Granddaddy of Bad Bowl Games

TitanTiger

Bowl disappointment comes in many different flavors. The Purdue and Central Michigan players at the Motor City Bowl partied at a bowling alley. Fresno State and Georgia Tech players traveling to the Humanitarian Bowl are playing a game sponsored by a series of truck stops.

And for Memphis and Florida Atlantic players looking for events at the New Orleans Bowl -- events like parades -- well, sorry: There were no events listed or provided. (Even the Meineke Car Care Bowl had a street fair and pep rally for UConn and Wake Forest players and fans. If they can do it, anyone can.)

The original recipe for bowl disappointment, though, comes from Shreveport, La.: The Independence Bowl, better known to you and me as the former Poulan/Weed Eater Independence Bowl. The GMAC, the Motor City, the Meineke Car Care Bowl ... they all owe a debt of gratitude to the Independence Bowl, which came along in 1976 and innovated the bowl scene by removing the requirement of being "a destination city" from the criteria...

... Colorado is on the path to prosperity in a redo by Dan Hawkins, but the Buffs still finished in a four-way tie for fifth place in the Big 12 -- and lost to Iowa State, a two-win team that lost to Northern Iowa, a Division I-AA team. Alabama shorted out toward the end of the season as John Parker Wilson disintegrated in an almost Chris Simms-esque fashion.

Sunday night's net matchup is one of two .500 teams that finished the season on a flatline, losing a combined eight of their last 10 games.

These are two not-good teams that will add up to play what likely will be a not-good game.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=325392

It seems like the SEC could do better than this for their lower tier teams. Couldn't they get a bowl game going in Charlotte or maybe trade the New Orleans Bowl for this one? At least it would be in a city where something interesting is going on.

Are Bama fans even the least bit excited about this?

Is there a city, other than tuscaloser, more fitting for uaters than good old shreveport? Think about it........

Funny, just yesterday I was having a conversation with my dad about attending bowl games in the future. I was telling him possible locations in the future for games the SEC has tie-ins for.

'Atlanta?' - 'Sounds good'

'New Orleans?' - 'Thats would be fun'

'Dallas?' - 'Worth a trip'

'Orlando?' - 'Definitely'

'Tampa' - 'Why not'

'Shreveport?' - 'What?'

'Shreveport' - 'Why would we go to Shreveport?'

'I don't know, to see a game' - 'No way I'm going to Shreveport. Not even people that live in Shreveport want to be in Shreveport.'

I went to Shreveport last year for the game. A friend of mine from Mississippi called me last night because he was at the game. He asked me if I was there. My response: "Hell no. Never again."

Funny, just yesterday I was having a conversation with my dad about attending bowl games in the future. I was telling him possible locations in the future for games the SEC has tie-ins for.

'Atlanta?' - 'Sounds good'

'New Orleans?' - 'Thats would be fun'

'Dallas?' - 'Worth a trip'

'Orlando?' - 'Definitely'

'Tampa' - 'Why not'

'Shreveport?' - 'What?'

'Shreveport' - 'Why would we go to Shreveport?'

'I don't know, to see a game' - 'No way I'm going to Shreveport. Not even people that live in Shreveport want to be in Shreveport.'

Tell your dad that Shreveport wants to grow with him. They said so on TV. Maybe that personalized touch will make him want to go if we are ever unlucky enough to get stuck there.

I've attended one Independence Bowl and it will be my only...but it was memorable. It was the 2000 game when Mississippi State and Texas A&M played in about 4-5" of snow. MSU won in OT 43-41. Sanford (not Fred G.) was the title sponsor and, I crap you not, they handed out Sharpies when you walked in the stadium.

The guy I was seated next to bought a beer and set it on the bleachers...about 20 minutes later, all you could see was the neck of the beer from the snow making a natural koozie.

Driving back to my motel room in Marshall, TX (about 40 miles from Shreveport) was the most harrowing road experience I've ever had...cars were scattered on both sides of I-20 from spinning out on the ice.

I would LOVE for the SEC to nudge the Big Ten out of the Alamo Bowl slot and get that tie-in...San Antonio is a great destination city.

Archived