Religious double standards?

CCTAU

You decide:

OMGoodness..a cross

I've long felt there's a total double standard on how the media treats liberals who talk about their faith as it pertains to politics (especially in the form of Democrat presidential candidates speaking in black churches on Sundays) versus how they utterly freak out whenever a conservative Republican does the same. This is just one more example of the mind-numbingly obvious.

I'm not sure I understand what the double standard or media bias is here. Here's the commentary in the link:

When Mike Huckabee sent out a Christmas campaign ad with a bookshelf that looked like a cross in the background the left recoiled in horror.

I think I remember seeing this ad on MSNBC which was part of a collage of all the candidates Christmas ads and I don't recall anyone "recoiling in horror" and I've gotta believe that if said recoiling occurred I would've seen it/heard it/read about it.

So...Barack Obama is doing the “Lord’s work” by campaigning for President? Whither this separation of church and state you’re always on about, liberals?

Does Barack Obama really mean that he’s doing “the Lord’s work,” or is he just thumping the bible for the rubes in the same way he puts on his lapel flag pin when its time to campaign in a red state?

The author, Rob, seems to be making quite a leap here. Nowhere in the Obama ad does it hint that his campaigning for President equates to doing "the Lord's work" nor have I ever heard him say that the two are somehow connected.

I'm not sure I understand what the double standard or media bias is here...

I think I remember seeing this ad on MSNBC which was part of a collage of all the candidates Christmas ads and I don't recall anyone "recoiling in horror" and I've gotta believe that if said recoiling occurred I would've seen it/heard it/read about it.

I remember quite the kerfuffle over it at the time. Virtually every interview Huckabee did in the days after it was first talked about was asking him about it and there were open suggestions by some commentators that it was a purposeful, subtle signal to that scary "Religious Right", blah, blah, blah.

The author, Rob, seems to be making quite a leap here. Nowhere in the Obama ad does it hint that his campaigning for President equates to doing "the Lord's work" nor have I ever heard him say that the two are somehow connected.

Maybe. But then again, Huckabee didn't say anything about "the Lord's work" either in his ad, but that didn't stop the hand wringing and church-state freakouts from popping up. Funny thing is, I haven't even heard one peep about this ad from Obama and he has an ACTUAL cross, in the ad.

Double. Standard.

ONE

TWO

THREE

FOUR

IVE

Shall I post more? Many blogs were all over this.

BEWARE THE FLOATING CROSS!!!!!

I don't really consider blogs to be the media any more than I consider AUN to be the media. It's people giving a daily editorial of their opinions with the occasional link to other blogs and/or actual news stories that they then lend their commentary.

And, with regard to the blogs you listed, the major theme seemed to be the doubt that the cross/bookcase was simply accidental/coincidental. I really didn't see a preponderance of horrific recoil because Huck spoke of religion in the ad.

I'm not sure I understand what the double standard or media bias is here...

I remember quite the kerfuffle over it at the time. Virtually every interview Huckabee did in the days after it was first talked about was asking him about it and there were open suggestions by some commentators that it was a purposeful, subtle signal to that scary "Religious Right", blah, blah, blah.

This would be the same "liberal media" who has printed and talked of nothing but Rev. Wright and snipers in Kosovo 24/7 for weeks, right?

Maybe. But then again, Huckabee didn't say anything about "the Lord's work" either in his ad, but that didn't stop the hand wringing and church-state freakouts from popping up. Funny thing is, I haven't even heard one peep about this ad from Obama and he has an ACTUAL cross, in the ad.

Double. Standard.

I'm simply commenting on the initial post and the story it linked to, not whether Obama should've done it.

You must, however, recognize that most people would naturally see these two events as being different. Rightly or wrongly, because republicans have turned so many of their political issues into religious ones, some people could legitimately be suspicious of Huck's ad because he's a Baptist minister in the republican party claiming that nobody intentionally framed the scene as it was. I personally don't see the problem with it because it's expected of him because of who he is.

I really don't care for the religious pandering, no matter who does it, because most times it comes across as simply giving a wink to those who believe as they do or as trying too hard to show their "credentials". It's as if they're saying, "I'm religious enough," and I really could care less what brand of religion they choose to practice. I'm more of a "faith without works is dead" kind of guy and don't care to see politicians putting on their sackcloth and claiming how pious they are. I would prefer Obama simply do what the message in his ad says. I don't feel like he, or anyone else, has to prove that they are religious.

Let me know when Wright is in a Christmas ad with Obama or if he has been in a Christmas ad with him already, i'd be glad to see it.

Archived