Watson turns down 'Bama offer

JohnDeere

Huskerextra

Watson turns down 'Bama offer

By the Lincoln Journal Star

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 - 07:38:18 pm CST

Shawn Watson has turned down an offer from Alabama to become the school’s offensive coordinator, multiple sources told the Journal Star on Tuesday.

Alabama head coach Nick Saban sought to have Watson fly there Tuesday, but Watson declined the invitation and said he was planning to remain as NU’s offensive coordinator, according to sources.

Saban told Rivals.com on Tuesday that he did approach Watson but said Alabama “didn’t really offer it to him. We called and asked permission to talk to him and he decided to stay at Nebraska.”

According to sources close to Watson, the assistant received an offer for the Alabama job on Monday.

Watson did not address the details of the Alabama situation on Tuesday, but did declare his allegiances to Nebraska in a statement.

“I am excited about continuing in my role as the offensive coordinator at Nebraska. I deeply appreciate the opportunity that Coach (Bo) Pelini and Coach Osborne have given me. My family and I enjoy being at Nebraska. This is a great place to do what I love and that is coaching football,” Watson said.

“Right now my focus is on helping finish up a strong recruiting class and looking ahead to spring football. We have a great group of kids in our program and I look forward to coaching the offense we have coming back for next season.”

Watson did not return phone messages left Tuesday.

Pelini said he was thrilled that Watson chose to remain on the Husker staff. When asked why he felt Watson decided to stay in Lincoln, Pelini said: "I hope he's staying because he knows he's a key cog for us, and that we have a bright future here."

The 48-year-old Watson was first linked to the Alabama job on Sunday night.

Though some Husker fans might have considered the move a lateral one, Watson would have bolstered his salary by taking the position.

As it stands, Watson is slated to make $225,000 this season at Nebraska. Three sources close to Watson said he would have received a pay raise of at least $75,000 — and that’s probably conservative — to run Alabama’s offense.

Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne declined an interview request on the matter.

This may not be the last offer Watson has to weigh. There are several teams interested in Watson’s services, said a source close to the coach, including at least one NFL team.

Watson has spent the past three seasons on the Husker staff under Bill Callahan, becoming the offensive coordinator last season.

Despite Watson’s title, Callahan played the lead role in running all parts of the offense. That is anticipated to change this fall, with Watson at the controls.

Though Nebraska struggled last season, the offense held steady, finishing 11th in the country in total offense.

Watson was one of just two assistants from Callahan’s staff retained by new Husker head coach Bo Pelini.

Obviously, there was no offer. Who wouldn't jump at the chance to work for $aban. On top of that, he was going to get a raise. I thought coaches everywhere would donate $75k of their salary to get a piece of the five consecutive nashunal titles about to come to the Crapstone.

I'm actually hearing Fat Freddie Kitchens being mentioned now.

Of course, whoever ends up there was the number 1 pick all along. Right Spurrier, I mean Rodriguez, I mean Saban.

Now wouldn't that be a kick in the A** if Kitchens turns him and the program Down? I'd LOL for at least two days....straight. And everytime I see someone with anything bammie on, I'd laugh and point at that person. Okay, okay maybe not point, because it's not nice to do that...but I will laugh.

Honestly, i am not worried about our OC right now. Most UA fans that i know arent as worried about our OC as alot of people think. Right now we just want to finish out strong in recruiting and then focus on who we might get. For example, remember when Rich Rodriguez decided not to come? Alot of people thought we were desperate and would hire an average coach. But it worked out pretty good getting Saban, most would agree hes a good coach. He is a tireless recruiting and he demands excellence, in the long run there is no reason not to believe he will be successful. I think we end up getting a guy all UA fans are happy with, with Kevin Steele (2007 recruiter of the year). And Kirby Smart, Burton Burns etc we already have a great coaching staff. I am happy with the future of UA football, our stadium will soon be 102,000+, we have a huge fanbase (obviously), great gameday atmosphere, good campus, good location. That in itself will interest recruits, Saban seems to be taking advantage of it. Auburn might not have the fanbase we do but they will almost always be good also, the Iron Bowl will always be the biggest game of the year for both teams and there will always be streaks in the rivalry. 6 and maybe even 7 next year, but Alabama is very capable of making a streak of their own in the future.

Honestly, i am not worried about our OC right now. Most UA fans that i know arent as worried about our OC as alot of people think. Right now we just want to finish out strong in recruiting and then focus on who we might get. For example, remember when Rich Rodriguez decided not to come? Alot of people thought we were desperate and would hire an average coach. But it worked out pretty good getting Saban, most would agree hes a good coach. He is a tireless recruiting and he demands excellence, in the long run there is no reason not to believe he will be successful. I think we end up getting a guy all UA fans are happy with, with Kevin Steele (2007 recruiter of the year). And Kirby Smart, Burton Burns etc we already have a great coaching staff. I am happy with the future of UA football, our stadium will soon be 102,000+, we have a huge fanbase (obviously), great gameday atmosphere, good campus, good location. That in itself will interest recruits, Saban seems to be taking advantage of it. Auburn might not have the fanbase we do but they will almost always be good also, the Iron Bowl will always be the biggest game of the year for both teams and there will always be streaks in the rivalry. 6 and maybe even 7 next year, but Alabama is very capable of making a streak of their own in the future.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Oh thats right i forgot a few of you guys might not have a high school education. let me make it a little more simple for some people.

Alabama fans: ROLL TIDE!!! 12 national championsips bear bryant blah blah blah.

Auburn Fans: 6 in a row, saban is going to leave UAT for blah blah blah. WDE

Thank goodness i actually got an education.

Oh thats right i forgot a few of you guys might not have a high school education. let me make it a little more simple for some people.

Thank goodness i actually got an education brainwashed.

fixed that for you...

So, isn't it worse to be told that a potential candidate is not even interested in the job, especially when you admit you had asked for permission to speak to them?

I mean, one has to think pretty bad of your program if they were not even interested to see if what you at least had to offer. Doesn't most people that are being recruited for another job at least want to know if the inquiring company can offer more money, better, benefits, etc?

Bammers can twist this all they want, but this was a big fat :moon: from Watson.

Got an education? From where, Berry Middle School? Let Me make it a little more simple for You....Yall don't have 12 nashiunal champiunsheeps, if the NCAA doesn't recognize your Fairy Tale then it's not there. You turds can claim all the F'n Championships known to man and make Wife Beaters that have them plastered all over, doesn't mean yall have them, you know, in the Real World. Here's a little homework assignment for ya....it's called reading up on your history without your crimson blinders.

Major Applewhite's parents were such huge Bama fans that they named him after Major Ogilvie. Applewhite loved Alabama with all his heart and wanted to play there but they would not offer him a scholly so he took one at UT. Finally, after growing up a Crimson Tide fan he gets his dream job of being the OC at the school he has worshiped (that may be too subtle a word) since birth, Alabama.

One year later, he cannot get out of Tuscaloosa fast enough. He takes a demotion (albeit at a more prominent program) just to get away from Alabama. Whether it was Saban, the goof balls in the administration, or the unrealistic, overbearing, barbaric fan base something drove Applewhite away and it is keeping talented OC's away in droves as well.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and acts like a duck, it's a duck.

Bama is a duck. Or more accurately it is a dinosaur wading the La Brea Tar Pits thinking that if it stretches its neck a little more it might reach that leaf and thus fend off extinction for one more day.

Let's talk about the "education" for a moment. During your academic pursuits, did they teach you that when the letter "i" is used in a sentence to reference yourself, that you must capitalize it? Did they also teach you how/when to properly insert an apostrophe when using a contraction or when making a word possessive? Did they teach you to capitalize the name of a person or the first word in a sentence? Also, did they even teach you how to spell?

Just wondering.

Bama fans can spin this all they want. The bottom line is that Saban has painted himself into the same corner that Mal Moore was in when he hired Nick. The only thing that was going to get a decent HC to Tuscaloosa was an insane amount of money. Coaches all over the country were avoiding that job like the plague. Heck, Saban publicly said that he didn't want the job. They had to back the Brinks truck up to the door to get him there.

Now Saban is in the same boat. The OC job at Alabama has to be the worst job in the country. They want an A-list coach to come there to be second guessed at every move by the Oline coach. To say nothing of working for what is generally regarded to be the most micromanaging tyrant in all of sports.

It has been stated in this thread already that the two assistants that have left have both taken steps down just to get out of town. Ron Middleton took the Bama job to be near an ailing relative. Even that wasn't enough to keep him in Ttown.

Saban is running out of options as we speak. Every time a prospect turns him down (won't even see what he has to offer), the pressure mounts to make a "sexy" hire to show that Bama's still "got it".

Get ready folks, they are going to have to bring out the Brinks truck again to get an OC. They will soon be paying the highest salary in the country for a coordinator.

Conversation between Saban and Watson.

Satan: coach watson, we'd like for you to be the next offensive coordinator at the greatest football school in the nation. I'm talkin' 12 national championships, 92,000 screaming fans at the A-day game, and the "Bear." So what do you say?

Watson: Thanks but no thanks coach.

Satan: But Shawn, haven't you seen our rival's recruiting ranking?

Watson: Yeah coach. Very impressive. Im just not interested in moving to tuscaloosa.

Satan: But they will pay you what ever you want. I mean, they give me 4 mil a year to stay here. Hell, I would coach at Louisiana Monroe(cough, mutter) uhm, for that kind of money.

Watson: thanks again coach but no thanks.

Satan: But, but, denny chimes?

Watson: give me a call when you've had enough of tuscaloosa and i'll consider it. See ya later.

Satan: But shawn,....... Shawn? Ya there buddy? Damn. (Hangs up phone)

Satan: Ive gotta get my ass outta here. lucky for me these rich basatrds are dilusional as hell. off to count my money.

Archived