Derrick Lykes

ValleyTiger

No idea why Rivals is releasing all of these sign-and-place guys. A guy like Lykes shouldn't appear on a commit list until signing day, if at all. We sign and place guys every year who are never mentioned online.

Its when you "sign" a player knowing full well that they aren't going to qualify. You then "place" that player in a Prep/JUCO.

Lykes is supposed to have "made strides" in school but from what I've heard he's still unlikely to qualify. If he does, there are people saying he could push for immediate playing time...he is THAT good.

Its when you "sign" a player knowing full well that they aren't going to qualify. You then "place" that player in a Prep/JUCO.

Lykes is supposed to have "made strides" in school but from what I've heard he's still unlikely to qualify. If he does, there are people saying he could push for immediate playing time...he is THAT good.

Then hit the books, Derrick! B)

Sign and place sounds nothing new around here. We seem to have that often around this beautiful town. How many were placed last year? To think that 10-20% of players are placed, is ridiculous.

I find it ridiculous that so many players aren't making the grades. I went through highschool without doing anything and would still qualify. Am I being too harsh?

I would have to believe that these guys have enough time to spend studying a little bit. Oh well. Anyway.

Sign and place sounds nothing new around here. We seem to have that often around this beautiful town. How many were placed last year? To think that 10-20% of players are placed, is ridiculous.

Yeah I don't know why you waste your time with guys like Raven Gray and Enrique Davis who just turn around and resign as 5 star guys <_<

Maybe placing guys who will be loyal at resign is worth it.

Yeah I don't know why you waste your time with guys like Raven Gray and Enrique Davis who just turn around and resign as 5 star guys <_<

Yeah really. It seems like a great plan to me. If you can afford living without the guys for a year or two and dont need immediate help its not bad. It gives you a chance to get other players with lots of potential that other people dont want to take the risk/time on in a signing class. Also consider that you know who you'll be getting in the next year's class. Plus, some of these guys could probably use a year maturing in Prep school before college.

That's what we're doing, IMO. Plus, I think of it as a step up from the HS ranks when they go JUCO or Prep..alot of the times it gives the coaches a chance to see what they can do Outside of the program that they've been in for four years and a chance to see what they can do against better players than a 5'10 210lb DT. Also, the kid is struggling in the Class room, this gives them the chance to straighten up and get things in order......most of the time.

Who is saying he that goog. According to the stuff that I read, he is a turd.

Who is saying he that goog. According to the stuff that I read, he is a turd.

Tuberville thought he merited a personal in-home visit. The kid had 18 sacks his jr, year. 6'4", 275 and runs a 4.7 40. What have you been reading, BOL?

Besides, a "sign to place" guy is a no-risk venture. He doesn't count against any limits, etc. If he does well in prep school/JUCO, both in the classroom and on the field, you have an inside track with him. If he does poorly, you don't have to sign him again. Win/win situation.

I can't agree with anyone who thinks it is good to sign and place in JUCO. You lose the kid for two years, get him for two years instead of four. What if you have holes to fill? Look at all the freshmen that played this past season.

My point is just that if they are "sign and place" then they should not be on the Signing Class / Commitment rankings. To have a player count twice, that is like counting wins from the season before to determine your ranking in the current season.

I can't agree with anyone who thinks it is good to sign and place in JUCO. You lose the kid for two years, get him for two years instead of four. What if you have holes to fill? Look at all the freshmen that played this past season.

My point is just that if they are "sign and place" then they should not be on the Signing Class / Commitment rankings. To have a player count twice, that is like counting wins from the season before to determine your ranking in the current season.

I am only going to say this once...and I can't believe I am saying it at all, but I agree with you in regards to the rankings. It is an inflated sense of your incoming class IF you have more than 2 or 3 sign and place guys. I am all for the coaches going this route in addition to meeting current needs, but I don't think they should count in a team's ranking until they are signing with the intent/ability to enroll that spring or summer.

You act as if the "sign and place" player took up a slot or something. He did not. If you have holes to fill, you fill 'em and get the sign and place players as an afterthought. They hurt nothing, cost nothing, take up no slots. If they mess up the recruiting rankings, who cares? The rankings are guesses anyway, and have no practical use other than to amuse the masses.

You act as if the "sign and place" player took up a slot or something. He did not. If you have holes to fill, you fill 'em and get the sign and place players as an afterthought. They hurt nothing, cost nothing, take up no slots. If they mess up the recruiting rankings, who cares? The rankings are guesses anyway, and have no practical use other than to amuse the masses.

Exactly, but the rankings seem to be what the "fans" care about and what the media wishes to write about and talk about. That is how everyone wishes to compare classes. In the end, yes they mean very little. I'm smart enough to know that. The point was from a Rankings perspective, it is stupid.

The point was from a Rankings perspective, it is stupid.

So, is it your position that Auburn should stop signing sign and place guys so that the recruiting rankings will be more accurate?

Archived