Tide not in 'panic mode'

quietfan

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/mobilere....xml&coll=3

Tide not in 'panic mode'

Offense hoping to learn from its many mistakes in Saturday's scrimmage

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

TUSCALOOSA -- In the aftermath of Saturday's lopsided scrimmage, Alabama's offense arrived at Monday's practice seeking payback.

"We kind of got after them this Saturday," Crimson Tide cornerback Kareem Jackson said, "and they got after us today."

How bad was it Saturday? Scrimmages often leave a gray area as to which side of the football enjoyed more success, but this wasn't like that. Statistics anointed a clear winner.

In a first formal exam under new coordinator Jim McElwain, Alabama's offense managed only three touchdowns. The Tide's four quarterbacks completed only 26-of-72 pass attempts (36.1 percent) while totaling seven interceptions.

First-string quarterback John Parker Wilson was 15-for-36 with an interception. Yet he outdid backup Greg McElroy, who was picked off four times.

"The numbers were pretty bad," Wilson said Monday, "but we're not going into panic mode or anything. It's the first scrimmage. We had five practices before it. We've just got to learn from the tape and get better. We're young with a new offense. It's not going to happen overnight."

Wilson said the offense performed better near the end of the scrimmage.

"I feel comfortable right now. I really do," Wilson said. (...maybe because he knows there's still eight months before he has to face Auburn's sack monsters? :big: ) "I feel good with everything we're doing."

I've never been one to put much stock in a single spring performance, so I'm not reading too much into it. Still, reports like this do bring a little smile to my face and give me a warm feeling.

Also, does it seem like often when people make a point of saying "We're not in panic mode", it really means that panic is at least on their mind? ...or is that just me?

if their offense isn't any better than that they will lose every road game they play in except for maybe arkansas.

well it was, what appears now to be our third string QB, that threw our only interception. I'll take 37 offensive points and 7 defensive points...

Yeah, good thing AU looked awesome in their A Day game. <_<

Well Thanks bg. I thought I saw you @ JH Saturday.................

I don't know about awesome, but these stats aren't half bad:

Burns: 14-21, 142 yds, 1 TD, 0 INTs

Todd: 18-27, 190 yds, 1 TD, 0 INTs

Caudle: 10-18, 50 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT

TOTAL: 42-66 (64%), 382 yds, 3 TDs, 1 INT

Tate ran for 2 TDs on top of that. Sounds decent to me.

I saw where BG was raggin on the defensive front 7 in another thread. If they're so bad, then you'd think the qb's would have all day to throw the ball. Why so many pics? Is the Defense better than advertised or is the offense as bad as it looks?

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/mobilere....xml&coll=3

Tide not in 'panic mode'

Offense hoping to learn from its many mistakes in Saturday's scrimmage

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

TUSCALOOSA -- In the aftermath of Saturday's lopsided scrimmage, Alabama's offense arrived at Monday's practice seeking payback.

"We kind of got after them this Saturday," Crimson Tide cornerback Kareem Jackson said, "and they got after us today."

How bad was it Saturday? Scrimmages often leave a gray area as to which side of the football enjoyed more success, but this wasn't like that. Statistics anointed a clear winner.

In a first formal exam under new coordinator Jim McElwain, Alabama's offense managed only three touchdowns. The Tide's four quarterbacks completed only 26-of-72 pass attempts (36.1 percent) while totaling seven interceptions.

First-string quarterback John Parker Wilson was 15-for-36 with an interception. Yet he outdid backup Greg McElroy, who was picked off four times.

"The numbers were pretty bad," Wilson said Monday, "but we're not going into panic mode or anything. It's the first scrimmage. We had five practices before it. We've just got to learn from the tape and get better. We're young with a new offense. It's not going to happen overnight."

Wilson said the offense performed better near the end of the scrimmage.

"I feel comfortable right now. I really do," Wilson said. (...maybe because he knows there's still eight months before he has to face Auburn's sack monsters? :big: ) "I feel good with everything we're doing."

I've never been one to put much stock in a single spring performance, so I'm not reading too much into it. Still, reports like this do bring a little smile to my face and give me a warm feeling.

Also, does it seem like often when people make a point of saying "We're not in panic mode", it really means that panic is at least on their mind? ...or is that just me?

Its just a front. We are trying to make good board material until the regular season. :rolleyes:

All in all, yes that is something for us Bama fans to worry about. I realize its a new system, but JP is the starter and only completed 15 passes.....not good.

No way the Tide is in panic mode. Never again since Sabear is now in charge.

The bammer's here at work are telling me everyday how bad we are going to be this year and how great they are. I ask them where they get this notion and they honestly think that it's the NRC that is pushing them over the top. I quote "This recruiting class proves that we are back, we will stomp you this year and it wouldn't surprise me if we go undefeated this year" "We win it all in 2009". I asked him who he thought was going to be playing in Atl this time (I know my fault) and without hesitation "it doesn't matter, b/c no matter who plays us, we beat them"

Now you would almost think that he is joking, but I have known him long enough to that he is serious.

The bammer's here at work are telling me everyday how bad we are going to be this year and how great they are. I ask them where they get this notion and they honestly think that it's the NRC that is pushing them over the top. I quote "This recruiting class proves that we are back, we will stomp you this year and it wouldn't surprise me if we go undefeated this year" "We win it all in 2009". I asked him who he thought was going to be playing in Atl this time (I know my fault) and without hesitation "it doesn't matter, b/c no matter who plays us, we beat them"

Now you would almost think that he is joking, but I have known him long enough to that he is serious.

Lord--it must be awful having to work with Shane from Centerpoint! You have my deepest sympathies! :big:

Lord--it must be awful having to work with Shane from Centerpoint! You have my deepest sympathies! :big:

:roflol: They are as bad as Shane. One came by my office the other day to ask me if I listened to SlimeBaum . I told him I had no reason too. I had them to listen to and that there was no difference between them and the SlimeBaum callers.

I wonder if McElwain has realized how tough it is running an offense with Pendry looking over his shoulder (and Saban looking over HIS shoulder).

All in all, yes that is something for us Bama fans to worry about. I realize its a new system, but JP is the starter and only completed 15 passes.....not good.

New System??? Bwaahahaha. You bammeretards believed Coach $ when he said that they'll be running a different style offense? Wow, just WOW. It's the same damn play book as last year. Tell me how it could be a different system.

New System??? Bwaahahaha. You bammeretards believed Coach $ when he said that they'll be running a different style offense? Wow, just WOW. It's the same damn play book as last year. Tell me how it could be a different system.

You've seen the playbook?

Who cares what "they" have. Tubs has already said this could be the most talented team he has ever had at Auburn and them ain't no small potatoes! When all our RB's are healthy and the WR's develop, watch out because the OL and D are ready. This could be a real fun year!

Ah, the biting sarcasm and wit. No one is saying you guys suck because you had one awful scrimmage. What we're saying is that you guys had one awful scrimmage because you suck.

See? Totally different.

In comparison to Alabama's scrimmage, we did.

You've seen the playbook?

of course he has! he heard it straight from thejockrap.com. Prowler always has THE MOST accurate information. EVAR. he's so well connected! :rolleyes:

Yup, the playbook consists of...JSJPW throw into the third row, throw to the other team, hit the ground in the Fetal position, get Closelined by oncoming rush, throw into double coverage, play-action roll-out but don't sell the play-action, off tackle left, pitch left, pitch right only when "Jobba The Hut" is lined up as the right tackle or tighend, off tackle right (see above), Hail Mary, Field Goal, and Punt....that about wraps it up. Oh Yeah, and shotgun QB sneak with Jimmy Jones so he can say, "See Coach Croom? uat is playing me at QB."

bammeretards.......thats a new one.

Well, Richt always says that he is more encouraged when the D dominates the O and our D usually does so....

I don't think it is cause for concern

But, I still think JPW is too inconsistent for Bama to make an SECC run

Well, Richt always says that he is more encouraged when the D dominates the O and our D usually does so....

I don't think it is cause for concern

But, I still think JPW is too inconsistent for Bama to make an SECC run

Oh yeah, no doubt. He is very inconsistent. Last year he played the UT game well, besides that.......bad.

If it makes Bama fans feel better, this is what Richt said today after our practice

Georgia coach Mark Richt was not a happy camper as he sat down to address the media following Wednesday's final workout in full pads before Saturday's G-Day game.

"I just witnessed the worse practice of the spring. It was disappointing," Richt said. "It was our last day in pads today to get in some good work but the guys looked like they weren't too interested in being out there. And it showed."

http://uga.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=793154

So, we are struggling as well

BG, win, et. al. didn't bama have a few horrible scrimmages last spring? I am positive I remember seeing stats about similar to these where JPW threw several INTs and had below 50% completion. We all know how last years squad faired.

Archived