Saban talks to Mayor about arrests..

quietfan

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/mobilere....xml&coll=3

Saban has met with Tuscaloosa Mayor Walter Maddox since Johnson's arrest to discuss his team's recent run of off-the-field incidents. Maddox confirmed the meeting Tuesday to The Tuscaloosa News.
Okay, I wasn't at the meeting, so I don't know what they discussed. But what has the Mayor of Tuscaloosa got to do with discipline on the football team?

IMHO, this sounds remarkably like more of the "It's the cops fault" excuses we've been hearing from so many of the Sabanites. The city didn't make R. Johnson shove a security guard and struggle with the police. The police didn't make B. Deaderick try to get his underage friends into a club and headbutt the window of a patrol car. It's not the city's fault that someone suddenly decides to impersonate "Thomas Crown" when addressing a police officer. I concede the possibility that after the confrontations began, a police officer could have reacted too aggressively in one or another of the incidents--not being present, I wouldn't know. But had the players been behaving responsibly in the first place instead of acting like thugs, there would have been no police reactions to discuss.

To me, this sounds more like Saban asking the Mayor to either 1) tell the cops to lay off my players, or 2) crack down on the business hours/practices of the establishments on the Strip so my boys adults (?) won't be faced with temptations they're too immature to handle. Or maybe Nick just needed to remind the Mayor how "the process" is supposed to include official protection and favoritism for the primadonnas of the Crimson Tide, as was allegedly the practice for so many of golden years in their glorious past.

Mayor Maddox: Tell Nick Saban to do his job and you'll do yours.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/mobilere....xml&coll=3

Saban has met with Tuscaloosa Mayor Walter Maddox since Johnson's arrest to discuss his team's recent run of off-the-field incidents. Maddox confirmed the meeting Tuesday to The Tuscaloosa News.
Okay, I wasn't at the meeting, so I don't know what they discussed. But what has the Mayor of Tuscaloosa got to do with discipline on the football team?

IMHO, this sounds remarkably like more of the "It's the cops fault" excuses we've been hearing from so many of the Sabanites. The city didn't make R. Johnson shove a security guard and struggle with the police. The police didn't make B. Deaderick try to get his underage friends into a club and headbutt the window of a patrol car. It's not the city's fault that someone suddenly decides to impersonate "Thomas Crown" when addressing a police officer. I concede the possibility that after the confrontations began, a police officer could have reacted too aggressively in one or another of the incidents--not being present, I wouldn't know. But had the players been behaving responsibly in the first place instead of acting like thugs, there would have been no police reactions to discuss.

To me, this sounds more like Saban asking the Mayor to either 1) tell the cops to lay off my players, or 2) crack down on the business hours/practices of the establishments on the Strip so my boys adults (?) won't be faced with temptations they're too immature to handle. Or maybe Nick just needed to remind the Mayor how "the process" is supposed to include official protection and favoritism for the primadonnas of the Crimson Tide, as was allegedly the practice for so many of golden years in their glorious past.

Mayor Maddox: Tell Nick Saban to do his job and you'll do yours.

Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner on the first try. Hey S the Coach. unless you were there to apologize for your players trying to trash the Strip, how bout' you handle your football team and let the Mayor take care of city business.

when regular students are arrested downtown does the president of the university call the mayor to discuss his students being arrested? Deal with it saban, don't cry to the mayor about the police picking on you poor wittle football team

I love how these bammers are trying to pass the blame off on that the strip "is just like Bourbon Street or Southside of Birmingham and thats the reason why our players are getting in trouble". :rolleyes:

Personally, I smell a payoff............. :thumbsup:

Bingo! I'd wager the Chief discovered some of those REC "stuffed elephants" in his office. You know, like the ones that used to adorn the halls of the Winfrey hotel when the IB was played in B'ham. Twist the head off and VOILA.....$100.

He talked to the mayor, aight, cuz when Nick Saban rolled into town, he became the mayor, aight? Maddox is now the Deputy Mayor, and he takes orders from Saban, aight? Why is it so strange that an employer would call his subordinate?

Personally, I smell a payoff............. :thumbsup:

Bingo! I'd wager the Chief discovered some of those REC "stuffed elephants" in his office. You know, like the ones that used to adorn the halls of the Winfrey hotel when the IB was played in B'ham. Twist the head off and VOILA.....$100.

I have never heard of any of that nonsense: Halls? Of the Winfrey? Under their heads? During IB week?

Got a link for that?

I call BS...

Mr. Mayor, aight, I first want to say that I'm sorry for the behavior of some of Mike Shula's players, aight, with respect to personal decisions. I also want you to know, aight, that they will be punished, aight. It's a part of the process, aight. With respect to the punishment, aight, I'm sure that you need a light bulb or two changed. I would be happy if my child turned out to be like Rashad Johnson, aight, with respect to his light bulb changing proficiency.

There is another part of the process, aight. If you tell your guys to lay off the team until I win an SEC championship, aight, with respect to helping us out, I'll give you two skyboxes, with respect to season tickets, aight.

Give the guy a break. He was probably discussing the wax-on, wax-off procedure his busted players will use when they pay their debt to society by buffing the TPD patrol cars.

Mr. Mayor, aight, I first want to say that I'm sorry for the behavior of some of Mike Shula's players, aight, with respect to personal decisions.

Haha! This had me crackin up.

Mr. Mayor, aight, I first want to say that I'm sorry for the behavior of some of Mike Shula's players, aight, with respect to personal decisions. I also want you to know, aight, that they will be punished, aight. It's a part of the process, aight. With respect to the punishment, aight, I'm sure that you need a light bulb or two changed. I would be happy if my child turned out to be like Rashad Johnson, aight, with respect to his light bulb changing proficiency.

There is another part of the process, aight. If you tell your guys to lay off the team until I win an SEC championship beat Auburn, aight, with respect to helping us out, I'll give you two skyboxes, with respect to season tickets, aight.

Fixed that for you. B)

when regular students are arrested downtown does the president of the university call the mayor to discuss his students being arrested? Deal with it saban, don't cry to the mayor about the police picking on you poor wittle football team

I've been giving this some more thought. Why wouldn't this be considered special treatment/benefits for athletes as far as the NCAA is concerned?

Do ALL uat students have a personal advocate to represent them before the Mayor? Why should the relationship between Saban's players and the law be handled differently in any way than the relationship of every other uat student and the law? Saban has every right to handle the internal discipline of his players, but as far as the city (and the NCAA, IMO) are concerned, Saban should not be negotiating for, apologizing for, or even merely representing his players in off-campus legal matters if other uat students don't get the same representation or treatment. Or will Saban talk to the Mayor every time a non-athlete gets arrested in Tuscalooosa?

I've been giving this some more thought. Why wouldn't this be considered special treatment/benefits for athletes as far as the NCAA is concerned?

Do ALL uat students have a personal advocate to represent them before the Mayor? Why should the relationship between Saban's players and the law be handled differently in any way than the relationship of every other uat student and the law? Saban has every right to handle the internal discipline of his players, but as far as the city (and the NCAA, IMO) are concerned, Saban should not be negotiating for, apologizing for, or even merely representing his players in off-campus legal matters if other uat students don't get the same representation or treatment. Or will Saban talk to the Mayor every time a non-athlete gets arrested in Tuscalooosa?

Wow, on some level that was a great take. Can that be a special benefit? I wonder...

Why you ask?

mayor = police chief's boss

Do the math!

Doesn't shock me. Saban LOVES to have control about every aspect of his program

He will reach out and try to control in any way possible things of this nature

He reached out to the BR Police including several donations in his first few seasons

Archived