More Bammer news

AU alum

In terms of Alabama's coaching staff, secondary coach Kirby Smart has been promoted to defensive coordinator and Kevin Steele is now assistant head coach and "head defensive coach," according to Saban.

I've heard of defensive coordinator, but what is a "head defensive coach"? Is that the coach between saban and Smart? In other words, is he Smart's direct supervisor? Or was he just made that title to keep him at Bama?

This is just a title so they can pay them more money. The thing is, if one of these guys leave, the Bama faithful will remind you that its Nick's defense anyway.

In terms of Alabama's coaching staff, secondary coach Kirby Smart has been promoted to defensive coordinator and Kevin Steele is now assistant head coach and "head defensive coach," according to Saban.

I've heard of defensive coordinator, but what is a "head defensive coach"? Is that the coach between saban and Smart? In other words, is he Smart's direct supervisor? Or was he just made that title to keep him at Bama?

why are you guys so worried about what titles our coaches have?

I'm not worried, I simply wanted to know what the titles meant. Maybe they don't mean anything......

Why so defensive?

I would like someone to explain it (if it can be explained). I'm not bashing it or anything. I'm wondering how that works. As I understand it, an assistant head coach is kind of like an understudy. He usually has a unit, but he also sits in on head coaching meetings with the coordinators, helps gameplan, and usually has high recruiting priority. That makes sense to me.

A coordinator sets the gameplan, installs the playbook for the week, coaches his unit, makes some personnel calls, and gives guidance on his side of the ball. He runs through the head coach. That makes sense to me.

I'm trying to think of what a "head defensive coach" could do, and I've got nothing. Meeting with the head coach would be nothing more than the defensive coordinator. Setting the gameplan would definitely step on DC's toes. I guess he could be more heavily involved in personnel, but that's primarily the position coach's call. DC is just usually a tie breaker. I dunno. That seems like more of an arbitrary title than I've seen before. BUT I could be wrong.

Archived