Put a fork in her

Chuck Todd just did the math. With the size of Obama's win in NC and this Indiana thing going down to the wire and her only gaining 1 delegate on him if she wins, he can go to the super delegates and say even if they count Michigan and Florida, he still leads by 100 delegates and almost 200k in the popular vote. There's zero math that favors her.

She's also canceled her appearances on the morning talk shows tomorrow.

It's over. On to McCain v. Obama.

I'd gain a lot of respect for her if she dropped out prior to the KY and WV primaries. She's going to win those states with large margins, and the nominee getting whipped this close to the end of the process wouldn't look good, as expected as it may be.

With that said, he's going to win the remaining contests in MT, SD, and OR. Either way you look at it, she's dead and has been for a while.

Yeah. If you look at it from a conventional standpoint, she'd raise the white flag now.

But what really is her end game? By prolonging a bitter, bitter party fight, she's certainly not aiming to be the VP nominee. What's more, I'm sure the thought of Hillary and Bill running amok through the White House again is not a pleasant one to the Obama folks.

Rather, I would contend that Hillary at this point is out to throw a monkey wrench into the Obama campaign for the general election.

Why? She's already declared to anybody who will listen that Obama cannot win in November. With that in mind, she'd like nothing better than to watch Obama go down in flames, so she can step into the wreckage and claim the frontrunner position for 2012. After all, if Obama wins the election, she would have to cool her heels until 2016 to run again. So I'm guessing she's not looking to cut a deal. Her ambition is way too powerful to hang out in cabinet meetings and cut ribbons at hospitals and the like.

At the same time, she's also fighting to retain overall control of the Democratic Party on behalf of the entire Clinton camp. Peel away the veneer, and it's sheer power politics. The Clintons are fighting for their political lives, and if Obama prevails in November, then the two will spend the rest of their days in the political wilderness, without reasonable hope of redemption. If they prevail with their ruthless brand of politics, it will pretty much ensure that nobody will ever mess with them again, until they're both dead and buried with wooden stakes driven through their hearts.

And of course, there's the revenge factor to consider. She's a modern-day Lady Macbeth if ever there was one.

In fact, here's an apt column by Sally Quinn on the nature of Hillary Clinton.

Washington Post reporter

Washington Post journalist, author and Washington DC insider, Sally Quinn founded and co-moderates On Faith, a blog from the Washington Post and Newsweek. Co-moderated by Newsweek editor and bestselling author Jon Meacham and hosted by a panel of renowned religious scholars of all denominations, On Faith is the first worldwide, interactive discussion about religion and its impact on global life. more »

Main Page | Sally Quinn Archives | On Faith Archives

« PREVIOUS POST |

Hillary's Two-Way Street

“I think you have to speak out against that,” said Hillary Clinton. “You certainly have to do that, if not explicitly, then implicitly by getting up and moving.”

Clinton was talking about what she would have done had she been in Jeremiah Wright’s church.

But would she have?

The former first lady has her own Jeremiah Wright. His name is Bill Clinton.

“You don’t choose your family but you choose what church you want to attend,” she said.

But you do choose your husband.

She chose Bill Clinton. And she has not gotten up and moved.

Instead, she has enabled him over the last 32 years of their marriage, not only standing by him, denying what she knew about his womanizing and trying to delegitimize those who told the truth about it. In fact, it became such a constant in the campaign that his chief of staff Betsey Wright only half jokingly referred to these episodes as “bimbo eruptions.”

About one girlfriend, Connie Hamzy, she said,,”We have to destroy her story.” About Gennifer Flowers she denied the story even after having a tape played on television about it. It was “attack the motives and the details,”said former Clinton press secretary Dee Dee Myers told Sally Bedell Smith, author of “For Love of Politics” (ever wonder why so many former Clintonites are not supporting her or are actively supporting Obama? And what about Senate colleagues?). He was accused of sexually harassing Kathleen Willey. He was accused of rape by Juanita Broderick, exposed himself to Paula Jones and finally had a sexual relationship with a 21 year old White House intern, a few years older than his own daughter. When Clinton gave his famous finger wagging speech, lying to the country that “I did not have sexual relations with that woman,” Hillary was by his side. “That was Clinton at his cold-blooded worst,” former Clinton administration official George Stephanopoulos later wrote. Now, full of self righteous fury, he was lying with true conviction. All that mattered was his survival.” And he survived, for one reason only. Hillary Clinton supported him, denied the stories, and allowed White House operatives like Sidney Blumenthal to try to shred the characters of the women he had dallied with, particularly Monica Lewinsky who was portrayed as a stalker and a temptress.

Hillary did not get up and move.

She stood with him while he put their daughter through the most painful, humiliating and embarrassing time of her life. She watched while he squandered the last two years of his administration concentrating on saving himself. She spent days helping prepare for his grand jury testimony in which he repeatedly lied. She was there for his contempt of court citation for lying about Lewinsky and for his impeachment, for his plea bargain which cost him his law license for five years and for his pardon of criminal fugitive and political donor Marc Rich.

She did not get up and move.

Now she is running for President.

When he likened Obama’s win in South Carolina to that of Jesse Jackson’s years ago, when he described Obama’s record of opposing the war in Iraq as “the biggest fairy tale I’ve ever seen “ and when he accused the Obama campaign playing “the race card “ against him, he succeeded in polarizing the democratic electorate. Caught off mike, he then said, “I don’t think I should take any (expletive) from anybody like that.”

Later he denied having said it, “no, no no, that’s not what I said. You always follow me around and play these little games,” he said to a reporter, “and I’m not going to play your games today…You have mischaracterized it to get another cheap story to divert the American people from the real urgent issues before us”

He got red faced and angry when New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson endorsed Obama, declaring that Five times to my face he said he would never do that.” Richardson denied that. Hillary was criticized for making up a story and repeating it several times about being under sniper fire in Bosnia, when in fact she took her daughter Chelsea and was greeted on the tarmac by a young child carrying flowers. Bill Clinton remarked, “And I think she was the first lady since Eleanor Roosevelt to go into a combat zone”… (untrue), And some of them, when they’re 60, they’ll forget something when they’re tired at 11 at night, too.”

Still, she did not get up and move.

We can only guess what Bill Clinton has up his sleeve next to embarrass and humiliate his wife. More bimbo eruptions? More suspicious deals with foreign governments and questionable business associates? The release of the names of big donors to the Clinton Library and the Clinton Foundation? More painfully conflicted not so subtle put downs of her?

The Clintons have been lucky. Obama has not brought up any of these issues in this campaign. But if the Democrats are afraid of what the Republicans would do in the fall to Obama with Jeremiah Wright, just imagine the glee with which they and Karl Rove are anticipating the Clintons as opponents. Why do you think they are so hard on Obama? Obama is not nearly as vulnerable as Hillary Clinton would be. Besides, Barack Obama completely broke off his relationship with Wright. He got up and moved. Hillary has not.

Should she, will she, can she?

Yes she can. Yes she can. Yes she can.

Yeah. If you look at it from a conventional standpoint, she'd raise the white flag now.

But what really is her end game? By prolonging a bitter, bitter party fight, she's certainly not aiming to be the VP nominee. What's more, I'm sure the thought of Hillary and Bill running amok through the White House again is not a pleasant one to the Obama folks.

Rather, I would contend that Hillary at this point is out to throw a monkey wrench into the Obama campaign for the general election.

Why? She's already declared to anybody who will listen that Obama cannot win in November. With that in mind, she'd like nothing better than to watch Obama go down in flames, so she can step into the wreckage and claim the frontrunner position for 2012. After all, if Obama wins the election, she would have to cool her heels until 2016 to run again. So I'm guessing she's not looking to cut a deal. Her ambition is way too powerful to hang out in cabinet meetings and cut ribbons at hospitals and the like.

At the same time, she's also fighting to retain overall control of the Democratic Party on behalf of the entire Clinton camp. Peel away the veneer, and it's sheer power politics. The Clintons are fighting for their political lives, and if Obama prevails in November, then the two will spend the rest of their days in the political wilderness, without reasonable hope of redemption. If they prevail with their ruthless brand of politics, it will pretty much ensure that nobody will ever mess with them again, until they're both dead and buried with wooden stakes driven through their hearts.

And of course, there's the revenge factor to consider. She's a modern-day Lady Macbeth if ever there was one.

I agree.

She's definitely not for him. Just as I suppose she wasn't pulling for Kerry in 2004.

Did anyone really think that the nomination wasn't Obama's? I still think she fights it out to the bitter end and stays in it as long as she can. Dick Morris (who I would think knows the Clinton's pretty well) brought up the same point that Otter brought up. The Clinton's know this could be it for them and if she can hang around long enough to hurt Obama, and still try and make herself not look bad she will, just so she can make a run in 2012.

WinCrimson: I agree with you. I don't think she is for him. She can say she will back him all she wants, but I truly believe that she is not for him. Just like Kerry, if he had won the election, she would have to wait 8 years to get in it. A party would never go against the incumbent. So if Obama wins, the Clinton machine is pretty much dead.

Did anyone really think that the nomination wasn't Obama's? I still think she fights it out to the bitter end and stays in it as long as she can. Dick Morris (who I would think knows the Clinton's pretty well) brought up the same point that Otter brought up. The Clinton's know this could be it for them and if she can hang around long enough to hurt Obama, and still try and make herself not look bad she will, just so she can make a run in 2012.

WinCrimson: I agree with you. I don't think she is for him. She can say she will back him all she wants, but I truly believe that she is not for him. Just like Kerry, if he had won the election, she would have to wait 8 years to get in it. A party would never go against the incumbent. So if Obama wins, the Clinton machine is pretty much dead.

Yeah, although, the Clinton dynasty may already be dead. Or, in a best case scenario, it has been reduced to New York's junior Senator.

With more appealing candidates such as Richardson, Webb, Bayh, Kaine, Schweitzer, Feingold, Warner, and Tester, I think we'll finally see the death of the Clinton-Biden-Reid-Kennedy wing. The old guard will have less and less influence over the next decade as more take Obama's approach and the party adopts a more moderate facade. I'm not saying that the leaders of the past will be irrelevant, but rather the party as a whole will shift more toward nominating candidates from red/purple areas.

It's almost inevitable, too. Kerry won't run again and Kennedy wouldn't even ponder the idea. Biden has tried too many times to mount a challenge to anyone. Clinton can't win for said reasons. The Dem Senators on the Pacific coast are little known women. Dodd is out. Lieberman was kicked out. Edwards is zero for two. And Gore would probably see the presidency as beneath him after the Nobel. Daschle's fishing.

Hillary wouldn't attract any much more support than Dennis Kucinich if she were to ever run again.

Yeah, although, the Clinton dynasty may already be dead. Or, in a best case scenario, it has been reduced to New York's junior Senator.

With more appealing candidates such as Richardson, Webb, Bayh, Kaine, Schweitzer, Feingold, Warner, and Tester, I think we'll finally see the death of the Clinton-Biden-Reid-Kennedy wing. The old guard will have less and less influence over the next decade as more take Obama's approach and the party adopts a more moderate facade. I'm not saying that the leaders of the past will be irrelevant, but rather the party as a whole will shift more toward nominating candidates from red/purple areas.

It's almost inevitable, too. Kerry won't run again and Kennedy wouldn't even ponder the idea. Biden has tried too many times to mount a challenge to anyone. Clinton can't win for said reasons. The Dem Senators on the Pacific coast are little known women. Dodd is out. Lieberman was kicked out. Edwards is zero for two. And Gore would probably see the presidency as beneath him after the Nobel. Daschle's fishing.

Hillary wouldn't attract any much more support than Dennis Kucinich if she were to ever run again.

One can only hope! :thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong, it will still have a pulse. She can hold elected office in NY for as long as Robert Byrd if she so chooses.

The Bush family, on the other hand, will have nowhere to go but back to Kennebunkport. Jeb's no longer the Gov of Florida and had any Presidential aspirations dashed by his loon brother. Pops is getting older and out of the news, as well. It'll be a while before George P. hits the scene... and I'd much rather see Lauren Bush up there than him. If you haven't Googled her, now is as good of a time as any.

Don't get me wrong, it will still have a pulse. She can hold elected office in NY for as long as Robert Byrd if she so chooses.

The Bush family, on the other hand, will have nowhere to go but back to Kennebunkport. Jeb's no longer the Gov of Florida and had any Presidential aspirations dashed by his loon brother. Pops is getting older and out of the news, as well. It'll be a while before George P. hits the scene... and I'd much rather see Lauren Bush up there than him. If you haven't Googled her, now is as good of a time as any.

Even Jenna is secretly for Obama.

Big smiles in the deep south tonight...a new day is on the horizon.

You must be kidding, right ? :blink:

What if she dropped out the Democratic race, and rejoined as a 3rd party candidate in the general election. Is this possible?

What if she dropped out the Democratic race, and rejoined as a 3rd party candidate in the general election. Is this possible?

Only older women would vote for her.

Sharpton to Clinton: It's over

Posted: 09:15 AM ET

Sharpton says it's time for Clinton to quit.

(CNN) – The Rev. Al Sharpton has some blunt words for Hillary Clinton: "It's over."

Speaking on New York's Channel 1 Thursday night, Sharpton said it is now impossible for the New York senator to win the White House "without the total destruction of the Democratic Party.

Sharpton also likened Clinton to an entertainer that doesn't know when to exit the stage.

"The worst thing in the world is when an entertainer doesn’t know when the show is over," he said. "The audience is gone, the lights are down, you’re getting ready to cut the mics off and you are still on the stage singing.

"It’s over, it’s all right, it’s over," he said. "Come sing another day, but this show is over, Senator Clinton."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

Archived