Rep. Bud Cramer Won't Seek Re-Election

Nay4AU

I'll be dang. I hate to hear that. I lived in his district the past few years and he is the only democrat I have ever voted for at the state level or higher. He has done a lot for North Alabama in helping to bring new industries in. Whoever takes his seat has some big shoes to fill.

So who here lives in his district? You running?

His district is North Alabama, from Florence to Ft Payne, including Athens, Decatur and Huntsville.

Ranger and I live in his district.

Just heard about it this morning. I hated to hear it also, he fought hard for NASA and the Arsenal. I'm with Ranger, he is one of the only few Democrats that I have ever voted for. I hope that we can get someone in that will work as hard as he has for North Alabama.

Just heard about it this morning. I hated to hear it also, he fought hard for NASA and the Arsenal. I'm with Ranger, he is one of the only few Democrats that I have ever voted for. I hope that we can get someone in that will work as hard as he has for North Alabama.

He's been a good friend to law enforcement. He actually took quite a bit of his time to travel and meet with some bureaucrats that buggered up a program we need. He got it fixed in one day of travel. We'll miss him.

This sets up for an interesting race in the fall.

It's a Democratic year, in a populist leaning district. I'd give the edge to the Dem nominee, but I think Republicans can make it a competitive race if they pump some money into it.

Susan Parker, Parker Griffin, Roger Bedford, Tammy Irons, or Deborah Paseur for the Democrats? I honestly have no clue who would run for the GOP. Any ideas?

He was going to run unopposed because the GOP knew there was nobody that could beat him. Now, it is going to be interesting to see who comes out of the woodworks from bother parties to replace him.

David, when we moved out here to Danville a few months ago, I think that moved me out of Cramer's district and Alderholt is our rep now. I will have to check to make sure of that because I think Cramer and Alderholt's district split up Morgan County with Cramer having the northern part and Alderholt having the southern part.

He was going to run unopposed because the GOP knew there was nobody that could beat him. Now, it is going to be interesting to see who comes out of the woodworks from bother parties to replace him.

David, when we moved out here to Danville a few months ago, I think that moved me out of Cramer's district and Alderholt is our rep now. I will have to check to make sure of that because I think Cramer and Alderholt's district split up Morgan County with Cramer having the northern part and Alderholt having the southern part.

I forgot you moved...sorry.

Roger Bedford??? OMG! The most corrupt man in Alabama running in my district? I think his residence is in Aderholdt's District too, but I could be mistaken.

I forgot you moved...sorry.

Roger Bedford??? OMG! The most corrupt man in Alabama running in my district? I think his residence is in Aderholdt's District too, but I could be mistaken.

No need to apologize. I did not know if you know what district Danville was or not.

Here is an article posted in today's Decatur Daily. It shows why I voted for the guy:

Retiring Cramer slams Congress’ partisanship

Desire to spend time with family leads to decision not to seek re-election

By Eric Fleischauer

Staff Writer

“We are going to the beach this weekend,” said U.S. Rep. Bud Cramer, D-Huntsville, on Friday.

The nine-term congressman, decrying Washington partisanship and not ruling out the possibility that he would endorse a Republican to take his seat, said a desire for time with his family persuaded him not to seek re-election in November.

On Thursday, he shocked area voters and Washington observers when he announced his decision, which leaves for grabs a seat that was a lock for Democrats.

At a Huntsville press conference Friday, the 60-year-old Cramer refuted the two most prevalent rumors regarding his coming retirement. His health is fine, he said, and he is not leaving Congress with any plans to become a lobbyist.

His colleagues, he said, also were asking about his health.

“I’m not too egotistical, but I did go back to the office and looked in the mirror and thought, ‘Do I look pale?’ ”

Cramer said he considered leaving his 5th District seat before the 2006 election cycle but decided he wanted to baby-sit some pending economic development projects, a new Tennessee Valley Authority board and the Base Realignment and Closure process.

Cramer did not attribute his decision to it, but excessive partisanship in Washington was a refrain in his comments.

“It is remarkably unnecessary,” Cramer said. “You’d be surprised how often — this week included — a core of us sit there on the floor and we listen to the tone back and forth on that floor and go, ‘Why are they doing this? Why?’ We get frustrated with some of our own colleagues who seem to look at C-SPAN as a way to demagogue rather than a way to legitimately debate one another.”

His concerns about partisanship did not change when his party took control of the House in the last election.

“There have been frustrations in the last two years as the rhythm of our new leadership was not settled really quickly,” he said.

Wants family time

The reasons Cramer did give for leaving: He is tired of it, and he wants to spend more time with his family, including his single-parent daughter, three grandchildren and parents.

“Going back to Washington has gotten tougher and tougher in the last two years,” Cramer said. “I have kind of resented that I’ve taken a job that continues to put me on the road that much.”

He said that was a sure sign it was time for a change.

“If you start resenting what is basically part of the job, it is time to start thinking about another job,” he continued. “Quite frankly, it was that I can’t keep doing this job if I feel the way I feel.”

Turning 60, he said, contributed to his decision.

“This way of life, it has taken its toll.”

No specific plans

Cramer said he had no specific plans regarding what he will do after leaving office, but he would like to remain active in economic development issues. He also expressed an interest in teaching or working with a private foundation.

He said he would not run for governor, and that he thought he was through with politics.

Between now and the end of his term, Cramer said, he has some unspecified “Alabama-related economic development” projects he wants to see to fruition.

“Please do not try to figure this out,” he said.

Superdelegate

Cramer said he has not pledged his vote as a national convention superdelegate in the Democratic Party, and that he probably would not decide how to vote until he walked into the convention.

“My colleagues from Illinois and my colleagues from New York are regularly visiting with me,” he laughed.

Sens. Barack Obama of Illinois and Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York are seeking the Democratic presidential nomination

Cramer did not endorse any candidates to replace him. The filing deadline for both parties is April 4. The primary is June 3. He said he doubted he would endorse anyone before the primary. He would not rule out the possibility of endorsing a Republican.

“We need the best candidate running for this job that we can have,” he said. “If that is a Republican, then that Republican needs to win this race.”

He said he expected a strong field of Democrats to run for the seat.

“I want to see a Democratic Party that has business-interested, conservative Democrats, thriving under that umbrella,” he said.

Cramer is a co-founder and active member of the Blue Dog Coalition, a group of 47 conservative and moderate Democratic House members.

His replacement, Cramer said, should have a strong focus on economic development.

“I don’t think you’ll find another member that works in economic development-related issues much like I do,” Cramer said.

“Many of them would probably say that just is not part of their job. I consider it an important part of my job.”

Whoever Cramer endorses can hope for more than words. Cramer has a $1.8 million campaign fund, and federal election laws permit him to make contributions to candidates. In recent years he has contributed to several conservative Democrats.

Asked whether he was headed to a Florida beach this weekend, Cramer scoffed.

“I am going to Alabama beaches.”

Link

I had forgotten about Arthur Orr being a possible candidate. He has only had one term at the state level under his belt, but I have liked what he has done so far.

Orr says supporters encouraging a run for District 5 seat

By M.J. Ellington

Staff Writer

MONTGOMERY — State Sen. Arthur Orr, R-Decatur, said Friday he is considering running for the congressional seat held by Rep. Bud Cramer.

Cramer said Thursday that he wouldn’t run for a 10th term. His announcement surprised Democrats and Republicans alike. Most expected the member of the moderate/conservative Blue Dog Coalition to run for at least one more term.

The announcement also came less than three months before Alabama’s June 4 primaries, leaving little time for election fundraising.

“Less than 24 hours ago, I was focused on my job in the Alabama Senate and this wasn’t an issue,” Orr said Friday. “I still am focused on my job in the Senate, but I have been inundated with calls and e-mails from people who want me to run.”

Orr said it is important to the Republican Party to field quality candidates for the traditionally Democratic seat, but he said there are many things to consider.

“It is a life-changing decision,” Orr said. “You shouldn’t take it lightly.”

Orr said he will discuss the options with his wife, Amy, and will pray about it before he decides.

Although Orr does not live in District 5, most residents of his state Senate district do live there.

Federal law requires only that one be a resident of the state one represents. Alabama, unlike some states, has no law requiring that congressmen live in the districts they represent.

State Sen. Tom Butler, D-Madison, said he and his family will meet to discuss a run for Cramer’s seat. He said such a run is something he always has dreamed about, but he had expected Cramer to step down later, not in 2008.

Other possible candidates include Democratic Public Service Commissioner Susan Parker, a Morgan County native who lives in Lauderdale County; state Sen. Parker Griffith, D-Huntsville, who was elected in 2006; state Rep. John Robinson, D-Scottsboro; Stan McDonald, an attorney who previously ran as a Republican against Cramer; and Republican Mo Brooks, a Madison County commissioner.

Huntsville lawyer Ray McKee already filed to run for the seat as a Republican. Eric Fleischauer contributed to this article.

Trust me. You don't want Arthur Orr as your US Rep.

Instead of being so cryptic, please tell us why you say that.

So far he has done a good job for this area, especially with him trying to get a robotics program brought to Calhoun College. I have seen him be very active and attending several town hall type meetings, which is something you don't see many other state legislators do anymore. With all the corruptness we have in Montgomery, Orr has stayed clean as far as I know. Nobody is perfect of course, but I have no reason to complain about his job performance so far. Am I missing something?

Trust me. You don't want Arthur Orr as your US Rep.

Instead of being so cryptic, please tell us why you say that.

So far he has done a good job for this area, especially with him trying to get a robotics program brought to Calhoun College. I have seen him be very active and attending several town hall type meetings, which is something you don't see many other state legislators do anymore. With all the corruptness we have in Montgomery, Orr has stayed clean as far as I know. Nobody is perfect of course, but I have no reason to complain about his job performance so far. Am I missing something?

Really? I know a lot of his family members. Arthur is a pretty good guy. I dont know about his Dad. However I know his mom very well. They are some pretty good folks.

Archived